Which Cam works best?

Gorski07

Ive been running a 7x for quite some time with good results looking for some info on the 07-3 cam. I know alot of people who run the 04-3 but I am looking for the most versatile cam with best results. My dad and I build our own motors and I wanted to know what the best spring rates to run are with the 07-3

The rule package for the stock cam has been around for a long time and IMO cam technology pretty much peaked out not to far after the slapper cam was developed, the differences between all the cams you mentioned are slight and a race can be won with any of the three, it would come down to which cam had optimal setup for it's valve springs and more importantly who set their chassis and tires up better. But to get back to the cams, the subtle differences between the 7X and the 07 3 are that the ex close on the 07 3 is later making for a little more top end potential while the intake slap is a little softer allowing a lower intake spring pressure, it's always good to get rid of a little friction when you can. Dyno claims the 04 3 has a little more bottom than the 7X , I can't say not having built any engines using the 04 3. But I found the 07 3 to have plenty of bottom, and a good top end with right at 18 lbs spring both sides, that number being dependent on how hard you want to turn it. Jon

Yep, Jon pretty much nailed it. No big performance gains in flathead cams for many years now.
I've built plenty of engines with the 04-3 (or similar) and I can tell you that you had better have a REAL good flowing carb to go with it, AND it's very sensitive to springs and ignition timing to get it dialed in right. When it's right, you'll know it. :) It'll turn 7200 and LIKE it. Decent bottom end, yes better than 7X, but I think the real value of this cam is as a rev cam.
The 07-3 seems more forgiving, and as Jon suggested, can get away with much lighter springs. Good cam for heavy and super heavy where you need a broader power band in my opinion and makes the power at lower rpm than either of the other two cams you mentioned. It accelerates well and will still pull well on top end.
I've got a few customer engines with the 7X cam (or a variation of) in them still, and see no reason to replace them with another cam as long as the customer is happy with his engine in the current configuration. 7X was/is a great cam for gold plate, light, and medium classes.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back