Winter Engine Storage

Dryslick13

What is the best way to store an engine over the winter? Was going to disconnect the fuel lines and drain the carb. Then spray WD40 in it. Also going to drain the oil. Is it best to put in fresh oil or leave it empty? Also was going to spray an oil fogger in the spark plug hole and turn the engine over a few times.

I would do all you said. We fill with regular motor oil to keep anything from rusting up from moisture.

That and roll to tdc tape up all openings . a temp controlled environment is best.
no oil prevents a leak or spill. tag it no oil.

Is it better to drain the fuel out of the carb for winter storage, or treat the fuel with Stabil or similar stabilizer? Our engine has been run on regular pump gas.

All of above plus add 1 oz of engine oil into spark plug hole, slowly rotate engine a few revolutions and install spark plug rotate to top dead center

I use a mix of gasoline, Seafoam, and 2 cycle premix oil to winterize everything I own that runs on gas. I mix it in an outboard motor tank, and when whatever I am winterizing starts smoking it's through everything and that's it. Prior to this I'd tried draining everything and fogging and still had problems. The idle circuits in some carbs are so small they can still retain fuel and gum up when drained. If you are storing in an area where things can get hot/cold/moist/dry, then I'd dump a couple caps full of automatic trans fluid into the cylinder turn it over slowly and leave it at TDC on the compression stroke. Plug exhaust and intake/carb as necessary to keep rodents and insects out.

CAPTIN 11 how much oil do you put in your motor for storage.I would do all you said.
"We fill with regular motor oil to keep anything from rusting up from moisture."

Back