Black flagging back markers at GoPro Motorplex

I still firm believer in that if ur fast enough to be out front ur good enough to negotiate lapped traffic.

Just about every race I've been in and watched has had several karts that completely ignore the blue/yellow flag when they are being told to move out of the way of the leaders, and it almost always causes the leader to either slow down to avoid them, get wrecked passing them, or for the lapped kart to get black flagged. Seems like drivers just ignore that flag or ignore being told to move, so the black flag is needed to avoid any problems for the leader. The leaders are the ones who did their homework, got their tires right and put in the effort to earn their spots, they deserve to be able to run their race and finish it, whether it means getting some of the slower back markers off the track or not. I cant remember how many times I have seen someone leading a race for every lap only to be wrecked by a lapped kart on the last couple laps, that is just completely unfair because it doesn't matter how good you are at racing or how long you have been racing, you have no idea what that lapped kart is going to do when you go to pass...it may catch him completely off guard and cause a knee jerk reaction that causes him to turn into you or to spin, causing a pile up with one or 2 laps to go, racing is unpredictable and we all know this and have seen it happen. If you haven't seen it happen then you haven't been in karting long enough yet. I feel bad for the guys who get taken out by a lapped kart after leading a whole race, there is nothing more frustrating, annoying or downright aggravating than to have that done to you, I have been there and experienced it.

Just about every race I've been in and watched has had several karts that completely ignore the blue/yellow flag when they are being told to move out of the way of the leaders, and it almost always causes the leader to either slow down to avoid them, get wrecked passing them, or for the lapped kart to get black flagged. Seems like drivers just ignore that flag or ignore being told to move, so the black flag is needed to avoid any problems for the leader. The leaders are the ones who did their homework, got their tires right and put in the effort to earn their spots, they deserve to be able to run their race and finish it, whether it means getting some of the slower back markers off the track or not. I cant remember how many times I have seen someone leading a race for every lap only to be wrecked by a lapped kart on the last couple laps, that is just completely unfair because it doesn't matter how good you are at racing or how long you have been racing, you have no idea what that lapped kart is going to do when you go to pass...it may catch him completely off guard and cause a knee jerk reaction that causes him to turn into you or to spin, causing a pile up with one or 2 laps to go, racing is unpredictable and we all know this and have seen it happen. If you haven't seen it happen then you haven't been in karting long enough yet. I feel bad for the guys who get taken out by a lapped kart after leading a whole race, there is nothing more frustrating, annoying or downright aggravating than to have that done to you, I have been there and experienced it.

If the lap kart is so skillful at taking out the leaders attempting to pass...........why aren't the lead karts skillful enough to avoid being taken out during a pass attempt.

So often, I watched the much, much faster lead kart fall right behind the much, much slower lap kart and follow him bumper to bumper around the track, waiting, I guess, for the lap kart to just surrender his position on the track to the following kart..........instead of skilfully passing the slower kart upon catching up to him.

I never have understood the concept of single-file kart racing.

Should have seen supercross this weekend. Muscain just didn't know what to do with lap traffic and a 450 and lost the race.

If the lap kart is so skillful at taking out the leaders attempting to pass...........why aren't the lead karts skillful enough to avoid being taken out during a pass attempt.

So often, I watched the much, much faster lead kart fall right behind the much, much slower lap kart and follow him bumper to bumper around the track, waiting, I guess, for the lap kart to just surrender his position on the track to the following kart..........instead of skilfully passing the slower kart upon catching up to him.

I never have understood the concept of single-file kart racing.

Duck it doesnt matter if you have all the skill in the world, you never know what is going to happen when you go to pass any kart on the track, lap traffic or not. People react differently, especially the less experienced racers, who usually are the lap traffic. Alot of tracks around here are single groove tracks, meaning if you get out of that groove to pass, there is a pretty good chance you will either lose your spot, get into the loose stuff and wreck, or cause a wreck

You all are treating the place like it's a race track. Go to the site it's not a race track, it's an amusement ride.

Except for it being a different kind of ride, it's no different then riding "Dumbo The Elephant" at Disneyland.

Their only interest is to make it fun enough to get your money, without having anyone get hurt. If pulling lapped karts off is needed to help prevent riders from getting hurt, then that's what they will do. If you like paying for the excitement of having a chance to win, try the bursting the balloon side show Carney game, it's exactly the same hook.

