Young adults

Well, it is even worse today than years ago, but as a teacher I can tell you sometimes we know how to do better for our students but we are not forced to do things different evn when we know it is not the best, but most of these policies are forced by some parents and the media.
I will say he’s about to graduate college and hopefully apply to med school it’s been tough on a parent going through the covid years the payments never stopped coming and we all how difficult teaching/learning was at that time I often think I taught him just as much in the shop racing .. learning how to read a tape measure,fractions.metrics and everything that goes on and off the track but he will run circles around me with his biologies chemistry mathematics and everything else he has picked at school in the last 6 years 😳.. I think he will thank me later

I really think a 25 year old man is 10 years behind what a 25 year old was 25 years ago I was terrified how in the world I’m I going to pay for everything.. the good lord will provide
they for sure dont know real life skills like when we were growing up, they may be book smart or computer smart, for sure smart phone smart but cant change a flat on their vehicle if they had to.

One of the major encumbrances that the young face in looking for employment is the minimum wage. It is hard to justify hiring a youngster to sweep floors or help him/her learn the basics of a trade when you are required to pay $20.00 an hour. The minimum wage hurts the young and the unskilled the most.
Glad to see someone get it. Business should set minimum wage not the government.

Gov sets min wage except we've got the wrong gov.
Currently 7.25 an hour federally. 50 states set individual minimums. Which government is wrong?
Median wage in America is 74k. At 7.25 an hour that would take 196 hours a week.

Minimum wage is set based on the cost of living, rather than feelings, like most business owners would go off of, without the "wrong" government being "counterproductive."

Anyway all of that is irrelevant and not allowed on Bob's. Being political (even nonchalant) is a GREAT way to get everything deleted, by starting an argument.

Mainly with me.

One of the major encumbrances that the young face in looking for employment is the minimum wage. It is hard to justify hiring a youngster to sweep floors or help him/her learn the basics of a trade when you are required to pay $20.00 an hour. The minimum wage hurts the young and the unskilled the most.
if you don't want fast food workers making 20 an hour. Stop going to McDonald's and they will have no one to serve, and no need to hire anyone. The fact that they can pay them 20 an hour and stay open and were paying them what they were, should be all the info you need, but yet here we are.
People shouldn't learn a trade based solely on income either.
If I can get paid 20 an hour to flip burgers 20 an hour to sweep floors shouldn't be a big deal, or the boss needs to sell a vacation home I guess.

if you don't want fast food workers making 20 an hour. Stop going to McDonald's and they will have no one to serve, and no need to hire anyone. The fact that they can pay them 20 an hour and stay open and were paying them what they were, should be all the info you need, but yet here we are.
People shouldn't learn a trade based solely on income either.
If I can get paid 20 an hour to flip burgers 20 an hour to sweep floors shouldn't be a big deal, or the boss needs to sell a vacation home I guess.
What a business is willing to pay or what an employee is willing to accept is none of my business. Neither did I mention Mcdonalds or any one else. I simply commented that one of the effects of minimum wage laws is unemployment of young and low skilled workers. It is an obvious consequence.

...Many adults taking second jobs in a poor economy with high inflation is also to blame. An adult with dependable transportation and a good resume / work history will get that McD's job , sweeping floors, etc. over a kid with little to no work experience and not having his/her own car.
McD's (since it was mentioned) is going automated in so many ways currently. Walk into a modern McD's and see how long it takes to get served. There is a Kiosk in most McD's now that you are expected to order from (or from their ap.) You are expected to pay with a credit or debit card so that there is absolutely no need for interaction with a human at a cash register. Your order is placed in a bin when it is ready. This is all commonplace today. They are experimenting with robots as well to actually fix your food. I suspect they'll need to go this route in California sooner than the rest of the country. Our oldest was offered a job in Santa Barbara...after finding the cost of a single BR apartment starting at $3000/mo, he quickly decided that was not sustainable with the employment offer he received and politely declined. He can keep twice as much of his money doing the same job in Illinois. He wasn't much into the west coast scene and pretty beaches anyhow, but you can see just one reason why so many are leaving Cali and headed east.

I was having problems with the student, his junior year of high school in my physical education class. He and I had always been able to work things out when he didn’t want to get dressed for phys ed class and participate with the rest of the class. I gave him other activities to do to keep him busy just so he could participate and get a passing grade. He was OK with some of it and some of it he wasn’t. One Day he came in and I had given him a job to do and he said he wasn’t gonna do it. I told him that he really didn’t have a choice or else he was gonna be sent to the office and let them handle the situation. He told me if I sent him to the office he was going to kill my blanking wife and kids and burn my blanking house down. I took him by the shirt collar and shoved them up against the bleachers. At that point I had fire in my eyes. I turned him around abruptly before I threw the punch I wanted to throw and shoved him out the door, and I said, go to the office. Long story short I got a seven page letter in my file for child abuse. I’ll leave it at that.

My most successful students are in the soccer team I coach. There is no excuse there. I lay the rules and students follow them or pay the consequences we agree and parents accept. Guess what? Most students in the team improve their grades, stop having behavior issues if they had them before, and in the last season we played both pre season tournament final championship game as well as the regular season championship game, that we lost just by PKs after we tie on regular and overtime. This season we played semifinals in preseasons and we are leading the regular season as the only undefeated team. Already in playoffs with 3 regular season games left. So yes, rules work if they let you apply them. We still have a lot of junk in sports but it is much easier because if they don't respect some of my conditions I don't coach. Wish I could do the same in my classes though. Kids are not so stupid, they like to be successful, but as all of us when young they also like to do the minimum if they can get away with it.

Back