Cheater motor

Pap65

What’s the best way to check for a cheater motor without removing side cover? Governor removed , low oil removed , pulse pump with top plate , header pipe , stock air box only no mods allowed for the class

What’s the best way to check for a cheater motor without removing side cover? Governor removed , low oil removed , pulse pump with top plate , header pipe , stock air box only no mods allowed for the class
Are you wanting to check for a cam change? You can check valve lift at the retainer, you can put a degree wheel and dial indicator on and roll the entire cam profile without pulling the side cover.
Two easiest/cheapest cheats are getting more air in, and compressing it tighter. Check the carb bore size and either CC the combustion chamber or pull the head and take some measurements. Most classes have some sort of specs/rules on these areas. Some, unfortunately, do not.
An endoscope or small bore camera can be helpful. They've got them now to connect with a micro USB cord to a smart phone. This has now become part of my tech tool "entourage."

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

we ran box stock. 5000 rpm rule. i know what rpm works. if someone was way out of the range, they got something cheated up. i dont know what rules they run but its quick and non evasive.
some tracks in the Carolinas have a block of steel that must fit between the fins between the head and cylinder to check if the motors been decked.
the cheats there are twisting the cam and moving the timing. you need to take the motor apart to find that but looking at the tach will give you an indication.
i am against tech in this class. buy the motor is what i think it should be and people should buy them often.

Best way in the entire world. Tried and true. 0 ways, in a million years, to get around it.

CLAIMER RULE.

It should be an HONOR to get claimed in a basically stock class, most get offended just reading this.

Best way in the entire world. Tried and true. 0 ways, in a million years, to get around it.

CLAIMER RULE.

It should be an HONOR to get claimed in a basically stock class, most get offended just reading this.
it would be good, hardly ever see any one claim them except when the track owners kid gets beat. some tracks have the dumb rule of , have to finish behind the one you want to claim

it would be good, hardly ever see any one claim them except when the track owners kid gets beat. some tracks have the dumb rule of , have to finish behind the one you want to claim

I'd say top 5 for a full field. Top 3 for any less. I don't want people claiming for fun. It has its purpose and you're right, some people would rather the class go away, then use the claimer for what it's intended for.

Don't understand a header pipe and removing the governor on a stock engine either. Just asking for trouble.

CLAIMER RULE.

The inherent flaw with the claimer rule is basically telling the racer you can do whatever you'd like as long as it looks stock and you're willing to sell it for "X" amount. I've never heard of it working on stock engines without some type of tech.

What I have seen work is when nobody hides the engines are modified, there isn't going to be more than a visual check, and there's a claim rule.

I can't see claims working without tech.
Who's to say you don't claim a cheated up engine....run it the following week and it wins again (just on a different kart.)
You can cheat engines without additional cost. Deck a block or head with a piece of sandpaper on a table = costs nothing and definite power increase. Slip a cheap (even used) cam in for pennies on the dollar - same with stronger springs. Now you're turning more rpm and still hasn't cost much of anything. We haven't even touched fuel additives.

Maybe the bigger issue is paying in a stock engine class. Keep it trophies and the return on investment just dropped considerably. I suspect that low budget guys running the class because it's what they can afford will not mind running for shiny hardware over greenbacks while the "pro" racers could care less about a trophy in a beginner/budget class. Throw money on the line though and it'll bring out the big names. That doesn't mean that guys won't cheat for an $8 trophy either. Sin nature and competitiveness of our sport brings out the worst in people.

There has to be tech if you want to keep the playing field level, money races or trophy, claim rule or no claim rule.

run a sealed clone class, amateur, no prep and bring people into this sport. blue plate, red plate jr 3, beginner predator, ducar 212, tillotson ghost. can we make it any more confusing?? when you got to compete against people with 24' trailers with 30 sets of tires and crews of 3-4 people with a tire guy in their corner. and people wonder why the kart counts are low on regular nights

I can't see claims working without tech.
Who's to say you don't claim a cheated up engine....run it the following week and it wins again (just on a different kart.)
You can cheat engines without additional cost. Deck a block or head with a piece of sandpaper on a table = costs nothing and definite power increase. Slip a cheap (even used) cam in for pennies on the dollar - same with stronger springs. Now you're turning more rpm and still hasn't cost much of anything. We haven't even touched fuel additives.

Maybe the bigger issue is paying in a stock engine class. Keep it trophies and the return on investment just dropped considerably. I suspect that low budget guys running the class because it's what they can afford will not mind running for shiny hardware over greenbacks while the "pro" racers could care less about a trophy in a beginner/budget class. Throw money on the line though and it'll bring out the big names. That doesn't mean that guys won't cheat for an $8 trophy either. Sin nature and competitiveness of our sport brings out the worst in people.

There has to be tech if you want to keep the playing field level, money races or trophy, claim rule or no claim rule.
You remember me saying 1 day the 206 would fit dirt oval karting?
My guess the money makers in the hobby would push against it more but pull it out of the box and run it

run a sealed clone class, amateur, no prep and bring people into this sport. blue plate, red plate jr 3, beginner predator, ducar 212, tillotson ghost. can we make it any more confusing?? when you got to compete against people with 24' trailers with 30 sets of tires and crews of 3-4 people with a tire guy in their corner. and people wonder why the kart counts are low on regular nights
That has already been tried. I owned up to 20 stock engines back in the day, all sealed, same sprocket, race for trophy, draw a number for engine, but people didn't want to run a class on tires with no prep. when some of the big guys ran with us several were beaten, the real good ones no. It was fun but too much work and investment on my side. Just accept it as it is, most drivers want to be the guy with the big tailer and a bunch of guys helping.

That has already been tried. I owned up to 20 stock engines back in the day, all sealed, same sprocket, race for trophy, draw a number for engine, but people didn't want to run a class on tires with no prep. when some of the big guys ran with us several were beaten, the real good ones no. It was fun but too much work and investment on my side. Just accept it as it is, most drivers want to be the guy with the big tailer and a bunch of guys helping.
what engines did you get?

That was back when the clones started, they were Harbor Freight blues clones with the L shpaed tank. Got rid of all that stuff long ago.
was it a 196 they could convert into a standard unrestricted clone to race with everyone else??

^^^ Yes . Evolution of the clone .
Harbour Freight/Central Machine . Then bsp/ dover . Then dyno/ ducar and all the rest.

Back