Where can I get the stuff to melt my own lead

Lead is get'n too dam* expensive! I'm gonna start using/melting these wierd shape/looking gold colored bar type things that my grandfather left under the floor boards years ago when he passed on. I wonder if i'll hv2 paint them 'white'....they look pretty shinny the way they are(?)

I stopped by a few tire shops on my search for lead and was told the same thing. Tire weights are made of steel now and the ones that are lead are taken off and sold for scrap. I asked if I could buy them... Sure for 35 bucks for a coffee can sized bucket... I did luck out at an old car junk yard. Camp stoves work, you could also try a welding shop ours had a melting pot set up they let us use for free.

You can buy shot for reloading shot gun shells works well because it's clean. Can also sew it into a canvas pouch for seat weight

When we needed lead for weights, I went to a local Plumbing Supply store. Bought in in 5 lb. blocks. If needed, all you have to do is cut it into smaller weight sizes, because it's so soft. Easy to drill a hole through it for mounting too.

Back