animal maintenace

Any Briggs Motorsports center can get the Amsoil 4T oil for you. (Most kart shops are also Motorsports centers.)
We ship daily, but as Rikk mentioned -- see if you can find some locally to you first to save on shipping.

Like I said earlier, there are lots of good oils on the market. Changing oil often is a big key to keeping contaminants out of your engine's oil. We stock several brands of oil that I would have no reservations about using. Cool Power, Thor, Red-E, Briggs 4T, Joe Gibbs Driven, and more. Some sales are motivated out of price, some out of quality, some out of performance, ad some out of marketing. These are just a few of the quality oils available to karting today.
It's important to pick one and stay with that brand. Don't start mixing oils or going from one brand to another (bad things can happen.) Change your oil often and your life will go well. :)

That's the main reason I picked 4T. I can get it at a couple different places close to home, like you said, no shipping.

There are also lots of bad oils on the market and they aren't forth coming with their specifications, ingredients or any other information.
Although, Amsoil does not tell all they are way ahead of a lot of other oils.
Any one can make "Kart racing oil" there is no independent testing like we have for automotive oils,
API and SAE (independent testing organizations) are ratings you never see on kart racing oils.
Amsoil is a real oil company with a storied history in racing. They have a proven track record that goes back decades.
PAG oil is very popular in a lot of other kart oils. Unfortunately, it can attract water and contribute to sever corrosion / rust inside the engine.
One only needs to look at the baffle in the valve cover to see this.
Briggs / Amsoil 4T has rust inhibitors in it to help prevent this.
It's not a guarantee that you won't have rust but it sure helps.

From Lucus,
We now offer a brand new product from the biggest name in racing oils, LUCAS RACING OIL. This oil has been in development for months now and after many blends and re-blends we are ready to offer it to the karting world. This oil is a high zinc (3800zppm) and phosphorus blend with added super slick and anti-wear additives that is fully compatible with GASOLINE (pump or racing) and METHANOL engines. It has a dispersion agent that allows it to atomize very well for splash lube systems and a mild detergent to help keep your engine clean. It protects exceptionally well at high head/oil temps and is non corrosive to seals. It is a medium weight oil that is light enough for any Box Stock plate/unrestricted clone, Flathead, Animal/LO206, Predator, F200 and heavy enough for S/A and Outlaw engines. This is a one and done true karting oil that will perform in all your four cycle engines. You will be able to run it longer than most other oils. ARC and the Lucas Oil Company have done extensive dyno/track testing with this oil to provide you with a dependable, long lasting, high performance true karting oil 39.99 for 5 quarts. Ya I'm just starting dookie.

I think this is getting a bit off topic.

No disrespect intended toward anyone, but I'm sure many of us reading this thread are here for something other than an oil debate. :cool::cool:

I think this is getting a bit off topic.

No disrespect intended toward anyone, but I'm sure many of us reading this thread are here for something other than an oil debate. :cool::cool:
But the question was asked; "What kind of oil do most of you run and how many ounces".
I think getting differing opinions is a good thing.
I ran 14oz. of FHS Hurricane Light and had no complaints what so ever. But since I'm out of it and a new season is around the corner I am considering the T4, maybe I'll look at the Lucas as well.

I don't want to get too far off topic , I run 14oz in everything with 15 degree mounts , animal , flat-heads and clones never had any issues , useing Thor Lite.

The Briggs oil mentioned , this is not the stuff that looks like antifreeze is it? That was in conjunction with Valvoline I think. Has anyone used it?? A buddy has a case that he said I can have if I can use it. , Sorry for running off topic. Thanks.

Valvoline made the oil (that looks like antifreeze) for Briggs previously.
It was a very good oil - but it did not play well with other oils!
If you have a fresh / clean engine, nothing wrong with the Valvoline -- just don't go mixing or jumping to another brand -- bad things can happen.

The 4T oil is made by Amsoil and is a totally different product from the previous Briggs/Valvoline oil.
I know of no issues changing to Amsoil from another brand - maybe others could chime in on this.
With that said, I still would not recommend going from one brand of oil to another without consulting with your engine builder first.

But the question was asked; "What kind of oil do most of you run and how many ounces".
I think getting differing opinions is a good thing.
I ran 14oz. of FHS Hurricane Light and had no complaints what so ever. But since I'm out of it and a new season is around the corner I am considering the T4, maybe I'll look at the Lucas as well.

True, true.

I know there isn't a lot of Briggs OHV info available like the flathead for instance and having a couple threads that cover a lot without going off into Oil Battle Royal land would be really helpful to those (myself included) who are making the switch from the FH or the dark side..

I don't want to get too far off topic , I run 14oz in everything with 15 degree mounts , animal , flat-heads and clones never had any issues , useing Thor Lite.

The Briggs oil mentioned , this is not the stuff that looks like antifreeze is it? That was in conjunction with Valvoline I think. Has anyone used it?? A buddy has a case that he said I can have if I can use it. , Sorry for running off topic. Thanks.

It looks a lot like transmission fluid. Red in color.

I'll give him $60 + shipping for the case if it's the 4T and if you don't want it. ;)

Sorry Rikk , It is the valvoline for sure , and will take care of my oil for the season . It is free for my taking but now take into account all the machine work and favors I do for him and will never take anything , it's payback time.

It tells you right in the article above not to mix 4T with PAG oils. Since a lot of "Kart racing oils" are made from PAG it's not a good idea to mix it with any other oil.
Oils that worked in a flat head did not have to be as robust as oils used in an Animal (OHV)
The cylinder pressures and therefore the pressure on the rod bearing is much greater in an Animal.
A blueprinted Animal engine has less piston clearance and runs at more RPMs than a flat head as well.

...all the machine work and favors I do for him and will never take anything , it's payback time.

Hey, I totally understand. I'm that guy too. All I ever take is the beer or a bottle that they bring over to bribe me into doing the job. :D

If I had a nickel for every job I've done for beer rather than $$$ I'd be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, smarter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at least smart enough to not work for beer.

Yup, me too. but... it's more about helping others out and good karma.

We pretty much have used them all over the last 6 years. I will not go back to Thor because of issues they had a couple years ago that we were lucky enough to be a victim of. Since then however I would think that they are all good now. I really cant say one was any better than the other.

On a side note I did purchase some Briggs 4t and sent it in with our motors to be dyno'd against what we presently run. Was told that it will show a nice difference in power however time will tell if its smoke and mirrors or really as good as they have told me once my motor guys gets done comparing it.

Well i called Lucas to see what they had to say about their new kart oil. Their response was "good luck finding it". Seriously, that's what they said! So I have a case of T4 on the way.

Back