Yes I am super new

top rpm somewhere between 5400-5600 rpms. I can't remember temps off the top of my head but anywhere between 480-520 cht I think should be okay.
apex....sori, I didn't see ur post til after I did mine and i'm not trying too over-ride you. However, I 'am' a bit curious in your numbers as they are far lower in rpm and far higher in cht than I am accustomed too.

apex....sori, I didn't see ur post til after I did mine and i'm not trying too over-ride you. However, I 'am' a bit curious in your numbers as they are far lower in rpm and far higher in cht than I am accustomed too.

honestly I messed up, was thinking of the wienie pipe for some reason. yes 6400-6600 is the correct rpm range. and oval racing for some reason tends to run much hotter. I rarely run the cht lead now days, and when I do run it in practices I see temps begin to exceed 480 degrees in ten laps time. I'ts not a power robber really and yes I run it fully taped in qualifying and then pull all the tape for the races. I think you know the reason for not running the cht with the AR3910X plugs... in fact no one that I know of is running the cht on for the races especially when there's money on the line.

I think you know the reason for not running the cht with the AR3910X plugs.

This is something I have not head of. Would like to know more. Can you educate me? I run 3910X and the CHT lead. Am I robbing myself of power?

Thanks!

the reasoning is simple, the object is to get as much compression as possible. the more volume you can fill up with something that isn't compressible the more compression you'll have. These little engines need all the help they can get in AKRA rules form.

We have a guy at the track that runs his motors over 500 degrees. I am just waiting for his motor to blow one day, but he is the current points leader so maybe he knows something I don't LOL

I can't say for certain if there is a definite increase in power running them hotter but I'm used to running animals on methanol at the 420-440 range so think about it. Gas has a lower flash point and naturally burns hotter so seeing temps creep beyond 500 isn't out of the realm of normalcy for me.

the reasoning is simple, the object is to get as much compression as possible. the more volume you can fill up with something that isn't compressible the more compression you'll have. These little engines need all the help they can get in AKRA rules form.

Okay, that makes some sense, however are you not running any washer between the plug and head? Is there a good seal without one? I run the CHT lead as the washer, or at least was told to do so by a builder I know when I started.

We have a guy at the track that runs his motors over 500 degrees. I am just waiting for his motor to blow one day, but he is the current points leader so maybe he knows something I don't LOL

I highly suspect he has a "high-maintenance" engine! (ie: Rings, Head Gaskets and Con-Rods).....

No washer of any kind, snug it up and keep an eye on it throughout the day. I've never had one come loose. Your builder more than likely told you to run the cht lead as the washer so that 1) the plug is further in the hole and 2) you can still keep an eye on head temps so you don't fry it.

I highly suspect he has a "high-maintenance" engine! (ie: Rings, Head Gaskets and Con-Rods).....

He's a pretty stand up guy. He's been the one that has been working with me since the beginning. I still remeber the first thing he said to me on my first ever race day; "How is it that someone with such a nice looking kart is running so far in the back?" What a bitter/sweet comment lol.

No washer of any kind, snug it up and keep an eye on it throughout the day. I've never had one come loose.

You know, I am going to try this next race weekend. I'll run the 2 practices with it in to keep an eye on my temp, then let her loose for the heats and feature. I appreciate the tip!

He more than likely is having it rebuilt every 10-13 races, that's about the same schedule I run for my pro animals before shipping them off to have them rebuilt. That's assuming he's running a top caliber clone.

Our rules state cht sensor or gasket, so you get a set of indexing washers and use the thinnest.

This is all very good information. I appreciate the tips! What about a copper washer? The soft metal crushes down moreso than other metals and thus would take up more space...is this legal with your rules?

the indexing washer's he's speaking of are made of copper, used to use them for flatheads to properly index the electrode in the head.

Back