Cam Shaft

sundog

If you could magically put any cam shaft in an LO206 without breaking the seal what would you put in it? It would have to be something that would make power under the ignition cut.

There's a good one made by Briggs. It profiles out nicely, is repeatable, makes peak torque around 3300 RPM's, and peak HP around 5500 RPM's. The best part, you don't even need to remove the seal to use it!

As these questions arise, it is clear there are some that do not respect the integrity of the program. If you have any intentions of cheating this engine you do not deserve the privilege of competing in the class.

Thanks your for your opinion but 90% would do it and I'm sure they studied on it. I didn't come here to talk about competition, not everybody races. Got a shot to hell leaking 206 that needs the seal broken but I don't want to make it an animal just want to give it some more zip.

Thanks your for your opinion but 90% would do it and I'm sure they studied on it. I didn't come here to talk about competition, not everybody races. Got a shot to hell leaking 206 that needs the seal broken but I don't want to make it an animal just want to give it some more zip.

maybe B&S would send you the rebuild parts, just rebuild with new stock, and enjoy.

Sundog, gotta say that I'd argue your point that "90% would do it" strongly. Not sure of the circle you're racing in, we're seeing amazing growth out west because drivers are having fun, and the fields are so close. I'd suppose there are some that will choose to break the rules, but that's kind of how they compete in the game of life too. That's why we've worked closely with Briggs to put in place even tighter cam perameters for the 2016 rule book. Where tech does not have a strong presence, racing numbers will fall off because of people cheating. In circles with stronger programs in the tech shed, there's great racing, and a level of respect that's so cool to see. I've got dads commenting regularly about how much they appreciate the thoroughness of post-race tech, our A & B mains for junior & senior 206 racing validates the efforts made to demand that racers toe the line.

A couple links to share

https://www.facebook.com/kartprojec...2487101519642/787352388033111/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/kartprojec...2487101519642/786551614779855/?type=3&theater

If you are not competing it is simple, I would run an AN001 cam with a compression release because it is affordable, will provide performance upgrade, and the R&D has been done. Since your not racing, no magic is needed as you can just cut the seal and get rid of it so no one thinks you are representing as an LO206 nor selling as one.

It's funny I was looking at dyno cams for animal and there are 5 "stock" cams they all said to give 1/2hp more. How can you have 5 different cams that are the stock cam LOL people want to win.

Yeah, there is usually a range of specs that would still be legal for some "stock" classes. Aftermarket regrinds are in spec and legal and won't measure out of tolerance.

I think this all came about in the 80s. WKA box stock was a 5hp garden tiller engine that ran on methanol. You originally could only use stock parts only. The parts were mass produced and had a lot of variation between them. We would go through a box of 100 cams to find one with a profile we wanted. Then came the regrinds and they were eventually allowed which created a whole new business opportunity. On the other note, why do you want to build a LO206 appearing engine if you are not racing? I would do whatever you want and make it fast as hell.

Maybe he just got an LO206 engine dirt cheap because it had some problems and he just wants a little more power out of it without breaking the bank or dumping a ton of money into it? Some of you guys are blowing this way out of proportion, not everyone who asks something like this is racing or wants to cheat up an engine guys, can a man not ask a simple question and get some help without 50 posts of people basically calling him a cheater? I thought this site was about helping people, not putting people down. His original question was obviously a theoretical question or just a joke question by the way he worded it, because common sense should tell you that the cam cant be changed without breaking the seal on this engine to begin with...i dont see why people are giving him such a hard time about a simple question

Couple questions for the OP:

You asked if you could magically change the cam without breaking the seals....(tells me that you intend to keep the engine legal in appearance per Briggs LO206 rules.) Why would you even consider a WKA stock class ground cam (Dyno or other)? Why would you not want to have a cam ground that makes peak power under the current rev limiter. Custom grinds are available. Take a considerably higher lift cam and pull all the duration/overlap out of it to make it a torque monster that only needs to run 6000 rpm. Then again, why not just get rid of the rev limiter and bolt on an animal (12,000 limit) coil? Roller rockers wouldn't be out of the question either. Why stop at WKA stock animal grinds?

I think this is why so many have looked at this post as an intent to cheat. May or may not be....just was worded pretty fishy. Your posts #1 & #6 contradict themselves in your desire to not break the seals. Regardless, if you want to change the cam, you WILL be breaking the seals.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

--

Reactions: WDV