45 years ago... (enduro)

Pete_Muller

Well, here is another chassis I built from scratch, for running Open Light and Open Heavy.

The engine was built by Doug Henline. The cases, RV cover, 3rd bearing housing, cylinder and head were all made from billet. It used a K78 crank, rod and piston. Doug raced that engine a couple of times on a VanK chassis, but was getting very busy getting Proline going (the wheel business which would become Douglas Wheel). I raced the VanK chassis once, and then...

I built this chassis and all the other bits specifically to accept that engine. We did quite a bit of exhaust pipe, clutch, and carb development on this setup. This was pretty much the last of the karts running Goodyear Bluestreak tires, as the new generation tires (specifically the Dunlop, as I recall) surfaced in mid/late 1978.

I raced this chassis/engine combo for one season.

open2.jpg

open1.jpg

Last edited:
Bring it and show it off at one of the upcoming VKA events. The kart show is always a popular segment of the weekend. Cool kart.

Kart has been gone for 44 years... I don't remember who bought the chassis from me.

I believe the engine made it onto another kart for a race or two, and then the kart and engine were stolen out of someone's shop.

PM

Well, then bring yourself ! You qualify for vintage, lol. Good times with neat karts and cool people.

Back