22lb valve springs on non governd stock cam. Stock carb. Stock exhaust.non hemi

Stu McQueen

Will 22lb springs work in a non hemi 212 engine with stock cam. Stock flywheel. Stock carb and jet..Stock exhaust and air filter.Only mod made is removed all governor parts and low oil sensor.. if so what should valve lash be adjusted to? Current top speed on my kart before valve float is 46mph. Wheel and tire size is 13x5.00x6 gearing is #40 chain with 10tooth clutch and 40tooth sprocket

I don't think the stock set up would handle that spring. It would probably hurt the motor more. The stock valve springs are about 9lb springs. You could try and see what happens. Also don't know if the stock push rod would take it.

Is there any advantage to putting 22lb springs in a bone stock motor. Will the cam lobes take it? Will the stock push rods take it and not bend. I know a stock predator spring doesn't have much tension or pressure so I didn't know what the push rod would stand.

22 lb springs will push valve float back and increase usable RPMs. The cam lobes will take it and the push rods will too.

While it may increase the rpm limit of the motor, the power curve is below 5000 rpm's and the stronger springs will rob power to compress. My opinion is that there is no value in a stock motor to heavier springs.

Cam shafts have an ideal rpm range. A non hemi seems to fall off after 5k rpm. You should change your cam if you cant gear down

Back