Which of the predator engines is it that uses the clone cams?

Randy at dyno cams told me that a regular clone cam will fit the hf hemi head motor that the cam journals are the exact same size. but flywheel tappers are still differnet alongwith rod journals.

I understand the cam journal is .008" smaller than the bore , how could assembling it and turning it over a few times make it fit? I could not imagine assembling an engine with that amount of clearance.

i never said it was an exact fit, it has already been stated by someone else that the journal is smaller than the bore, but i was bored and curious, so i installed the cam anyways, proceeded with assembly of the rest of the engine, and started it up. I let it run for 45 minutes at idle, and before i shut it off i gave it a few quick revs also. Im not saying the cam "fits" like it should or like i would want it to, but i am saying that it works in this engine. How long it will work is entirely another question, but with these engines costing only $120 each, im willing to run it awhile and find out.

We all do 'silly' things at one-time or another, but...wth? In this case (thats the point) you'll ruin the 'case' and the side cover and displace metal shavings thru-out the motor and probably scrap everything. Also, allowing a new too 'idle' for extended periods of time (45min) is Not a good idea....as these motors rely on 'splash' for lubrication. If you had a 'quart' of oil in it at idle, you 'might be ok. But...if you had only 13/14oz, it's probably 'history'! On the 'other-hand', maybe you have a good 'Oil' commercial. :) JMO

Randy at dyno cams told me that a regular clone cam will fit the hf hemi head motor that the cam journals are the exact same size. but flywheel tappers are still different along with rod journals.
Rod Journals Do vary from 1.188to 1.192 in 6 engines that I wrote the specs.from;That is .004 for those who care;But- I AM surprised Randy did not tell you there IS a difference in Cam Gears; Gear Teeth are thicker on SOME- Mfr.? Predators which Does result in a Cam Timing change......... I'm sure engine builders know what I'm saying....Ho Ho Ho............And Correct the Taper's are the same as "Clones"
Anyways................ MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR Dave

Last edited:
I am going to clarify my last post; The Cam Gear teeth are thicker on the cams (honda??) with the different style compression release Hope this helps

Back