Another Gearing question

I can see how you could pickup speed with a higher gear if while you were catching him in the corner you were at lower RPM and possibly in the best power band of your motor. As you came out of the corner and picked up RPM your power curve of your motor was falling off. JMO

This does make some sense to me. I was turning way too much rpm by half track on my gears.

Wouldn't a 10-57 (5.70) or even a 10-58 (5.80) be closer to a 11-63 (5.73) than a 10-59 (5.90)? Am I missing something here?
This is all based on the assumption that the tire diameters are the same also...which they might not be.

11/63 I'd pull 4, 62,61,60,59 and throw the 10 on, I don't look at a gear chart, nor do I let a calculator tell me speed, It's dirt racing not math class.

You wouldnt believe all the info that gets shared amongst the top drivers and tire guys in the country.

Dont be afraid to ask questions, maybe what you think he is saying to be a lie is the actual truth!

At a big race, between top drivers im sure you are right, but at a local saturday night track things are usually a little different...just what i have seen from experience. I have learned to not rely on others for info and expect the truth, especially with money on the line.

11/63 I'd pull 4, 62,61,60,59 and throw the 10 on, I don't look at a gear chart, nor do I let a calculator tell me speed, It's dirt racing not math class.
11/63 = 5.73
10/59 = 5.90
10/60 = 6.0
etc. etc.
I guess I don't understand what you saying.
It's great that you don't have to look at a gear chart or need a calculator to tell you the speed, but there are a lot of newcomers that do.

11/63 = 5.73
10/59 = 5.90
10/60 = 6.0
etc. etc.
I guess I don't understand what you saying.
It's great that you don't have to look at a gear chart or need a calculator to tell you the speed, but there are a lot of newcomers that do.

Just like here I never said he had to hit a 5.73, He turning the GUT'S out of it now and is still keeping pace in certain areas, thus I feel a 10-59 will be best for his situation, so that's what I responded put it on a 10-59 or 60 and SEE WHAT IT DOES. Pretty sure he read that thinking OK that's SIMPLE.

WHY he's and most Newcomers come on here cause there already FRUSTRATED, feed them to much and they might walk away saying wow this is to complicated to be fun, and SIMPLY WALK AWAY from the sport.

So YOU understand, I was not trying to match a 5.73, based on where he was and where he was running, I gave him what I felt would be best for him only having a 10 driver, If he had different front driver I would of suggested something different and it would not of been a 5.73.

Edited without the clutter so you don't get hung up on it and miss the points I was trying to get across.

Good Luck !!

I am still trying to learn all of this stuff so simple is great. I will try it. If it works, Great. If not I will go one way or the other. Like I said before, I know this gearing works on this track because I saw it first hand. I don't have any other complaints with my kart at all. It handles great all over the track. I really think this is what has been holding me back all year. I have been finishing in the top 3 in my class all season but turning the motor hard and not winning a feature race yet. Come to find out, the other two guys are in the 572 gear range. I am looking forward to Saturday even more than usual now.

I am still trying to learn all of this stuff so simple is great. I will try it. If it works, Great. If not I will go one way or the other. Like I said before, I know this gearing works on this track because I saw it first hand. I don't have any other complaints with my kart at all. It handles great all over the track. I really think this is what has been holding me back all year. I have been finishing in the top 3 in my class all season but turning the motor hard and not winning a feature race yet. Come to find out, the other two guys are in the 572 gear range. I am looking forward to Saturday even more than usual now.

Good Luck !!

Finally got to run the new gear last night. I was a lot faster than before. Started 10th in heat race came up to 2nd. In the feature I got caught up in lap traffic and the leader got away from me. Finished 2nd. So Thanks for the help. I am hitting the corners a lot faster than before and have picked up a push in the center of the corner, but I will figure that out.

Finally got to run the new gear last night. I was a lot faster than before. Started 10th in heat race came up to 2nd. In the feature I got caught up in lap traffic and the leader got away from me. Finished 2nd. So Thanks for the help. I am hitting the corners a lot faster than before and have picked up a push in the center of the corner, but I will figure that out.

Increasing LF pos camber usually will help that, or 1/2 lb more Air in the LF, Or Both
Good Luck !!

I am on an old chassis with no castor,camber adjustment. I think I was a little light on front percentage and maybe a little high on cross. I changed both today so I will try it this weekend and go from there.

Not quite enough speed...maybe should have went with the 57...

Guy's I was referring to post that certain guy's make that based on a gear change and Tire roll out they show MPH based on a change, and pointing out It's DIRT racing a lot more goes into it than a calculation, It's not that easy !!

As far as the 10-59 he was on a 10-64 little hard to convince him to go to low at the 59 or 60 that's 4 to 5 teeth a 57 would of been 7 teeth change, figured he'd bite on the 59 or 60 so this way he proved it to himself, If he had an 11 tooth front driver I'd tell him an 11-61 ish and I'm sure he'd be better yet, Bottom line he's on the right track and was faster !!

If you knew the 10-57 was the way to go you had your chance before he showed his results.

Good Luck !!

Guy's I was referring to post that certain guy's make that based on a gear change and Tire roll out they show MPH based on a change, and pointing out It's DIRT racing a lot more goes into it than a calculation, It's not that easy !!

As far as the 10-59 he was on a 10-64 little hard to convince him to go to low at the 59 or 60 that's 4 to 5 teeth a 57 would of been 7 teeth change, figured he'd bite on the 59 or 60 so this way he proved it to himself, If he had an 11 tooth front driver I'd tell him an 11-61 ish and I'm sure he'd be better yet, Bottom line he's on the right track and was faster !!

If you knew the 10-57 was the way to go you had your chance before he showed his results.

Good Luck !!

Wouldn't a 10-57 (5.70) or even a 10-58 (5.80) be closer to a 11-63 (5.73) than a 10-59 (5.90)? Am I missing something here?
This is all based on the assumption that the tire diameters are the same also...which they might not be.
Ummmmmm, I did.

Guys Ken has his drivers in the front EVERYWHERE they go no matter if it is a local show or a Maxxis National! Ken Knows his stuff!! You guys are more than welcome to come up here and run against him/and his driver anytime My money would be on Ken and his drivers....I have personally watched the kid half track second place numerous times and set fast times at most tracks they run! The OP stated he was quick after the advise the reason he fell off was due to lap traffic....The lil racer will be able to realize how to overcome and see where to go during lap traffic as he gets more seat time. If you guys know your stuff so well why don't you come prove it at the champ maxxdaddy race in Aug at Hunterstown. All other classes will be racing also! Ken's results speak for themselves and trust me plenty have taken notice over the years!!

Math or not. I really don't care. Racing promoter was willing to help. And it did. I can fine tune from there.
Thanks

Math or not. I really don't care. Racing promoter was willing to help. And it did. I can fine tune from there.
Thanks

Soon it will be like the back of your hand...Only takes some time once you start being able to read the track Ken's (Racing Promoter) info will really kick in and you guys will be winning races! Good Luck!

Back