Young adults

krtrcn

I work as a maintenance mechanic at a small company.
We have several 19 to 23 year olds. I can't believe the amount of things that these kids don't know about being an adult.
We have 3 that don't have a driver's license, and depend on a family member that also works here to provide transportation to and from work.
Two of them depends on mommy not only for transportation, to buy there dinner, clothes, and anything else they need.
None of them came read an analog clock, can't do simple math, and to make matters worse have no desire to better themselves.

I'm glad at 59 years old, I was taught at a young age to take care of myself, to have respect, and to respect the ones who made it possible to enjoy what I have.

I stop and think of this is what id have to depend on to protect this country, my fat Butt will rather do it myself.

Im glad my son's are older and are productive members of society, but lord help us with some of these younger ones.

We talk about this all the time. I had to let a young lady go last fall. She worked for me while she went to college and was planning on promoting her when she graduated.

After graduation she never progressed any. I talked to her several times about taking on more responsibility so she could earn more and the last conversation we had was she needed a $10/hour raise (go to $25 from $15) and only wanted to work Monday thru Thursday.

2 thoughts

1st this prevailing attitude makes it very easy for a motivated individual in that age bracket to succeed. My son was known in multiple TSC stores by managers and patrons because he stayed busy- found something to do. He worked at a level I would have expected as normal, but they seen it as amazing. He has since finished school and moved on and is doing well in his profession.

2nd I think this is more of a parent issue. Buying what kids want. Giving to them because they want them involved in every sport. Feeling guilty so get them whatever they want. New cell phone. Cars. There is no end. It is hard to say no, or watch them have to make hard choices. But it is what kids need. Breaks my heart to tell my daughter she can only go to one big competition a year- you must pick- dog sport or soccer. I can afford both, but I will not.

Enough rant. Back to karting.

'what's the problem with the youth of today' has been carved onto ancient Egyptian walls and was pondered over by Plato in Ancient Greece. your parents thought the same thing. Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc etc all corruptors of our youth.
Tale as old as time LOL

I work as a maintenance mechanic at a small company.
We have several 19 to 23 year olds. I can't believe the amount of things that these kids don't know about being an adult.
We have 3 that don't have a driver's license, and depend on a family member that also works here to provide transportation to and from work.
Two of them depends on mommy not only for transportation, to buy there dinner, clothes, and anything else they need.
None of them came read an analog clock, can't do simple math, and to make matters worse have no desire to better themselves.

I'm glad at 59 years old, I was taught at a young age to take care of myself, to have respect, and to respect the ones who made it possible to enjoy what I have.

I stop and think of this is what id have to depend on to protect this country, my fat Butt will rather do it myself.

Im glad my son's are older and are productive members of society, but lord help us with some of these younger ones.
You never stop being a parent -- (and grandparent.)
It's surprising how quickly a generation can forget work ethic, morals, etc.
Continue to instill Biblical values into them every chance you get. These kids have to deal with their lazy peers too.

Blessings,
Brian Carlson

I am kind of glad they medically retired me from the army early. I was a NCO and they took all of our rights and discipline from us. I had a soldier on many occasions put an EO ( equal opportunity) complaint on me because I told him to get off his mommas t*****. I watched as the military went from highly disciplined to crap. As I ventured into the civilian side of things I have seen its just as bad if not worse. It's pretty bad when the cashier can't do simple math at the checkout at kroger. SMH

Some has to be blamed on the teaching as well .. when my son was in 1st grade or whenever they start teaching spelling my wife comes home fussing saying his teacher is not gonna teach spelling bc they have spell check .. I was floored

So I send him to the grocery store to pick up some Thyme .. call back in a hour says I can’t find it anywhere lol .. I understand completely

Some has to be blamed on the teaching as well .. when my son was in 1st grade or whenever they start teaching spelling my wife comes home fussing saying his teacher is not gonna teach spelling bc they have spell check .. I was floored
Then he needs a new teacher.

Well, it is even worse today than years ago, but as a teacher I can tell you sometimes we know how to do better for our students but we are not forced to do things different evn when we know it is not the best, but most of these policies are forced by some parents and the media.

Well, it is even worse today than years ago, but as a teacher I can tell you sometimes we know how to do better for our students but we are not forced to do things different evn when we know it is not the best, but most of these policies are forced by some parents and the media.
Huh?

