carburetor question

jwalker590

I bought a cart for my son with a 5hp techumseh. I have been through the carburetor a few times. The motor will idle but when you give it gas it falls on its face and dies. What could it be? Thanks

This may be a stupid question but are you using gas with a methanol carb? Also, I assume the Tecumseh has a diaphragm in the carb like a Briggs. That could be bad.

Chances are it is set up for alcohol, they won't run right on gas if its set up for alcohol, your lucky to get it to run at all

I looked up a Tecumseh carb for a 5hp,there should be a adjustment screw on the side, from what you're saying it sounds lean,turn it in til it stops, then back it out 1 1/2 to 2 turns,see if that helps.

Easy.... it is a plugged up carb. What you need to do depends on how badly plugged it is.. The adjustment on the side is only for the idle and likely will not help anything, if it has a plastic cap over it, it isn't even an adjustment but a fixed jet. At the bottom of the carb, holding on the carb bowl there will be either a nut or a nut with a screw adjustment in the center (adjustable main jet). If you are lucky you may be able to give them a quick cleaning and the motor will run. Unfortunately this is not real likely, in fact I seldom even bother to try the quick fix. I remove the carb and completely clean and rebuild it. Tell me weather you have the fixed (nut) at the bottom or an adjustment and I'll tell you more about what you need to do.

Chipg is right on track.
And if its been setting with pump gas in it you will likely need a new carb.
I rebuilt one for a customer and when I filled it up to run it I found out the steel float bowl was full of pin holes.

Remove the carb buy a rebuild kit or a needle and seat kit 631021B, 2 O rings #632547 and welch plugs # 631027 and 630748. Take the carb apart and clean the heck out of it. Remove the emulsion tube and the welsh plugs. You need to be careful getting the the emulsion tube out because it is made of plastic. Don't forget to get both o rings out he upper one can be a pia. The o rings are used to seal up the emulsion tube. Also get out the rubber seat out for the fuel inlet. When re-installing that seat be sure to put the side with the concentric rings away from the needle.
Tecumseh carbs have a bunch of little holes in them and they all must be cleaned, I use wire torch tip cleaners. Unfortunately it is difficult to tell you where to find all the holes because there are many variations but you will always find them under the welch plug (idle ports) and a larger hole that goes from that cavity to the idle jet. There is also always a tiny hole inside the casting that holds the emulsion tube..sometimes you can see it, often you can't but you must make some tools out of needles or whatever to clean that one. In any case clean the thing as best you have the patience. Lots of soaking and compressed air is a must...Oh don't forget the bowl nut. It should have 2 larger holes by the base and a tiny one up towards the the top. Set the float parallel to the base of the carb.

...If it needs a float, get a plastic one.

Good luck!

I had the same issue on my tecumseh and tried everything. These carbs are tricky and it was cheaper and faster to buy a new $20 dollar carb off ebay and be done with it.

I have had that problem before and on mine the throttle shaft was worn very bad and getting way too much air. Easy to check and cheap and easy fix.

Back