Akra "legal" turning 8k+

Either they are clones, which are generally accepted to be running 196cc AKRA or NKA accepted rules (which are very stringent}, or they are something else. The top engine builders in the country are producing national level winning engines and have been doing so for the past 20 years. 7000-7200 rpms is what these engines run. All of them.
Remember, turning 8000 rpms on the kart stand is a lot different than turning 8000 rpms on the race track, under load. Are you sure that's not what they are talking about? Heck mine might turn 8000 on the stand but it certainly won't race well at those rpms. If they are hitting 8 grand on the track they aren't legal clones. Period.

Either they are clones, which are generally accepted to be running 196cc AKRA or NKA accepted rules (which are very stringent}, or they are something else. The top engine builders in the country are producing national level winning engines and have been doing so for the past 20 years. 7000-7200 rpms is what these engines run. All of them.
Remember, turning 8000 rpms on the kart stand is a lot different than turning 8000 rpms on the race track, under load. Are you sure that's not what they are talking about? Heck mine might turn 8000 on the stand but it certainly won't race well at those rpms. If they are hitting 8 grand on the track they aren't legal clones. Period.
Without divine intervention, a legal AKRA or NKA motor isn't turning 8k on the stand either lol.

Without divine intervention, a legal AKRA or NKA motor isn't turning 8k on the stand either lol.
I just lost one… customer setting up their throttle cable had it go wide open on the stand and stay there long enough to float the valves out and float the rod out of it as well.. mychron 5 last said 7600 ish before the rod said I’m a 2 piecer now ! 💥

They don’t like RPM !!

I know for a fact that a certain builder cough cough *raging bull* can get Blue plate Jr3 motors to turn a consistent 7200 and win a race by a very significant margin ;)

And yes, it passed tech.

People like to talk because they know others are listening. Anyone who is volunteering info like that out is either just silly and confused or purposely doing so. If someone has an ace up their sleeve, legal or not, most would be quiet about it.

Many years ago a friend of mine and I were "loudly" speaking tire info at the front-stretch fence one night and purposely saying inaccuracies and chuckling to ourselves because we knew people were taking mental notes while eavesdropping. My buddy kept raving about how surprised he was on our decision to run 6 pounds in the left and 4 on the right (LOL!). He went on how it shouldn't work and that he couldn't believe it did. We even made up excuses as to maybe why it was working. And I played right along. By the first set of heats you could very clearly identify who was eavesdropping because they kept spinning out almost instantly on entry. By the second heat, all but one fella had switched back to normal air pressures. At the end of the feature, after spinning out multiple times, the one guy actually approached us and flat out asked us with great frustration and confusion. Me and my friend were caught off guard and had to sort of spin it like "hey man, don't believe everything you hear, we knew so and so was listening, we didn't know you did too". It was funny but we did both feel bad.

I don't play games like that anymore and have since learned that being quiet and collective is best. But now I say, listen to others at your own risk.

The racers with the best advice are many times the quiet ones not volunteering it out like that. Not speaking for everyone, but I feel like most with experience have come to prefer being asked and to stay to themselves otherwise.

Part of the reason why this forum is so great, it lets people ask in a "not heat of the moment" environment and lets others as a whole chime in.

Cheers!

Last edited:
People like to talk because they know others are listening. Anyone who is volunteering info like that out is either just silly and confused or purposely doing so. If someone has an ace up their sleeve, legal or not, most would be quiet about it.

Many years ago a friend of mine and I were "loudly" speaking tire info at the front-stretch fence one night and purposely saying inaccuracies and chuckling to ourselves because we knew people were taking mental notes while eavesdropping. My buddy kept raving about how surprised he was on our decision to run 6 pounds in the left and 4 on the right (LOL!). He went on how it shouldn't work and that he couldn't believe it did. We even made up excuses as to maybe why it was working. And I played right along. By the first set of heats you could very clearly identify who was eavesdropping because they kept spinning out almost instantly on entry. By the second heat, all but one fella had switched back to normal air pressures. At the end of the feature, after spinning out multiple times, the one guy actually approached us and flat out asked us with great frustration and confusion. Me and my friend were caught off guard and had to sort of spin it like "hey man, don't believe everything you hear, we knew so and so was listening, we didn't know you did too". It was funny but we did both feel bad.

I don't play games like that anymore and have since learned that being quiet and collective is best. But now I say, listen to others at your own risk.

The racers with the best advice are many times the quiet ones not volunteering it out like that. Not speaking for everyone, but I feel like most with experience have come to prefer being asked and to stay to themselves otherwise.

Part of the reason why this forum is so great, it lets people ask in a "not heat of the moment" environment and lets others as a whole chime in.

Cheers!
Being quiet and reserved is usually the way to go in public. However I'm a firm believer that if you're having decent success and someone is desperate enough to approach you person to person for advice, its a good idea to assist them. Especially if they are new to the sport. Not saying that you tell them exactly what your doing or reveal trade secrets, but you can at least speak in generalities and get them in the ballpark.

Being quiet and reserved is usually the way to go in public. However I'm a firm believer that if you're having decent success and someone is desperate enough to approach you person to person for advice, its a good idea to assist them. Especially if they are new to the sport. Not saying that you tell them exactly what your doing or reveal trade secrets, but you can at least speak in generalities and get them in the ballpark.
Absolutely, sometimes you gotta get the squirrels going and under control just to keep them out of your way. And if they are asking for help and willing to do what you tell them its only good for competition. I'd rather race against strong competition anyway.

The guy that stated this hangs with a local motor builder. But being new at the track, and what I had learned at the time, didn't believe it.

I've seen and heard people say they were trying reverse stagger and tire pressures, maybe not 2 lbs but still they reversed it. Couldn't see much difference on there cars. I wouldn't try it just because my boy was just getting comfortable and didn't want to throw that away

Back