animal timing ??

dave269

I have a WKA animal w/ a DynoCams AN-002 cam that runs on methanol, It has the 2 leg coil and briggs aluminum flywheel, Upon a rebuild I noticed that it had a #3 key in it that showed about 23* of timing on the degree wheel, Is that too low for this cam am I timing it wrong, I did it like you would with a flathead, A #6 key puts it at 28.5 which I think is right, but want to be sure so I don't burn it up, Any help would be appreciated

28.5 is fine......I am curious what flywheel you have....do you have the JR Racecar flywheel? Is this a very old motor? In my opinion it is worth the money to convert to the PVL. The old (flathead style) ignition retards at high RPM. The amount of retard can be inconsistant between different flywheels and ignitions.

This is the first time I have seen this style ignition, I usually deal with the PVL, Its a thick aluminum flywheel with one magnet, and I beleave I saw a briggs logo behind the plastic fan, what also seemed a little weird is that only the front half of the magnet passes under the coil, like the coil bosses on the block are too long, has anyone seen this ???

went to jimbo's site, it looks very close to the JR racing flywheel but doesn't have the black line by the magnet like shown in the picture, I will pop the fan off tonight to see if theres a pt# on the flywheel

The black line is from a magic marker.
Jamie is right on with his info.

I still run old style coil on my motor..#8 key with methanol..works good. Also have open motor with pvl, use straight up key in it..on methanol

Question then I also just put together animal with same cam and have the PLV flywheel and matching coil. I was wondering what key to use also. I have read that that the PLV coil retards the timing until about 2000 rpm, and that you need to check your timming over this rpm to actually know what it really is. Is this true any feed back be great.

Rob,

If you really want to know what the true timing actually is then yes use a timing light and spin engine to at least 2000 RPM or higher. Yes the PVL timing system retards the timing for easy starting and that's why you need to spin engine higher for correct timing. If you are using the stock alum briggs key, this should give you about 29 to 30 advanced timing.

Steve

Question then I also just put together animal with same cam and have the PLV flywheel and matching coil. I was wondering what key to use also. I have read that that the PLV coil retards the timing until about 2000 rpm, and that you need to check your timming over this rpm to actually know what it really is. Is this true any feed back be great.
There are times when you can get conflicting information here. Everybody gives out information with the best intentions I’m sure, but if the information conflicts, it’s up to you to prove or disprove what information is correct.

If it was me, I would be putting timing marks on the flywheel and somewhere on the cases to check the timing, while the engine is running, with a “good” timing light.

People used to tell me that the KT 100 timing would retard at high rpm. It doesn’t. It reminds me of the old truism; “I’m from Missouri”. They also said it would retard on the low-speed to make it easier to start. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but at the lowest rpm I could get the thing to run, there was no retard.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

If (when) he puts a timing light on it, he will see that the PVL ignition retards below 2000 rpm. Steve is right on the money with his advice. This information is available direct from PVL and Briggs & Stratton as well.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If (when) he puts a timing light on it, he will see that the PVL ignition retards below 2000 rpm. Steve is right on the money with his advice. This information is available direct from PVL and Briggs & Stratton as well.
I'm wondering why you don't tell us about the time you put a timing light on one. I think knowing the number of degrees it retards would be interesting reading.

Steve thanks for the input I will use a timing light and record all numbers and send them to you as well as post them. I should be able to do this over the week end. Waiting on the head to complete assembly. Again thanks.

Steve thanks for the input I will use a timing light and record all numbers and send them to you as well as post them. I should be able to do this over the week end. Waiting on the head to complete assembly. Again thanks.

Sounds good, feel free to contact us anytime about timing questions. Its a little more cumbersome when checking timing with light, but at least you know exactly what you have. There are also many top notch engine builders on this site as well that can help you.

Steve

Glad to hear you're getting sound advice from Steve.

Al, give me a call sometime -- No, not today, I'm timing an alcohol animal on the dyno for the next hour or so.
I check my ignition timing at 4000 rpm since that is close to peak torque (depending on the engine.) That's where I feel ignition timing is most critical anyway.
Your theory may differ from mine. :)

Back