yellow vega's to soft!!!

kdmk18

I have a set of Vega tires i jest got !!! they duro 30 on lefts and 25 on the rights how can I get the prep out of the rubber.....???

You cant get the prep out of the rubber. But you can spray them down daily with a strong degreaser like simple green or purple power, or use methanol or gas and set them out in the sun all day. Leave them out in the weather, spraying or wiping with something several times a day if possible to pull as much prep back out as possible. Over time, they will harden up some. I would just leave the left front as it is and try to harden up the other 3 tires, the softer left front will help.

Youre not goin to harden them up much without hurting the tire, and they will more than likely soften back up when raced, but not all the way back. Best bet is to use those as is and get a new set.

how would u get a set this low ive been using goat on inside and outside of a set of maxxis a while now and using heat and cant get em below 40

Yellow Vegas start around 50 so I'm assuming you probably won't get a maxxis that low with what you're using or, possibly, anything. It is very easy to over-prep Vegas.

Agree with Earl on getting Maxxis soft -- not that hard to do if you have a Maxxis rule. If not, then they're not going to be the fastest tire - a Vega Yellow of Hoosier A40 will be better.

Maxxis are synthetic rubber (plastic.) The work as a great sponge for prep. On their own, they're not very good. Vegas and Hoosiers have natural rubber in them and have a lot of natural grip to them even before prepping. That's what makes them so great on tracks that need a soft grippy tire.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

how would I go about dropping maxxis duro down around 30 brian or earl Ive rolled em internally with goat about 4oz and have wiped em externally a lot take in mind this is an older set that I had given to me but were still in decent shape I also have used torch to heat em that usually softens em and they stay that way a day or two then harden up a little

How long are you rolling them and do you have a hot box.
If you don't have a hot box, it might take you up to 24 to 48 hrs. to roll at this time of year since its cold.

If they have been sitting a while, you may need to run them some and then prep them some more. They will probably soften once you put some laps on them.

don't have a hotbox Im in the process of having one built I rolled em for 24 hours when using a hotbox what temp should I heat them at and do I take em out of the hotbox just before rolling on track or will my tire pressure change once they cool off

I'd find a better prep to use as a softener than goat, you need something that is strictly for softening, and would be best if you roll with heat. Krug Green can soften a good bit when used with heat, but is very easy to overuse also. Track Tac BTGP red or Venom Juice Soak either can drop the tire 15-20 points when rolled with heat, depending how much you roll. Your killing the tires with the goat. I prefer Venom Soak or Palmetto Original when I need to drop duro more than 10 points

Soft tires are useful

I have a set of Vega tires i jest got !!! they duro 30 on lefts and 25 on the rights how can I get the prep out of the rubber.....???

The great thing about Vega's ( and Burris) are they can be taken way down and used years latter and win races.
I have seen Vega's done seven years ago and pulled off the rack after a thunderstorm. The old Vega's won.
If you are in the low 30 or even lower and can use Vega's, they will be the tire to beat in the southeast.
Burris will be the same in the North East and Mid West.

If yo need more help Chris or I can help and will be glad to do it.
The lowest I have seen Vega's and be consistent winners is a durometer of 12. Yes 12.
You can't take them to 12 in a day or two but if you do it over a week or two they can be winners when the track is wet and way off.
We have seen similar with Burris but not quite as low ( low 20' to low 30's)
Vega's and Burris are a must have in these conditions when it is open tire rule and these tire can last you years and years with proper maintenance.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Back