2013 Season Souvenirs

DirtyDan

My souvenirs from the past season can be seen below. Royal Purple 5W20 changed every race day. 150 in/lbs of torque on properly lubed rod bolts. Brand new stock cranks. Turning 6300ish in BS 370 lb class. Quite a bit of timing.

thumbs_img_20140305_175621.jpg

Got a little aggravating the last time so I stayed in when I knew it was bad. Thus...

thumbs_img_20140302_135053.jpg

Silly me. Be a new program for this season.

:mad: DD

Not saying it is a cause but rod bolt torque should be 108-110in/lb this is a case where more is not better. You have over torqued by about 40% there is no need for the extra. The thumbnails are so small we cannot see detail so we assume oil starvation, but it probably distortion of the big end bore.

didn't get that arrow pointed in the right direction? lol!! I can't see anything close enough to make a informed guess....but it looks like the inside of my first predator after being oil starved in a flip. after this happens, the block makes a nice boat anchor...one other gentleman was asking on here about torquing rod bolts and the notes that i have show that the most you would want to torque a stock rod bolt is 9 ft/lbs or 108 inch/lbs.....150 is excessive and just thinking, but if you went 150, then you put a lot of stress and strain on the rod and the crank to rotate...almost to the point that you locked the rod and crank together....

just sayin!!!

I'd darn near bet you would be turning 6500+ if you torque too spec :) The problem is Not oil starvation becuz it's too common here unless you ALWAYS have run too-little oil, or....if you 'Had' the same block with the oil return hole too small or plugged off. IMO

I'd darn near bet you would be turning 6500+ if you torque too spec :) The problem is Not oil starvation becuz it's too common here unless you ALWAYS have run too-little oil, or....if you 'Had' the same block with the oil return hole too small or plugged off. IMO

Thanks for the thoughts. Two different blocks. Oil hole drilled out to 0.25 on both. 15 oz of oil. I thought I was torquing to specs. I was given the 150 in/lbs spec by a very well respected engine builder and kind of just took him at his word. My mileage on that is obvious. I will be adjusting my build - of that you can be assured ;)

Dan

Just a thought.. After a similar looking rebuild for a customer and talking to the engineers at royal purple, if it is the over the shelf 5w20 from a auto parts store the oil is not up to the task at hand. The auto parts store can however order in the product to fit the bill.

Mr. Clausen: Yes, it is (off the shelf O'Rielly's RP 5W20 full synthetic) and no it sure isn't (up to the task. ;) You would think that at the price of RP it would be liquid golden protection but not so in this case. I am thinking of going over to CoolPower Lite for this season. Can get it from the kart shop in Bellerive. Believe me, I would run SAE30 off the shelf from Hucks before I would put any more RP in my engine ;)

Dan

Older n Dirt: I saved exactly two lifters out of the bottom end. Both case and side cover cam gussets destroyed. Piston skirt busted off. Cylinder sleeve hosed. Cam bustged in two. I don't think this is even up to the task of "boat anchor." Closer to paper-weight ;) Seemed like the thing to do at the time! Not so much now.

Da(m)n

I would be so quick to down grade royal purple. I had two cases left over from my modified mini stock days (yep the same 5W20) and we ran that in our motors the last two years....I flipped my kart and the engine was till running (yeah, upside down....go figure!) and it ruined the rod bearings, toasted a billet rod and various other items decided that they had enough and gave up the ghost, but I can't attribute it to the oil. this season, we are going to use the new kart oil form lucas that arc is recommending...if it works great! if it's junk I go back to royal purple...but i'm going to use it and see!

oh...while everything inside was toast, I saved the piston.....took the rings off, cleaned it all up with a wire brush....and I use it for my change on my night stand!! still look at it smile...that flip was one wild ride!!!

I wouldn't be so quick to down grade royal purple...it's still a good oil. I had two cases left over from my modified mini stock days (yep the same 5W20) and we ran that in our motors the last two years to use it up....I flipped my kart and the engine was still running (yeah, upside down....go figure!) and it ruined the rod bearings, toasted a billet rod and various other items decided that they had enough and gave up the ghost, but I can't attribute it to the oil. this season, we are going to use the new kart oil from lucas that arc is recommending...going to use it and see!

oh...while everything inside was toast, I saved the piston.....took the rings off, cleaned it all up with a wire brush....and I use it for my change on my night stand!! still look at it smile...that flip was one wild ride!!!

.... oh...while everything inside was toast, I saved the piston.....took the rings off, cleaned it all up with a wire brush....and I use it for my change on my night stand!! still look at it smile...that flip was one wild ride!!!
Mike....you gotta think 'bigger-is-better"! I'll chk 2c if I still have my old set of '682' Big block pistons around and i'll send you one too return 'the favor'! LOL

hey that would be awesome!! bigger is always better!! that's why i want the predators....like an old cop tee shirt that i had said....38's are good, but 45's are better!!! 196 might be what some want to run, but an extra 16cc's .... now that's the ticket!!

I torque the rod blots 12 foot pounds. I use ARP Moly lube, and use new bolts every time. I check my clearances with the rod torqued the same too. The only rod problems I had were when I was turning 7000+ in a modified engine, before I started putting good rods in them.

I torque the rod blots 12 foot pounds. I use ARP Moly lube, and use new bolts every time. I check my clearances with the rod torqued the same too. The only rod problems I had were when I was turning 7000+ in a modified engine, before I started putting good rods in them.
What oil ?
RP ?

Back