American Power Sports.

that sucks! I have bought many parts from them over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I bought some sprockets and a chain breaker from APS that must have been one of their last sales near the end of October.
Another guy at our track recommended them, bummer to see them go.

NelsonPerformance wrote:

More bad news is now another company has to pick up the restrictor plate business and all the governing bodies have to make rule changes.

************************************************************************************

No need for rule changes, APS was a marketing distributor, not a manufacturer.

I'm sure the manufacturer will find a new marketing distributor and continue to sell the exact same product, or Stan will keep restrictor plate project going seperate from the original APS company.

And there are tons of plates out there in distribution already.

Sure would be nice though if WKA and IKF would award a restrictor contract to Buller Built. Hands down the best restrictor plates ever, are being made by Kermit and Crew out in Nebraska.

Mike

You are so correct about Kermit, Mike.

Coming from a competitor and tech man - the plates have been simply terrible as of late. Kermit has the capability of producing quality CONSISTENT plates to meet the need (if the sanctioning bodies would allow him.)

I don't know what's going on with Stan or APS, but I wish him well. They've been a staple in karting for a very long time. Sad to see them go.

All the best,
Brian Carlson

NelsonPerformance wrote:

More bad news is now another company has to pick up the restrictor plate business and all the governing bodies have to make rule changes.

************************************************************************************

No need for rule changes, APS was a marketing distributor, not a manufacturer.

I'm sure the manufacturer will find a new marketing distributor and continue to sell the exact same product, or Stan will keep restrictor plate project going seperate from the original APS company.

And there are tons of plates out there in distribution already.

Sure would be nice though if WKA and IKF would award a restrictor contract to Buller Built. Hands down the best restrictor plates ever, are being made by Kermit and Crew out in Nebraska.

Mike
Changes being writing the new marketing partners name in all the rule books as well as local track rules. When horstman stopped making them the sizes changed, so changes are possible as well. either way a bad deal all around.

Received this morning via email:

Hi Mike,

Read the post yesterday on 4cycle.com about APS & the restrictor plates. Yes, APS is out of business. As far as the restrictor plates, we still have them and will continue to have them. In fact we’ve been dealing with the manufacturer directly for probably the last 3 years due to APS’s financial issues and them not having the resources to purchase product.

They are being made by the same company so it’s not an issue with switching manufacturers.

Feel free to post this if you’d like (I haven’t set up an account on 4cycle.com) or call me if you have any questions.

Joe DeBoever

Target Distributing
3735 William Richardson Drive
South Bend, IN 46628
Phone: 574-272-0252

For those who don't know, Joe is in Charge of Target Distributing since his Fathers passing earlier this year. HE has been managing day to day operations for well over ten years, and is quite familiar with the restrictor plates.

It appears as Target has been taking care of us karters in this regard, and will continue doing so into the future.

Thanks for sending to me Joe, and allowing to post.

We miss your "grumpy" Father here on Bob's :(

He would have been on this rumor like a fat kid on a donut, and squashed it quickly.

Our bigger concern as karters, and good stewards of this sport, should be the circumstances that led to one of the oldest, and most respected mail order karting businesses closing their doors.

I have bee employed in the Retail/Wholesale karting business for 28 years now. At one point, I had four Rolodexes filled with kart shops we dealt with.

I am down to one Rolodex of active shops,and karting is still in one of it's worse declines (although somewhat stable at the moment) since the 70's crash.

We have seen a false rise in the economic health of our sport with the clone (and more recently the Predator) and if the upper echelons of the sport don't get a handle on it, we will stay stagnant, or continue you dwindle in numbers.

But that is topic for another post on another day.

Mike

Back