Cheap Alternative to a Mychron?

EthanP3

Looking to get a tach for rpms but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for info I don't understand yet. Racing a flat kart on dirt. Predator 212

Alfano works out to be more money in the end. Find an old digitron or a cheap eBay tiny tach. All you need is the rpm on a predator anymore.

I have a Mychron 3 gold that is actually designed to be used on a car (motorcycle?). The problem is it does not have an internal battery so you would need to adapt some kind of battery pack. It has lots of inputs but there is no expansion box included. I have not tested it. $50.00 shipped to anyone that has a use for it..

Keep and eye out for the mycron 4's that are for sell on the trading and 4 sale sites . Often can pick one up for a good price . Lap times and drop's can help with gearing .

Be aware that the alfano minimum rpm is 8000 not good for predator

This is not true at all. We use them all the time on Briggs 206 which has a rev limiter at 6100.

Although, I do agree, the Alfano can be as expensive as a Mychron 5 if you need a temp lead. If you dont, however, it is a little more affordable than the Mychron 5.

After I posted I thought on this some more and it dawned on me .. well how is it gonna work on clone 🤔.. so how do u change it ? I’ll let my friend know that bought one .. he’s the one that shared that with me and said it wouldn’t work bc of a rpm issue.. I guess I should have done more than he say she say before I posted misleading info lol

Yep- we use the Alfano 6 all the time on my sons Jr2 and Jr3 kart. It definitely has fully adjustable RPM range and works just fine on any single cylinder engine! Back before they really gained popularity they were $350 shipped! Much cheaper than a Mychron 5 but now days folks learned about them and its driven the price up to that of the Mychrons... still love mine and we have both!

There are lots of small gauges on Amazon that read temp and rpm for 20-25 bucks but theyre small and run continuesly once activated

Back