212 falling on its face

fast42racer

What makes a 212 Predator fall on its face after about 15 laps. Now I’m not driving the kart but my son says it just seems to start running out of power. I can see that karts start pulling away or passing easily. Two different engines seen to have acted the same. These are NOT a hemi.

It is a stock 212 with a wienie pipe, 31 jet and 10.8# green stripe springs. Governor and low oil sensor removed.

Now he ran a BOX STOCK hemi with nothing done but a big pipe and he said it runs better than both of these other engines.

Tank needs to be debris free .
Petcock could be plugged or small .
One i had too drill the vent hole bigger . It was toothpick size .
Too test the gear bound add two teeth too the driver sprocket .

Why would it fall off if it was geared too "high". I would have guessed tires fell off, I am not suggesting that, just trying to understand how you came to the gear solution.

Why would it fall off if it was geared too "high". I would have guessed tires fell off, I am not suggesting that, just trying to understand how you came to the gear solution.
If the track picked up and the tires held he could be gear bound by then but that should be seen in the datalog

No its just the data "logged". Mychron 5 does offer more features but the mychron 4 has playback feature also. What do the rpms do compared to the previous laps

I believe its refrencing numericaly lower as in 6/1 vs 4/1 . 4/1 being higher then 6/1 .

So i always have trouble with this terminology. I always think a higher gear should be a faster gear like a car which is a lower ratio and smaller rear gear. I see some of my confusion was he said add 2 teeth to the DRIVER. I did not read that close enough and assumed he was talking about the axle gear. Still I would have guessed wrong. I think I see where you all are going with this, I just have a hard time figuring this stuff out.

What is the normal for a faster or lower ratio gear. Or how is it best to explain what I mean?

Geared too high refers to too high a gear ratio. Other terminology used is geared too short, its short legged. (Faster acceleration)

Geared too low refers to too low of a gear ratio. Same as too long legged or geared too tall. (Faster top speed)

Divide the number of axle gear teeth by the number of clutch driver teeth. That gives you your gear ratio. The bigger the number you get is the more low geared you are getting. Low gearing = more bottom end vs. top end speed with a smaller number. Your tach should tell you the engine rpms, which determines what gears you should be on. This is on track, not free revving it on the kart stand.

Back