Work related injury question

In Ohio(I think) it's a crime to NOT file workers comp if you are hurt working, instead covering your ills via health insurance.

I fell outta my 5th wheel travel trailer . slipped on a throw rug . Actually a pair of pliers on the rug . steps wern't down .
Funny you say that . they had a policy , where it you had no first aid or recordable injurys . you got a bonus at the end of the year .
That kept the incident rate down . Only lasted about three years . Heavy construction ; you know how that went .

True Story

We were always told each year at IBM no matter how small the injury working report it for Workers Comp.

The only person I know of who actually filed a claim was rear ended in his car while working.

To this day I can still hear him telling me how he never worried about highway speed limits.
He said, "I put the cruse control on 55 and don't worry about it.".

Often listened to an info commercial on local talk radio who had Workmen's Compensation Lawyers on selling their services.

IBM was self insured and if you didn't properly report an injury the cost came straight out of IBM's pocket.
You could be fired for not doing so which they considered falsification of paperwork and was the #1 reason employees got fired.
IBM accepted workers made mistakes and I could have cost the company a million with being told don't do it again.
But one caught lie on any document meant they lost all trust in you and you were fired.

The other easiest way to get fired is to give your Boss 30 days notice of your leaving.
The answer would be we don't need 30 days notice, leave your company stuff here today before you leave and your done working for us today.

... and IMHO their policies were perfectly reasonable.

I out lasted many who knew more then me, were paid more then me and were better techs.
Early retirement, yeah sure they even did an early retirement for the highest paid most experienced techs.
IBM flat out told them "We know your great techs who can solve the most complicated problems".
We no longer need highly skilled techs.

I always lucked out come reorganization time because I wasn't that good at it and didn't get paid like those with more years and experience did.
I lasted with IBM 40+++ years because I worked cheap, never bitched about what I had to do and never turned down a school. ... :)

edit: LOL, guess I was also honest

edit again: LOL, my wife figured out when IBM put a lot of commercials on TV another layoff was coming.
She was correct.
Thinking about it even today I think it's code for were moving more towards AI, will be more profitable and don't need as many employees.
LOL, Lots of IBM commercials might be insider code for sell stock it's going to fall and then buy it back at a lower price before it starts back up again when others see the profitability of our cut in employees. ... :) ... or maybe correct ????

Last edited:
Often listened to an info commercial on local talk radio who had Workmen's Compensation Lawyers on selling their services.

IBM was self insured and if you didn't properly report an injury the cost came straight out of IBM's pocket.
You could be fired for not doing so which they considered falsification of paperwork and was the #1 reason employees got fired.
IBM accepted workers made mistakes and I could have cost the company a million with being told don't do it again.
But one caught lie on any document meant they lost all trust in you and you were fired.

The other easiest way to get fired is to give your Boss 30 days notice of your leaving.
The answer would be we don't need 30 days notice, leave your company stuff here today before you leave and your done working for us today.

... and IMHO their policies were perfectly reasonable.

I out lasted many who knew more then me, were paid more then me and were better techs.
Early retirement, yeah sure they even did an early retirement for the highest paid most experienced techs.
IBM flat out told them "We know your great techs who can solve the most complicated problems".
We no longer need highly skilled techs.

I always lucked out come reorganization time because I wasn't that good at it and didn't get paid like those with more years and experience did.
I lasted with IBM 40+++ years because I worked cheap, never bitched about what I had to do and never turned down a school. ... :)

edit: LOL, guess I was also honest

edit again: LOL, my wife figured out when IBM put a lot of commercials on TV another layoff was coming.
She was correct.
Thinking about it even today I think it's code for were moving more towards AI, will be more profitable and don't need as many employees.
LOL, Lots of IBM commercials might be insider code for sell stock it's going to fall and then buy it back at a lower price before it starts back up again when others see the profitability of our cut in employees. ... :) ... or maybe correct ????
Younger and cheaper is usually an irresistible narcotic. But sometimes the inexperienced can look at things from a different perspective and make significant discoveries.

Back