AKRA stock clone name change?

staats27

Not for sure 100% what they are doing for rules in 2015 but it is quickly leaning toward a non stock clone or a builder type engine. I think it is in the best interest for the sport that they need to reevaluate the name and establish a class for new racers that is truly a stock clone again (to bring racers in to karting) When you start throwing in billet rods, bore sizes that aren't stock, and angled valves it needs to be recognized as a racing motor and not stock. Just my opinion.

$500+ is hardly affordable for your average budget racer, thats the problem with the LO206 and why it isnt catching on like some would like it to. Talk to your track about pushing the Predator engines for a pure stock class, there is already a good rule set in place for those engines and the engine can be bought locally for $85-120 just about anywhere, add a pipe, muffler, top plate, fuel pump, clutch, chain guard and go racing. Would cost around $300-350 total including the cost of the engine, and would be a good stock class like clones once were. SPG rules for these engines is a good set of rules and people seem to like them. No need to go trying to change the name or create more rules for the clones, leave them as they are.

$500+ is hardly affordable for your average budget racer, thats the problem with the LO206 and why it isnt catching on like some would like it to. Talk to your track about pushing the Predator engines for a pure stock class, there is already a good rule set in place for those engines and the engine can be bought locally for $85-120 just about anywhere, add a pipe, muffler, top plate, fuel pump, clutch, chain guard and go racing. Would cost around $300-350 total including the cost of the engine, and would be a good stock class like clones once were. SPG rules for these engines is a good set of rules and people seem to like them. No need to go trying to change the name or create more rules for the clones, leave them as they are.

What you're saying is completely true. However, the Predator is an unregulated motor made in China so how stable is the platform? What happens if we end up with a flavor of the month Predator like there currently is with clones? What happens if Harbor Freight suddenly changes suppliers like they did before? How good and consistent is it? How long will it last? And most importantly, how long will the "pure stock class" rules remain stable? For me the Predator just has way too many IF's. Flathead - clone - Predator, I don't see anything changing over the course IMO

For the cost of a set of tires I would go up to the LO206. You know what you're getting, it's sealed, the rules are stable, and it's going to run for years. I will always pay more upfront for the long term benefit and cost savings, been burned too many times before going with the cheap. That's just me.

Not sure you'll ever see a name change ....you do know what NASCAR stands for right ?

N ews
A bout
S ports
C ar
A rtificial
R ules
.........Simple: change the rules to fix the out come of the results ............................:cool:

About the clone name change yeh,. call it the Chinese have your money or go back to Stock Flathead ...................Motor ready to race $250......

My 206 can run with anything on our backyard track and trust this aint no normal bunch of "backyarders":).... Mounted on my BadMax, the 206 is super tough to beat, $550 from Carlson Motorsports :)...... I'll wax a preditor though.....

What a joke 500 dollars. Most racers spend that on a set of GOOD tires. The 206 is the answer clone will be dead in 2 years.

I like to clone because I like to tinker, it's fun. I had a 206 and was really impressed with it. It's a heck of an engine at a great price. I wonder how many people that " can't afford " a 206 have a couple hundred dollar Go Pro. You can run a 206 for a few years for that price, cheaper then a clone in the long run.

I wasn't around karting in 2005 but maybe #40 knows. How much was an LO206 and a clone motor in 2005 and how much are they respectively today? I'm thinking there's a difference.............

clones took off in 07 and back then I know I had $150 in my motor and ran it for 2 years, there was no such thing as a lo206 untill briggs seen the clones take off then they finally figured out that we had a choice and didn't have to choose between their 2 way over priced engines any more. if it wasn't for the clone we would all be paying 2200 for a flathead or 2000 for an animal by now and wondering why we spend that kind of money to race against 3 people every week

At our track last year there was about 15 to 20 clones. This year there was only 1 in the adult classes. Almost everybody blew up a clone. Now they are letting kids run the lo206 and almost everybody was looking into them at the end of the year.

clones took off in 07 and back then I know I had $150 in my motor and ran it for 2 years, there was no such thing as a lo206 untill briggs seen the clones take off then they finally figured out that we had a choice and didn't have to choose between their 2 way over priced engines any more. if it wasn't for the clone we would all be paying 2200 for a flathead or 2000 for an animal by now and wondering why we spend that kind of money to race against 3 people every week

The clones were being raced in 05, Jake is correct the 206 wasnt even a thought, brigg's and WKA were still pushing the animal.
Jimmy Simms approached briggs with the idea of a cheap version of the intech for karting and Briggs wanted no part of it until they seen a big drop off in sales, and the thousands of karters flocking to the clone, I personally will never own another briggs

At our track last year there was about 15 to 20 clones. This year there was only 1 in the adult classes. Almost everybody blew up a clone. Now they are letting kids run the lo206 and almost everybody was looking into them at the end of the year.
If everyone blew up the clones I blame the builders and not the engine
I have one of the original BSP engines here that has been raced for 3 years with just freshen ups

07 was the year it really got popular. back then the big concern was headers and drilling jets. That was the big deal back then akra was still on stock muffers and air filter and some of us outlaws ran a pulse racing 5/8 header and a filter adapter. here are a couple vids. the dirt race was about the 4th or 5th clone race ever held in iowa I paid 79 for the motor and about 15 for the filter adapter and header
I'm the red 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74CZaw-5VE&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA

now this is the following year the blue kart was a second kart we thru together for my brother to run kart was never scaled and running the motor from the first vid after about 25 races on it the black kart was me with a new motor in a kart I'd been driving for a couple months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MP_zdNjiHA&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA&index=42

now this is the next year when everybody started to complain about the specs and how unfair it was so they came out with the cl1 cam as you can see it really helped level the field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9ckMSyMaA&index=37&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA

the 206 will be the same way just like everything else people can't figure out that setup is so much more important then power and they cry cheaters and will spend what ever it takes to win and still suck

