2013 Season Souvenirs

If you are not checking the rod to crank clearance, and torquing the rod too tight, this could be a problem. As someone said, don't be too quick to discredit the oil. Just about every clone crank and rod I have checked are about .0005 clearance. I set mine at .0035, and never had a problem. I think(and this is my opinion) that with too little clearance, and over tightening the rod, along with the crankshaft building heat from the clutch and expanding, that there is not enough room for an oil cushion, and that's when you get the scuffing or worse, a seized rod.

I agree with Harry a pressure fed engine needs tight clearances to maintain oil pressure, but these engines benefit from plenty of oil in there. Yes those bolts were too tight the force on the threads will cause rod distortion in the center.

I've been running the rp 5-20 for 3 seasons in stock and big open modified clones. When I have disassembled the engines for routine maintenance, there has been little visible wear. I do run .0035-0040 clearance on the rods. Good luck in 2014!

Back