Which is better?

jernie21

Is it best to set your RF neutral and adjust with your LF or to set your LF neutral and adjust on your RF. As far as cross so your not chasing all 4 corners of the kart at the track?

My quick thought about it is you wouldn't need to do either, unless your trying to fix a specific on track problem. What on track problem you trying to fix, will dictate which way you might want to try.

I like to set the washers on the RF and I never touch them again. All of the cross adjustments are done off the LF. It makes things more simple and consistent for me to do it like this. Changing both spindles can change ride height and cambers and toe.

Sorry I mistyped. I like to set my LF and then make chenges to the RF if I need to change cross. So the exact opposite of charliemac115

Yes I have heard both ways as well but I am not sure the reason behind adjusting off one or the other? Is there a reason to chose the LF rather the RF or vice versa?

As low as some cars/bodies are on the LF, I prefer to set the LF neutral (or to get necessary ride height) then adjust using the RF.
My reasoning is that the body clearance limits adjustment on the LF more than the spindle washers do. (on some karts)
I've often wondered why the front ends of most popular chassis are so low in the front already -- I understand southern tracks are much smoother than our cornfield dirt tracks, but even on scales, I've seen some chassis bottom the nose in the LF way before you run out of spindle washers on the LF. (32 1/2" LF btw.)
Now, there may be some difference in chassis flex (LF vs RF) and how your chassis reacts to a single washer adjustment that may be a reason to choose one method over the other.

I can't see that making adjustments one side over the other is going to be a big advantage, but I'd sure check with your manufacturer before coming to your own conclusion.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back