If you want to race, go to a racetrack and race not an amusement park. Frankly I wish all those who are on a track just to have fun go play at their track, instead of with racers out to do all they can to win.

You all are treating the place like it's a race track. Go to the site it's not a race track, it's an amusement ride.

Paul, you might be mistaken, Jerry Dover posted that he had someone in that race using one of his engines: I was told the guy running our engine was approx. 20 seconds ahead by himself..

TechWest said this to BCarlson: Brian it was a regional club sprint race no money involved just points.

This place is far from an amusement park. This is the best facility in this region. They hold US National races. The rental karts is what keeps them in business during the week when no real racing is happening. I have raced the rental karts and the track is plenty wide for the kids to work around the lappers. I think they made the wrong decision for black flagging. Each track has its own rules and you have to play by those rules. If you don't like it take your stuff home and keep it to yourself. Just from this post alone 800 people have view this. We can't keep bashing tracks for little bitty things. Get your kid to the front and you don't have to worry about the black flag.

"The rental karts is what keeps them in business during the week when no real racing is happening."

That changes my view. Going to their site it appeared to me rental karts is their business.

Duck it doesnt matter if you have all the skill in the world, you never know what is going to happen when you go to pass any kart on the track, lap traffic or not. People react differently, especially the less experienced racers, who usually are the lap traffic. Alot of tracks around here are single groove tracks, meaning if you get out of that groove to pass, there is a pretty good chance you will either lose your spot, get into the loose stuff and wreck, or cause a wreck

Why then are not all fast kart drivers in perfect terror of the Green Flag, with all these terrible, unpredictable, dangerous drivers packed so closely at the start of the race, just looking for the opportunity to take out any kart near them?

On single groove tracks, are the starts and restarts single file?

If not, ............seems it would be grossly unfair for any kart to have to begin a race on the dangerous "no-man's land" outside that one groove.

Some of the worst wrecks I have seen involved lappers. If you are getting lapped on a mile long track in 15 laps then that speaks partly to skill level. You guys act like being removed from the track a couple laps early violates your constitutional rights. How about having some respect for people racing for the win. If I were a beginner I would not want to be in everyone's way. It can't be a good feeling getting lapped by a pack of karts fighting for a position.

On single groove tracks, are the starts and restarts single file?

If not, ............seems it would be grossly unfair for any kart to have to begin a race on the dangerous "no-man's land" outside that one groove.

How long has it been since you watched a kart race Duck? Usually, the starts are double file and the restarts/cautions are single file restarts. Do you not realize that alot of the worst wrecks involve a lapped kart or karts outside the top 10 as the cause of the wreck? Its usually unavoidable for the leader, no matter if they have raced 50 years or 5 months, are the best in the sport or the worst, it happens to everyone. Didn't the wreck that started this mess lately involve a lapped kart or a back marker? I didn't see it so I dont know what caused it

Get your kid to the front and you don't have to worry about the black flag.

Sounds like your kid is at the front..... now. But what bout the first time on track? My friend has a son that will be starting soon. Maybe he goes out and wins the first race or maybe he is nervous and drives around at half throttle. If he does drive around the track at half throttle and gets lapped after 5 laps of a 10 lap race and gets black flagged, I'm pretty sure he will not have a great racing experience. What if because of that he doesn't want to come back? You lost another competitor, the track loses another driver and revenue, and a racing dream is shattered. Just because someone who forgot whats its like to be a beginner or not have top notch equipment is worried that their little Mario don't have the skills to pass a slower kart. Elitist attitudes and big money kill the sport for people who want to have fun.

OK 2 things we race locally as well as nationally , at Barnesville about 3 years ago we started on pole with 16 entries by the end of the 20 lap race my son and second place were about 5 kart lengths from lapping 3rd and no problems . In my opinion if they had blacked flagged the others before they caught them it would have been a boring race for them .

Also isn't the lo206 class suppose to mean local option for beginners? Split the class up if its a big problem and call it 206 pro .

.................. Usually, the starts are double file and the restarts/cautions are single file restarts. .........

On a single groove track? Why? Seems a double file start is discriminatory........being that the outside file must begin the race on a racing surface that is not suitable for racing.........that all other racers avoid at all costs during the race.

Passing lapped traffic turns a boring race interesting...it's supposed to influence the outcome of a race. "Strategery", as Bush called it

Back