Building a tire resurfacer

Do you have the ace link to the motor that you bought?

I didnt buy it online, i walked in the store and got it, but let me look online and i can pick out the one i have, ill post a link for you. Its basically just a industrial 120V AC motor like you see on alot of old bench grinders, belt driven ac compressors and things like that....The Dayton and GE brand's are some of the better ones out there and last a very long time, 1 phase motors will work just fine for tire machines, but if you can find a 3 phase motor cheap, they are the best ones to use from what i have seen, and are more reliable when it comes to the brushes and internal parts not failing. Look for one that is reversible, that means you can spin the shaft either direction when working on tires. With mine, i just flip a switch to turn it on, then spin the tire whichever way i want it to spin and go to work. I like to resurface them with the tire spinning away from me rather than towards me, it leaves a better finish that way and doesnt require as many passes to resurface the tire, usually 2 passes and im done, sometimes just one is all it takes.

Edit: I looked at the Ace online website and they dont even have electric motors listed on the website for some reason, my local store had several to choose from, 1/4hp up to 3hp. The one i got is a Dayton brand 1/4hp motor, and the shaft can be spun either direction although im not sure what the correct term for that is but i know there is something they call that. Im not too knowledgable on electric motors. I looked around online and found one that looks like mine, but is a little higher price wise, different brand also. The one i got were designed to be used as blower motor's for a furnace/stove, so you can usually find them on old stoves and stuff like that which have an electric blower on them, i have seen several at the local junkyard here.

Here is one like what im talking about, that i found online....http://www.zoro.com/ametek-lamb-uni...gclid=CIjJ0Z6xicYCFQGnaQodYnIAuA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-1-4-HP-3-phase-electric-motor-N-O-S-/141684213066

A motor that can rotate in either direction is reversible.

I get the idea but the motors shown using the two links would not work for a tire machine,
if you look at the first motor specs it's too small and has a 20,000 rpm,
the ebay motor is 3-phase so how can you run that at home or off a generator which is single phase?

I didnt buy it online, i walked in the store and got it, but let me look online and i can pick out the one i have, ill post a link for you. Its basically just a industrial 120V AC motor like you see on alot of old bench grinders, belt driven ac compressors and things like that....The Dayton and GE brand's are some of the better ones out there and last a very long time, 1 phase motors will work just fine for tire machines, but if you can find a 3 phase motor cheap, they are the best ones to use from what i have seen, and are more reliable when it comes to the brushes and internal parts not failing. Look for one that is reversible, that means you can spin the shaft either direction when working on tires. With mine, i just flip a switch to turn it on, then spin the tire whichever way i want it to spin and go to work. I like to resurface them with the tire spinning away from me rather than towards me, it leaves a better finish that way and doesnt require as many passes to resurface the tire, usually 2 passes and im done, sometimes just one is all it takes.

Edit: I looked at the Ace online website and they dont even have electric motors listed on the website for some reason, my local store had several to choose from, 1/4hp up to 3hp. The one i got is a Dayton brand 1/4hp motor, and the shaft can be spun either direction although im not sure what the correct term for that is but i know there is something they call that. Im not too knowledgable on electric motors. I looked around online and found one that looks like mine, but is a little higher price wise, different brand also. The one i got were designed to be used as blower motor's for a furnace/stove, so you can usually find them on old stoves and stuff like that which have an electric blower on them, i have seen several at the local junkyard here.

Here is one like what im talking about, that i found online....http://www.zoro.com/ametek-lamb-uni...gclid=CIjJ0Z6xicYCFQGnaQodYnIAuA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-1-4-HP-3-phase-electric-motor-N-O-S-/141684213066

With the speeds were talking about, I wonder if an old cordless drill motor would work fine...and could easily be adapted to work with car battery for use without noisy generators...

A motor that can rotate in either direction is reversible.

I get the idea but the motors shown using the two links would not work for a tire machine,
if you look at the first motor specs it's too small and has a 20,000 rpm,
the ebay motor is 3-phase so how can you run that at home or off a generator which is single phase?

I plainly said i dont know alot about the specifics of these motors, im not an electric motor professional or anything like that, all i know is what i have. What i was trying to show in the links was the type of motor that people are using, i did say that neither of those are the same one i have. Give me a break guy, just trying to help the man out. The only reason i showed the ones i did in the links was like you said, to give someone the idea. I did say that one that spins both ways is reversible.

