Will WKA allow both style body works for LO206-2016?

It seems full bodied karts are very regional and more to the south. I race here in Canada mainly but venture to Washington state to several sprint tracks and have never seen a full bodied kart there. Up here in Canada no one runs the full body that i am aware of. Everyone uses an old or new CIK kart. Birel CRG M.S and K&K build 4stroke karts all based on CIK body work. Three quarters of these Karts at a regular club race are ex two stroke CIK karts

11251117_738990882879054_5651578291252875185_n_zpsja9zqfun.jpg

Your regional comment is very true, but I think it is more mid-west and south. Lots of Gold Cup style karts here in the Midwest. Just look at 206 Cup, SIRA, Rock Island Grand Prix, or even New Castle Motorsports Park.

While I agree with you, Tony. I don't think that is necessarily true. You put CIK noses on Towles and Fagan and I think the results wouldn't have been any different... If anything, it only proves that chassis tuning and driver are way more important than motor or what nose you have.

And just for total transparency... I am a guy that lives and dies by the laydown seat and gold cup nose. Wouldn't race any other way. Not because I think it is faster, but because it is my preference.

I'm thinking about getting a kart to run in the LO206 class at Atlanta Motorsports Park, and assumed I'd also have the option of racing at GoPro occasionally. It may have been this way in the past, but today I was looking at the GoPro LO206 rules, and unless I misinterpreted what i was reading, in 2016 they only allow CIK bodywork and no laydown seats. That's too bad, especially since they use the same tire as AMP. I don't mind the CIK bodywork, but I'm a bigger guy and was hoping a laydown seat would help me out.

206 racers need to come to grips with something. We will all be forced to run traditional cik setups in regards to seat and bodywork much sooner than later. More and more 2cycle manufacturers are getting involved in 206 and they will eventually get their way in making traditional 4cycle setups outlawed. It's just a matter of time. Not that it is my preference. I prefer freedom of choice.

Is this sarcasm? Do you actually race?

Yes and no. I'd prefer to go back to no bodywork on karts. Make people learn how to drive without smashing into everyone. I really don't see the difference, other then comfort level. We are talking about a fun and exciting category where we can take our engine anywhere in the country. Run it with CIK bodywork, run it with full bodywork. Hell, put a wing on the damn back of the kart. Doesn't matter. What matters is the nut hold the steering wheel and how it works with the rest of the kart.

11998899_10152956421331537_4375756393999218902_n.jpg

Here's the way i see it.
With the huge success of the LO 206 we are now seeing the "2 cycle" chassis mfg's wanting a piece of the pie.
That's great but for the most part they continue to make their chassis for the CIK style bodywork.
That's what they know and its easy for them.
On the other hand history shows us that the 4 cycle world of the past has used full body work (4 cycle bodywork)
The 2 cycle people that want to get into the 4 cycle market should not be driving the bus.
They will claim that the conventional 4 stroke body work has an aerodynamic advantage over the CIK bodywork.
That may be true but they can make their chassis to accept either style of body work and then the racer can decide what style they want to use.
Let the racer decide what chassis and body work they want to use.

Jimbo, it appears that the 2 cycle manufacturers are driving the bus now at AMP, too. I currently race dirt, but I wanted to get into sprint racing because AMP is only 20 minutes from my house. I wanted to use a local kart builder with good support, so I checked out the rules and chose a Razor Vortex by Roberts Kart Shop. It's a very nice 4-cycle kart with full body and laydown seat. Went to a couple races and had a great time. Everybody was very welcoming and was just happy to have all the new karts show up, full bodies and all. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, in the middle of the season, and they've announced that full bodies are no longer going to be allowed. They claim it's a "safety issue" LOL. Even though they say otherwise, I'm sure the laydown seat it next. A few weeks ago one of the new guys on a Razor won. Coincidence? Oh well... Barnesville is only a couple hours away. I know I can put CIK bodywork on my Razor, and it really doesn't make any difference to me since I'm giving up 60 lbs to the LO206 Senior class and pretty much run in the back for now anyway, but sometimes it's just the principal of the thing!

How is CIK body work safer than the conventional body work?
It seems to me it's just the opposite.
The driver has a lot more protection with 4 cycle body work.
The nose of the conventional body work is not a wedge like it is on the 2 cycle stuff.
If you want to be safer put concession kart body work on the karts.
Heck we already have concession kart plastic rear bumpers.

This is from the 3/17/2016 WKA trustee meeting:

"CIK bodywork was discussed for LO206 Jr. and Sr. for Winter Cup series for 2017.
Motion made by S. Jacobsen, second by Sieracki to run CIK bodywork for LO206 for
2017 Winter Cup with Man Cup chassis/ body specs.
In Favor: Jacobson, Klutz, Lyles, Sieracki, Seesemann. Opposed: Koehler, Cole,
Tetreault. Motion passed."

Sounds like the CIK crowd is influencing the WKA winter cup decisions also. Why would they ruin a good thing? Makes no sense to me!!!!! I sure hope this decision is revisited and overturned or they will lose most of the ones that turned out for the Winter Cup last December. From the vote above, it looks like a CIK vs Gold Cup move. And notice the Cole vote! Same Cole as posted above is my guess.

East Coast vs. West coast, I've never seen Gold Cup body work out here because 4 cycle for the most part has just returned en mass mostly due to LO206. Historically this has been IKF territory and CIK karts were all that was allowed via the rulebook. Central Ca. now has a group of WKA tracks but if you check the WKA rulebook you'll find a slant towards CIK bodywork for 4 cycles there too. All in all I believe that the body work has less to do with kart performance as much as the CIK 55.125" max rear axle width vs. the Gold Cup 50"max rear width. I've raced both.

I just don't understand it. Can someone please explain to me what the benefit of going all CIK is? Are they hoping to draw larger crowds being more uniform? There goes my hopes of ever running a Winter Cup race.

At least it is good to see David Cole doing what he said! If only we could vote in a few more folks like him.

P.S. I agree with Flash. Bodywork does not have as much to do with performance as people like to think. I would be happy with CIK bodywork rules, but allowing me to use my laydown seat. Let me get my weight as low as those small kids with all the lead bolted on around the bottom.

Last edited:
Derek, there are hundreds, maybe thousand of reasons this rule was passed. I agree, it won't be long, the lay down seat will be voted out.

Back