animal maintenace

ollie

I'm thinking about switching from clones to animal Alc this year. I found a good deal on a fresh animal but I'm don't have any experience with these motors. What kind of maintenance needs done after each race and at the end of the night. What kind of oil do most of you run and how many ounces.
Any info would be great and appreciated. Thanks.

Flush with gas after race. I take my carb apart a clean jets & floats etc. wd-40 rubber seat on float put back together.

You'll love the power.
Use the oil designed and produced by Briggs and Amsoil specifically for Briggs engines.
It's called Briggs 4T oil.

If racing alcohol flush with gasoline, change oil. I use Dyno K oil but will be changing to Lucus 4 stroke oil.

Great news guys.
Please use the Briggs 4T oil.
It will be the smartest decision you can make.

Great news guys.
Please use the Briggs 4T oil.
It will be the smartest decision you can make.

I skipped the clone fad... FH to Animal. ;)

Used 4T in my FH and had great results. Always came out after a nights racing looking like I had just poured it in.

More and more clone guys making the transition to the animals and LO206s.
The animal is a STOUT engine and will last and last. You will not regret your decision to go to the Animal engines.

Big key is purging the fuel system (as mentioned above.)
Pull the fuel line at the shut off valve on your fuel tank, and place it in a gas can. Run the engine for a few minutes until the gas has run through the engine thoroughly. Shut it off, then drain the gas from the fuel line. Reconnect the fuel line and leave the valve closed until you are ready to race again -- (so that it doesn't contaminate the alcohol for tech.)

I prefer to leave some gas in the bowl from one race to the next so the floats don't bounce as you trailer the kart to and from the track in your trailer.
No problems whatsoever. If you ever do have an issue at the track, have a spare inlet needle on hand, or be ready to pull the bowl and blast everything clean with brake clean -- that generally solves the sticking inlet needle problem.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Oil:

4t is good oil.

I am not so concerned with the brand of oil as I am that it is changed regularly.
As with any stock class engine in karting, there is no oil filter. Anytime you can drain the oil and replace it, increases your chances of removing harmful metal contamination and fuel dilution.

As a humorous aside, I've found a use for some of this used oil we change out every race night - I store it in a gallon jug and use it for chain bar oil in my chainsaws. They seem to thrive on it.

Show me another Kart racing oil that has rust inhibitors and anti foam agents in it.

Stock and modified small-displacement racing engines are subjected to extreme heat and elevated rpm that literally tear apart inferior oils. Viscosity loss and oil foaming can result, inviting wear and catastrophic engine failure. AMSOIL combined its extensive experience formulating high-performance synthetic lubricants with the engine-building expertise of Briggs & Stratton® to develop an oil specifically designed to help racers elicit the most horsepower and longest life from their engines. Synthetic 4T Racing Oil is proven in the lab and on the track to provide increased performance in kart, junior drag, quarter midget and other racing applications. It offers benefits other oils simply can’t match.

Formulated to Reduce Heat
Synthetic 4T Racing Oil does not contain impurities inherent to conventional oils, allowing it to naturally resist the elevated heat common to high-performance racing engines, including air-cooled models. Its increased thermal stability helps reduce operating temperatures and guards against the formation of harmful sludge and deposits, promoting optimum engine performance and life.

Maximum Horsepower & Protection
Synthetic 4T Racing Oil is engineered with specialized friction modifiers and advanced additives that reduce energy loss due to friction while providing strong anti-wear properties. As a result, Synthetic 4T Racing Oil combines the horsepower of a lite oil with the wear protection of a heavier oil.

Contains Powerful Foam Inhibitors
The churning action inside high-rpm engines introduces air into the oil, which causes lesser oils to foam. As air bubbles are drawn between engine parts, they collapse, allowing metal-to-metal contact and wear. Synthetic 4T Racing Oil is engineered with powerful anti-foam agents. It resists foam to form a durable lubricating film between engine parts.

Resists Corrosion
Synthetic 4T Racing Oil contains corrosion inhibitors to guard against the formation of corrosion between races and during longer periods of storage.

Tested and Validated by Briggs & Stratton and AMSOIL
Combines the protection of a heavier oil with the performance of a lite oil
Reduces harmful heat
Inhibits foam
Resists corrosion
APPLICATIONS
Briggs & Stratton Synthetic 4T Racing Oil is formulated specifically for stock and modified small-displacement air-cooled racing engines used in kart, junior drag, quarter midget and other racing applications. It is recommended for any four-stroke air-cooled competition engine, whether single- or multi-cylinder, splash- or pressure-lubricated, including Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engines requiring the listed viscosity and lubricating properties. Synthetic 4T Racing Oil is recommended for alcohol- and gasoline-fueled engines. Compatible with mineral oils.

Recommendations
Do not mix with polyalkylene glycol (PAG) oils when converting to Synthetic 4T Racing Oil. Drain existing oil and refill with Synthetic 4T Racing Oil. Then operate engine at idle/low speed for 2-3 minutes. Drain oil and refill with fresh Synthetic 4T Racing Oil.

Service Life
Follow the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or engine builder’s recommendations.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Briggs & Stratton Synthetic 4T Racing Oil (GBS2960)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270)
Pour Point°C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
-46 (-51)
Flash Point°C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
226 (439)
Fire Point°C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
244 (471)
Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC,
1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D 4172)
NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D 5800)
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
@ 150°C, 1.0 X 106 s.-1), cP (ASTM D 5481)

I generally pay $11-$15 per quart depending on where I buy it.

I need to find a local amsoil dealer who will give me dealer cost in exchange for homemade wine. :cool:

X2, where's the best place to get the 4T oil and get it shipped to TX?

Look online for a local amsoil dealer. They can get it and some stock it. I believe you can pay for dealer pricing on direct orders, like $40 a year or something. If you buy enough oil, you could make your money back. Or get a couple guys to pitch in.

Any Briggs Motorsports center can get the Amsoil 4T oil for you. (Most kart shops are also Motorsports centers.)
We ship daily, but as Rikk mentioned -- see if you can find some locally to you first to save on shipping.

Like I said earlier, there are lots of good oils on the market. Changing oil often is a big key to keeping contaminants out of your engine's oil. We stock several brands of oil that I would have no reservations about using. Cool Power, Thor, Red-E, Briggs 4T, Joe Gibbs Driven, and more. Some sales are motivated out of price, some out of quality, some out of performance, ad some out of marketing. These are just a few of the quality oils available to karting today.
It's important to pick one and stay with that brand. Don't start mixing oils or going from one brand to another (bad things can happen.) Change your oil often and your life will go well. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back