Auto Techs - How bad is buying used cars in the future going to be?

Mac_49

I'm curious for those that have a small insight to this, if they can put .02 in.
New cars 30-40+ years down the road to me are going to be un-buyable and non-operational to a point.
All systems now are run off of a computerized program. If that system fails or crashes....it doesn't work. Those systems also get software updates (if and when available). You can bet those updates will stop which are vital to operating systems.
Navigation systems are going to get more complex to which those old Nav systems can't computer or handle. No longer a selling point when marketing lol.

KEY FOBS --> Without it, your car doesn't move. 30 years from now when they've gone missing it's not like you can just go down to Ace and get a key made. How do we overcome that? And if you thought fob's were expensive to replace....just wait until they're not manufactured anymore and have to get them programmed to your specific vehicle...

Electrical vehicles - I'd imagine with advancing technology that charging stations will upgrade how they deliver power (different plugins) and at higher power values. Older cars won't be compatible with the newer plugs and even so, with the power increase, it could fry the electronics as it's not wired for it.

Vehicle electronics are getting more and more outside interference (hackers) than before and as time goes on with no support team for older models....they'll become more and more accessible to hackers. Completely enabling some to control your car overriding your mechanical inputs.
Nowadays you can unlock and start your car with your phone....again SUPER susceptible to hacking now on the inside and what's in your pocket.

Has there been any talk about what the future holds with old technology?

You bring up some valid points. It will go one of two ways in my mind. 1: Everyone has new "cars" if thats even what they are. OR 2. Everyone still uses the old stuff because its the only thing we can keep running.

Truth be told, I'm the youngest person I know that has ever had 2 keys for the same car.

First off 30-40 years from now I ain't gonna have too worry about it .
Those problems already exist today .
It's only going too get worse as the technology gets more complex .
Even George Jetson had to take his vehicle too the repairman .

It's not about the cars, it's about profit and politics.

The future will bring a stripped down cheap unit which will be junk in two years no matter what as it was in older times.
The future will bring 5 year obsolescence the same as it was in older times when cars were worn out rust buckets in 5 years.
The future will then bring real improvements on both of the above putting car companies with quality problems at the face of bankruptcy, as it was in older times.
The future will then bring higher cost improved cars to purchase the same as it was in older times.

That is about right, profit and politics. We may possibly see government control and non electric cars banned. I heard of one country that has already announced a ban on production of non electric cars. If this happens will we see a reduction in travel? Currently electric cars can travel 250 miles on a charge. Will the cross country family car trips end? We will see an increase in rapid charging stations across the country for sure. These cars have WiFi capability so the technician can get remote access to do some repairs. Interesting thought about hacking! Also with the expense of buying the car will more people go without? They advertise the purchase price is offset by maintenance and fuel cost, but I saw where the batteries require replacement every 2 to 3 years. Might have been 4 years, but the battery cost is about $20,000. If this happens many auto technicians will be out of work. Remote repairs will cut down on the number of mechanics needed. Also small shops and independent techs might not be able to train on the new cars. I see vehicles also going the way of implement manufacturers and patent their technology. This means you can’t buy a service manual and work on your own stuff. The repair knowledge will be held to just the dealerships not the independent shops. I don’t think the changes in technology will have a great impact on sales. There are enough people that like owning the newest gadgets that will offset us old guys that want to stick with the old technology.

30 years?!? Cmon non of the crap built today will make it that far. Electric car?!? Will never work we all know this.

By the time all these issues come to be. The computers will crash and the only ones that will be driving around are those who still own a noncomputerized vehicle. Then we will be back in simpler times of the carburetor not fuel injection. Home phones not cell phones... i could go on and on...

By the time all these issues come to be. The computers will crash and the only ones that will be driving around are those who still own a noncomputerized vehicle. Then we will be back in simpler times of the carburetor not fuel injection. Home phones not cell phones... i could go on and on...
They won't be driving around if along the way to produce the needed electricity to run everything from natural gas and all other sources, the sale of natural gas to homes and all other sources of fossil fuel will be banned.

Your only source of potable fuel beyond a battery might become home made hydrogen fuel from the air via electricity. ... :)

Or ya better have yer own gas and oil well.

I see mandated gps and taxes per mile. Sooner than later.