You never stop being a parent -- (and grandparent.)
It's surprising how quickly a generation can forget work ethic, morals, etc.
Continue to instill Biblical values into them every chance you get. These kids have to deal with their lazy peers too.

Blessings,
Brian Carlson
you said it right , the kids now days, at least some if not most know nothing biblical, i was not brought up like that, i listen to these young boys at work talk and all they worry about is getting off work to go drinking and how many girls they will be with this weekend, my generation was brought up in church, real church not this scientology and other fake religions, and more and more generations pass the less they go to church, kids just run wild because they not taught any better because the parents dont know any better. One of the kids working with us is full of tattoos and i had to show him in the bible where it says not to mark your body or put piercings and he kinda got mad, i said dont get mad at me ,i didnt say that Jesus did. i dont make the rules i just follow.

My son turns 14 next month. He's been begging for a job for 2 years now. No one will hire him due to laws. It seems there are no longer family farms that you can work at anymore. Starting at 12 I worked summers at a tree nursery, potting plants in hot greenhouses and sometimes we got to go out and lay sod in new subdivisions. LEARNED A TON. Starting high school I worked with a local farmer bailing hay mostly but other general farm work. Dang job paid better than most starting jobs now. Didn't learn a lot but it was physical labor that kept me in shape for basketball and football and put some money in the bank. Once I could drive in High school I worked at one of those 10 min oil change places. If I wasn't in a sport at the time I would work after school, if I was in a sport with practices I would just work the weekends and summers. Also worked there as a manager through my first year of college until I moved on to a dealership. I think we should allow this kids that want to work to be able to work. Carwash won't hire him, local marina won't hire him, local auto shops.. He told them he'd do anything, just clean the place and take the garbage out if they want.
So some of them are trying but to me are being held back..........I think on purpose and I could go on but I won't.

My son turns 14 next month. He's been begging for a job for 2 years now. No one will hire him due to laws. It seems there are no longer family farms that you can work at anymore. Starting at 12 I worked summers at a tree nursery, potting plants in hot greenhouses and sometimes we got to go out and lay sod in new subdivisions. LEARNED A TON. Starting high school I worked with a local farmer bailing hay mostly but other general farm work. Dang job paid better than most starting jobs now. Didn't learn a lot but it was physical labor that kept me in shape for basketball and football and put some money in the bank. Once I could drive in High school I worked at one of those 10 min oil change places. If I wasn't in a sport at the time I would work after school, if I was in a sport with practices I would just work the weekends and summers. Also worked there as a manager through my first year of college until I moved on to a dealership. I think we should allow this kids that want to work to be able to work. Carwash won't hire him, local marina won't hire him, local auto shops.. He told them he'd do anything, just clean the place and take the garbage out if they want.
So some of them are trying but to me are being held back..........I think on purpose and I could go on but I won't.
Labor laws and more government overreach. Like you, many of us had jobs when we were young. We baled hay, cut grass, cleaned gutters, shoveled snow, you name it (and sometimes without pay - just because we wanted to help out!) Today, it seems like everyone is scared of lawsuits and liability. The grocery stores locally used to hire a ton of local high school kids as baggers and stock boys. Today, everything is self check-out. Few jobs available, and the ones they do make available are never filled. The current crop of kids aren't willing to work the way that we used to (or at least many of them are not.) Enough so, that the automation increases and fewer jobs are created. It's a trend that I don't see changing. Kids today have little opportunity to earn enough money to purchase their first "beater" vehicle or save up much of anything for college. Some parents end up providing these kids with their first car. Then, big surprise, many expect their loans to be paid for by others (specifically taxpayers.)

Fortunately, we were in a position with our business to be able to keep our boys plenty busy while they were growing up. Homeschooling allowed them to work their schedules around ours, and many times that meant extended shop class. We were blessed with two sons who had a great work ethic that extended into the classroom and enabled them to get great scholarships for college so they can graduate debt free. Our oldest graduates with two bachelors and a masters in four years. The youngest will earn 2 bachelor degrees in 4 years. I wouldn't have cared if either became a tradesman or earned a degree - I have total confidence that they'll be successful in whatever they do in life because they work hard for it, working as though they are working for the Lord. (Col 3:23-24)

Back