Would these work?? Or is the shaft going to be to heavy and short??? Also would I necessarily need the ends tj be Keyed if I am going to use a 1" hub that should clamp down tight enough on the axle??

http://t.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-10-in-x-1-in-Evaporative-Cooler-Blower-Pulley-6324/100348022

http://t.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-1-in-Evaporative-Cooler-Blower-Shaft-6736/100124732

That looks like a great low cost solution. If the set screw won't hold it (I bet it will, though), you could always drill the shaft and pin it like some do their bearings to the axle.

No need to get your panties in a wad

Your said-

The one i got is a Dayton brand 1/4hp motor, and the shaft can be spun either direction although im not sure what the correct term for that is but i know there is something they call that.

Reversible?

but if you can find a 3 phase motor cheap, they are the best ones to use from what i have seen, and are more reliable when it comes to the brushes and internal parts not failing.

So how does a 3-phase motor run on single phase which is what 90%+ of the racers have?

I plainly said i dont know alot about the specifics of these motors, im not an electric motor professional or anything like that, all i know is what i have. What i was trying to show in the links was the type of motor that people are using, i did say that neither of those are the same one i have. Give me a break guy, just trying to help the man out. The only reason i showed the ones i did in the links was like you said, to give someone the idea. I did say that one that spins both ways is reversible.

So how does a 3-phase motor run on single phase which is what 90%+ of the racers have?
and you're right, but I would venture to guess that number would be closer to 97%. There are ways to convert single phase to 3 phase, but the costs for the converter is prohibitive.

And when you consider the fact that every electric motor in your home is single phase, and some last for years on end, I don't see any advantage to 3 phase.

I do not know the specifics of what or why or how these little motors work, and honestly dont care to learn....was just trying to show the guy something he could find and use, like what i am using and works for me, thats all. I wont keep on and on with this post trying to argue with you about this, when i've already said i dont know much about these motor's.

Justin51, send me a message on here with your number if you want and ill send you some pics of my setup sunday when i have some free time, motor and all if you need to see or if that would help any. Some guys on here get stuck on trying to argue with others rather than helping the person that asks for help, i usually just try to ignore it.

Some guys on here get stuck on trying to argue with others rather than helping the person that asks for help, i usually just try to ignore it.
I just don't understand the animosity! I agree with you, I put in some other points, and I get this? I don't understand why you can make your points and I can't make mine.

I just don't understand the animosity! I agree with you, I put in some other points, and I get this? I don't understand why you can make your points and I can't make mine.

Would be nice to see this site back to the way it was when I first joined in 2012 but I don't see that happening. You have the guys who genuinely try to help, then you have the ones who try to help, but will pick at every little thing they don't agree with or don't like, and will get to the point where its just dragging peoples posts completely off topic. Respect goes a long way with me, I show respect to those that give it to me, and I always try to help out anyone I can whether I get anything in return or not,, that is just how I was raised. Just like this thread, the guy was asking how to build a tire resurfacer and I just offered some advice and help based on what I used and what worked for me, then some other fella decided to take everything in another direction and cluttered up the post.

When asked about the motor you used you posted two links to motors that are not applicable.
So what happens when a racer buys one of these motors?

Then you post about how great a three phase motor is but when asked how that would work
on single phase power you then claim you have no knowledge of electrical motors?

Don't post BS

mbroyles3 - nice job on building your machine

Would be nice to see this site back to the way it was when I first joined in 2012 but I don't see that happening. You have the guys who genuinely try to help, then you have the ones who try to help, but will pick at every little thing they don't agree with or don't like, and will get to the point where its just dragging peoples posts completely off topic. Respect goes a long way with me, I show respect to those that give it to me, and I always try to help out anyone I can whether I get anything in return or not,, that is just how I was raised. Just like this thread, the guy was asking how to build a tire resurfacer and I just offered some advice and help based on what I used and what worked for me, then some other fella decided to take everything in another direction and cluttered up the post.

Dude, you seriously should read posts a little better, nowhere did i say the ones i posted a link of would work, i just said i posted the link to show what kind of motor i was talking about, as in an AC electric motor. I didnt say for someone to go and buy one of the motors from the link i posted.

Back