DK
I'm not an auto tech, but I have seen some of the government side of auto development.
Most newer cars can be tracked already, driving habits are recorded (rental agencies have used this for years), and tax by the mile? I can DEFINITELY see that. I just received a speeding ticket by mail (photo taken - no way to dispute, etc) from Cedar Falls, IA, and just got a bill for $67 to drive part of the way on the Pennsylvania turnpike in a regular car! (Again, captured by photo license recognition technology)

And keep in mind that the Green New Deal has no use for internal combustion racing. It is non-essential entertainment that increases carbon footprint. Go electric or go home is their attitude.
Burning coal has been considerably cheaper way to produce electricity, but taxpayers are now expected to subsidize wind and solar methods to produce this same electricity. Go figure.
Yea, they'll tax buying, owning, (and driving) your own car to the point where they will get us to relinquish that level of personal freedom and move to their cities and use their public transportation (look up Agenda 21.)

There is hope for the motorsports enthusiast though. There are groups, such as SEMA, who are lobbying to keep classic cars (muscle cars, antiques, etc.) on the highways. It's been threatened by some states to make owning and driving older cars illegal or so expensive that people are giving up their classic rides.

About the technology...we're just on the tip of the iceberg still....there's a LOT more waiting in the wings.
Autonomous cars are being tested locally at a university, and are on the near horizon. We already have parking assist for those who can't parallel park their own car, and brake assist for those who don't pay attention or have slow reaction times while driving. Auto-pilot is coming, and fully autonomous after that.
Mercedes has already admitted that the technology has weak points and that some fatalities will certainly occur due to the limitations of the programming. They consider a certain number of injuries and fatalities worth the risk to bring autonomous vehicles on line sooner than later.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...-prioritize-occupant-safety-over-pedestrians/...and their not apologetic for their shortcomings. Pedestrians beware!

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

Aaaah, the good old days!

In my youth, I often asked my grand parents about the "good old days".

After telling me about it, the common theme was, "really wasn't that good, was it?"

They won't be driving around if along the way to produce the needed electricity to run everything from natural gas and all other sources, the sale of natural gas to homes and all other sources of fossil fuel will be banned.

Your only source of potable fuel beyond a battery might become home made hydrogen fuel from the air via electricity. ... :)

Or ya better have yer own gas and oil well.
Anyone in the racing world could make their own fuel simply with a still... that is where big oil companies get you... alcohol is a much better source of fuel than gasoline any day... i would rather it go back to simpler times than where we are now...

i got so fed up with the tec and computers, i started buying older cars and paying or doing the work my self to recondition them... in the long run it was actually cheaper. I get better gas milage with my 85 toyota pick up 2.4, 5 speed then with my 2011 toyota truck 5 speed by 10mpg.. and its got a carburetor. new cars have taken the driver out of driving, with all the auto features... ABS, power starvation when the tires spin.. ect
The Generations ahead of us will not drive. they will ride, via google maps self driving apps supplied by the government, guessing, you'll own it an pay for it, but you'll also pay by the mile to go places.

It is even worse with cars in Europe since even the same models European and Japanese are loaded with more electronics in for those markets than for the US one. Work good when they are new, then anything is expensive to fix and you can't do it yourself, and after a few years even dealers don't provide service for them so you need to buy new cars which is what they are really looking for..

Greedy as heck but a great business model....if you build something that never breaks nor needs repaired you'll never make money. See it all the time with appliances and TVs now more than ever lol

My dad talked about, in his youth, on a family trip, stopping the model A at the side of the road, catching the engine oil, removing the oil pan and filing the rod caps , if the engine got to knocking too loud. Put the pan back on and pour the same oil in. Down the road the family would go.

Can't imagine anyone doing such a thing with modern cars, even if you could get the oil pan off.

My dad talked about, in his youth, on a family trip, stopping the model A at the side of the road, catching the engine oil, removing the oil pan and filing the rod caps , if the engine got to knocking too loud. Put the pan back on and pour the same oil in. Down the road the family would go.

Can't imagine anyone doing such a thing with modern cars, even if you could get the oil pan off.
Can't imagine hardly any of the younger generation being able to do this with the old cars either.....even with a manual lol

Back