07 was the year it really got popular. back then the big concern was headers and drilling jets. That was the big deal back then akra was still on stock muffers and air filter and some of us outlaws ran a pulse racing 5/8 header and a filter adapter. here are a couple vids. the dirt race was about the 4th or 5th clone race ever held in iowa I paid 79 for the motor and about 15 for the filter adapter and header
I'm the red 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g74CZaw-5VE&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA

now this is the following year the blue kart was a second kart we thru together for my brother to run kart was never scaled and running the motor from the first vid after about 25 races on it the black kart was me with a new motor in a kart I'd been driving for a couple months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MP_zdNjiHA&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA&index=42

now this is the next year when everybody started to complain about the specs and how unfair it was so they came out with the cl1 cam as you can see it really helped level the field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9ckMSyMaA&index=37&list=UU24ux6TaBslqbtskmqgVNsA

the 206 will be the same way just like everything else people can't figure out that setup is so much more important then power and they cry cheaters and will spend what ever it takes to win and still suck

They were popular in 05 on the east coast, J&M had classes full of them in 05, there was no after market parts we still raced with the stock tank and air filter, muffler, we were buying pallets of motors and hand picking the best part.

ARKA never ran the stock muffler, the first set of rules was written by Jimmy Simms

This is the first set of rules that was published for national use, notice the muffler rule, it was the stock lawnmower mufflers
CLONE
TECHNICAL MANUAL
AND RULES
For information on the Box Stock Project LLC contact
Jimmy Sims @
office 386
-
-
4211 or cell 386
-
-
0122 Email to
sims1@windstream.net
Box Stock Project
LLC
Box Stock Project Engine Rules
For Use In Box Stock Project Classes
Box Stock Project yellow engine: 6.5h
p OHV 196cc must have
the stamped
“Box Stock Project” on the front of the bloc
k
All Engine parts must be stock OEM parts unless otherwise spelle
d out. All
gaskets must conform to stock configuration. Using more than one gasket
for side cover clearance is acceptable. Allow plus or minus .005” tolerance
on all measurements
except for stated minimum,maximum or no
-
go
dimensions when compairing to a
stock oem part.
Fuel will be gasoline. 87
-
93 octane maximum. No aftermarket coatings of
any type are permitted on any part of the engine.
Fuel tank must be removed from engine for safety reasons.
Floor mounted fuel tank can be pulsed from crankcase o
r valve cover. Any
pulse type fuel pump permitted.
Carburetor: Huayi or Rui*ing allowed. All stock carb gaskets must be
present. One extra gasket must be used with restrictor plates. Choke
assembly must be functional. Choke bore must be cast. Venturi .6
15” No
-
Go. Back carb bore .751” No
-
Go. Emulsion tube (E
-
tube) must remain
stock .064” No
-
Go. Main jet Non
-
Tech. Low Speed idle jet .019” No
-
Go.
After market air filter
is OK for use
(
K&N style filter) maximum length:
Block must remain stock. Ma
ximum bore is 2.685”. Stroke is 2.123” plus or
minus .005”.
Governor and governor components are non
-
tech.
Use of multiple gaskets is okay (gaskets must be stock configuration).
Combustion chamber minimum: 26.5cc with piston at TDC. To be
measured using pr
escribed technique.
Block may be welded for repairs as long as the repair does not constitute a
functional modification to the block. No welding to block above
cooling
fins
Cylinder Head:
No porting, grinding or modification. Valve seats
must
have
two
angles: single 45° bottom and single 30° top. Head gasket must be
stock configuration.
Valve train will remain stock. No polishing. No grinding. No Alterations.
Stock 1:1 ratio OEM rocker arms only. Stock valve springs only. Maximum
spring wire diameter is
.0705”. Maximum spring pressure is 10.8 lbs. at an
installed height of .850”.
Springs must be wound in same direction as
compared to known Box Stock spring
Stock rod only; no modifications. Stock crankshaft only; no modifications.
Stock piston only. Stoc
k rings only.
Camshaft:
Maximum running lift on exhaust is .242” taken on valve spring
retainer with zero lash. Maximum running lift on intake is .238” taken on
valve spring retainer with zero lash. Camshaft base
circle measurement
:
.865”
-
.005 “+ .01
0”.
(.860
-
.875)
Duration check for Intake and Exhaust
lobes. Intake duration of 218.5 degrees
max.
at .050 lift/85.5 degrees at
.200 lift. Exhaust duration of 221.5 degrees
max.
a
t .050 lift and
degrees
max.
at .200 lift. (All checks will allow
+2 degrees for wear and
gauge variances.)
Flywheel and ignition coil must be stock. NO alterations, NO machining.
Timing must be stock with stock flywheel key. Plastic fins must remain
stock.
Header and Muffler. Maximum length on header and muffler is 14
” and
minimum length is 10”. Header must be single stage maximum .750”
outside diameter. Muffler must be the Weiner type, part #89966 (Rotary
stocks these mufflers, also can be purchased at most lawnmower shops).
Muffler must be screwed on and unscrewed fo
r technical inspection.
Muffler must be stock and unaltered.
Pull starter must be present and remain stock. You may rotate pull starter
for a better angle to crank from.
Engine oil recovery system mandatory (oil catch can).
The above rules are written wit
h the idea of simple tech in justifying the
winner and runners up.
Do Not Read Into The Rules What Is Not There!
Jimmy Sims, BSP​

Back