Age requirement to run masters Class

If you're too young to join the AARP, then you shouldn't run the old man/girl classes-- which is 50!!!
Actually, I think Social Security and Medicare age might be a better requirement!
I'll be 67 in a couple weeks, and still prefer to race with the kids!!!!! But that's just me.;>
Clark Gaynor (The Old One)!!!

^^^^^^Some of the closest, most competitive, fought hard clean and SAFE, down to the wire races and finishes have been with this gentleman. While he usually comes out ahead- nothing has beat the amazing post race high fives, congrats and epic memories we created and have in common. But Clark, can you take it easy on me a little bit from now on?!?!? lol :)

Over 35 class is a joke. 35 year olds are just as fast and aggressive as anyone. The only reason they don't make it 50+ is there are fewer drivers that old still in the game. Nicholson speedway MD has 50+ class for flathead and those guys are nothing to laugh at.

Sundog

I think the best thing they could do for senior classes is to raise the weight limit a little. Not necessarily to Super Heavy weight (425#), but maybe something like 400. From what I've seen, many of the seniors are larger guys and also race Super Heavy, but are overweight for Senior. For example, I weight 230 and add 30 lbs to get to Super Heavy, but if I take my weight off I'm still 25-30 lbs heavy for Senior (375#). Seems like a lot of guys are in my same situation.

Who is gonna lift my kart with 100# of lead on it? I only weigh 170 LOL

I think the best thing they could do for senior classes is to raise the weight limit a little. Not necessarily to Super Heavy weight (425#), but maybe something like 400. From what I've seen, many of the seniors are larger guys and also race Super Heavy, but are overweight for Senior. For example, I weight 230 and add 30 lbs to get to Super Heavy, but if I take my weight off I'm still 25-30 lbs heavy for Senior (375#). Seems like a lot of guys are in my same situation.

400 has been the weight requirement for lots of years for Super Heavy, and still is at lots of venues.

Our "Elite" class (45 and up) has no weight requirement. They also really dont tech the engines much, only safety stuff. Some of the best races and rivalries come out of that class at our track.

I'm for the 50+rule. In the wka road race series, I think the masters class is 50+. 410. I had to add 40#. Most of the senior stock dirt races is 35+. I mostly race open modified or champ buggy classes. Most drivers seem to have better sense...

We don't have a masters where I race and everyone in my class, clone heavy is younger than me, I'm 63 and consider myself "mature" , don't always act it but racing brings the kid out. Having a ball and enjoy most of the young ones. What am I saying, they are all young. Sometimes I drive like they do in Florida, slow and in the way. Been racing for 5 yrs and really enjoy it and I give them a run for the money.

Sometimes I drive like they do in Florida, slow and in the way.

LOL! Do you realize that probably 90% of those drivers are from up north?

I say 50 at 410, 65+ no weight would be a good standard. I'm 60 in a couple of months, been doing it for 50+ years, and still willing to wheel anything someone would put me in. Heck, still gonna race twins at Roebling Road in October too.

I agree, leave heavy alone, I think they should put a max driver weight on, lite, med, and heavy, max for heavy say 210#
I agree they should leave heavy alone... I was talking about the Senior over 35 class. Just thought it might get the Senior kart counts up. Little guys can put more weight on, but the bigger guys can't take it off.

Why would you want to put a max driver weight on the lower weight classes, or any class for that matter? Bigger drivers are already at a disadvantage, so if they want to run the lighter classes why would you want to stop them? They just provide more money for the payout, since they probably won't be getting any of it.

A maximum kart weight on the other hand... I would be all for that. There are already light and medium classes for the smaller guys, but people still want to pack on the lead to run heavy. That seems to me to be an unfair advantage for the smaller guys.

I don't know about the rest of you, but at age 35 I felt like I was in my prime. And it showed.
I feel the same...I started racing at 35, and am now 39. I feel I am in some ways at a perfect age...I have the maturity and patience and knowledge of a grown man, but enough youth left for quick reaction times and endurance.....although that said, i'm often thankful for padded pews on Sunday morning.

Back