Caster Blocks

SnairB

I have a castor block that is 12 degrees. What part of the block is measured to give 12 degrees?
Is the bottom of the block tilted 12 degrees up, above horizontal?
Also, if I need to decrease castor, is 12 degrees as low as I can go?
In keeping with the manufacturers recommendation I need 8 degrees castor on my LF, but I have a 12 degree block on my LF. (I also have a 12 degree block on my RF.)

Looking at the front of the kart, any slant of the top of the kingpin to the center of the kart is called camber. Looking from the side of the kart, any slanting of the top of the kingpin to the rear of the kart is called caster.

Now the spindle holder, maybe slanted in both directions also, but it is the kingpin slanting where the two measurements are taken. You can do it both ways, to a degree I suppose, but it's the slant of the kingpin that's the important thing.

I am, of course, assuming that you know what the kingpin is. If you don't, it's the bolt that holds the spindle on the kart.

Caster block that is 12 degrees are designed to work with a spindle that is 12 degrees. Asphalt spindles are 5 degrees to be used with a corosponding 5 degree spindle.
Where that angle is I do not know, like a satellite dish at 32 no where can I find a spot that is 32 degrees.
Castor is not limited by the block build Angle.
Should be able to get near 4 and up to maybe 14

So flattop, the spindle degree angle should correspond with the castor block degree angle?
If my castor block is 12*'s then my spindle should be 12*'s?
FYI: this is on a 09 Voodoo run on a dirt oval. Trick Olimpic, the manufacturer, recommends 8-9*'s castor on the LF and 11-12*'s on the RF.

That is correct. Top of the L block should have some marks that correspond to the caster setting. set it on 8 and the right on 11. You can use a angle gauge on the front face of the L block where it attaches to the chassis. sometimes.
The marks are the best bet method.
Camber will need to be set with a gauge.

So flattop, the spindle degree angle should correspond with the castor block degree angle?
If my castor block is 12*'s then my spindle should be 12*'s?
FYI: this is on a 09 Voodoo run on a dirt oval. Trick Olimpic, the manufacturer, recommends 8-9*'s castor on the LF and 11-12*'s on the RF.

Just call and talk to Brandon Mullis at Trick!! He will explain it to ya and you will understand what to do!!

We have never ran 5 degree blocks or spindles on either asphalt or indoor concrete. So I laugh everytime I read that they are needed, because they are not.

We have never ran 5 degree blocks or spindles on either asphalt or indoor concrete. So I laugh everytime I read that they are needed, because they are not.

because that person is using one!, because someone told them too lolol
I' have 0 caster on my LF. do I need to use a 5 degree spindle?? Keith people just don't get it, just Monkey see, Monkey do. People are giving advice on spindle and front end builds and have no idea WHY they are different.aiaiai

Lol
A 10,5,7.5,15 degree spindle is the axle welded to the spindle tube at that many degrees from 90 degrees, when the axle is level you will have that many degrees of KPI
Our terminology are so different, it's like you're speaking French and I'm speaking German and neither one of us understands the other.

Spindle tube? What is that? I'm going to assume it's the frame. Anything welded to the frame, at angles, (kingpin inclination and caster) is called a spindle bracket, or spindle mount, in my world. If it's leaning toward the center of the frame, that's called negative kingpin inclination (KPI) if it's leaning to the back of the frame, that's called positive caster. Any angle of the tire, (the tire lean in the direction of the center of the frame) when pointed straight ahead, is called camber.

Not saying these are right, but they're the terms I've used since I started karting in 1966. I used those terms when I was building karts, and when I talk to other builders about building karts, we both used the same terms. Because other Builders used the same terms to describe the same things as me, I assumed I was right. Maybe the language is evolving. lol

I know the term "billet" is not used in the context of what I understand it to be.

This is the better answer.
We always ran them on syrup, whether they were needed ; I don't really know.

because that person is using one!, because someone told them too lolol
I' have 0 caster on my LF. do I need to use a 5 degree spindle?? Keith people just don't get it, just Monkey see, Monkey do. People are giving advice on spindle and front end builds and have no idea WHY they are different.aiaiai
So your saying I don't know?,:)
Let's face it it's only needed if it works. Always worked for us.
Never tried the , standard spindles on syrup, so no idea if they were needed there .
It's all good.

I quit mass producing them 3 years ago.
I worked for the same company that sponsored us chassis
My son who is a master welder/fab man wants to start our own line of karts
So you didn't build your own designed Karts? From an empty garage to a trophy winning kart? How about pipes, I designed them to, Mayko? The Mayko Bullet? I built them from the early 70's into the mid 90's

Being a welder for almost 30 years, I've never heard that term used when speaking of the welding trade. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying bad things about your son's skill.

Back