Bent Minecon?

So last night I was just getting my Minecon scaled out I kept trying to put more and more cross in. I got to the point when the kart had all the washers on the bottom of the LF and all the washers on the top of the RF and the rear is set a factory. This gave me a grand total of (Left)-62.6 (Cross)-63.8 (front)-45.5. This seemed so far off from what I needed so I continued to check and made sure my scales were level again and measured sagger and air pressure. I scaled at 1 1/12 of stagger front and rear and 6 (left) and 7 (right) PSI. I saw that and kinda didn't know how to feel about it or what to do with it now? is it a yard ornament or anyone got any ideas?

I have a 2018 minecon, with the spindles all the way down on the right front and all the way upon rhe left front, I can get close to 70% cross, with it set up that way, the LF tire shouldn't be touching the scale pad until you sit in the seat, certainly might suggest a tweak or two.in the frame somewhere...

Are your scales correct? Have you used a verified weight on each scale pad? Your scales could be off or need recalibrated. What are you using to level scales? Wood will throw your reading way off.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 minecon, with the spindles all the way down on the right front and all the way upon rhe left front, I can get close to 70% cross, with it set up that way, the LF tire shouldn't be touching the scale pad until you sit in the seat, certainly might suggest a tweak or two.in the frame somewhere...
How would go about tweaking the frame?
Do you race with 6/7 air ?
5/6 is where I would start anywhere

Are your scales correct? Have you used a verified weight on each scale pad? Your scales could be off or need recalibrated. What are you using to level scales? Wood will throw your reading way off.
my process of setting scales up is - sweep the floor, put the stand and scales down, use a 4' level and go corner to corner left to right and front to rear. Then once I'm that far I zero it and have a buddy stand on each pad, then lay the kart down- I have steel stands

First you would want too rule out bent front end components .
Was it recently in a altercation.
I couldn't think of any point when it would have went bad but there had been a few moments that could have led up to this. I'll have to look at that I could possibly see a spindle or something bent

How would go about tweaking the frame?

5/6 is where I would start anywhere
That's a good question. It's the best way I know of but you'll need to strip the frame bare, then find a really flat surface (like a table top or something of the like) and see if it won't lay flat, then start taking measurements too see if anywhere seems way out of whack, maybe see if a local body shop that has a frame machine might be able help diagnose and/or fix it for you, depending on how serious of a racer you are, some might say to use it as a boat anchor and get another one, if you're a hobby racer (like me) you can still race it and have fun, will need to be willing to try various changes, some extreme, in your scaling/set up to re-find the sweet spot...

I would not trust laying a phantom flat on a table. they have been bending the left frame rail up to keep it off the track and the front end will look wonky because the way its bent to accept the stagger in the front wheels.
1 check your pills in the rear you can get a lot of cross running the left rear down.
2 you need to check camber and toe and re check if anything is moved. right camber rear pill etc camber and washers will affect toe and camber and will affect cross numbers
3 It is very difficult scaling a kart by yourself. touching the steering wheel and moving it even the slightest bit to the left or right your numbers are junk.
4. make sure your wheels are true and you tire sizes are correct a small right front or a small left rear can give you false cross numbers
I have got as far as putting a set screw into my steering lock because the steering wheel will move getting in and out of your kart to make adjustments.
always re check everything one wheel out of toe will give you bad numbers and moving one thing changes everything.
Good luck

Make sure your axle wedge is positioned correctly first. Then set the front end washers even and get the driver in it, in race configuration and set your front end geometry. Set your caster first, then toe, then camber. Then go back and check it all in the same order. Now, if your left and front weight is close, start adjusting cross with the LF. If you get to only one washer on top of the LF, start moving the RF.

If it is bent, most likely it's the right front, a hard wall impact or impact with the front of the kart with the rf many times will push the right front of the frame upwards, causing the frame to not give the correct amount of cross when trying to scale afterwards ( its the same thing as moving the spindle up on the kingpin) ...if you're ambitious, and you can somehow strap the kart down to something, you.can stick a long prybar in there and try to gently pull it back down some...

Back