Check out Clay City Kartway Facebook page for their Jerry Welch Memorial race this Sat , Nov 4th

racing promotor

Not sure if this should be here southeast or in mid west but Check it out , weather going to be Pretty Good going to be a great race , about a month ago I received a call from Doug Stearley asking if I would or better yet if I would come out and assist Mr Joey here with track prep and bring Mr Bryan Mallette with me , like we did for the Mid West race of champions , Normally I could not have committed 100 % coming out by myself because of my Parkinson's HOWEVER since Eldora I've had a Deep Brain Simulator put in place at Hershey medical center on Sept 18 th and wow what a difference , so I committed called Mr Joey and spoke on the phone , I tried to get Bryan to come along and my plan was to yes let him be involved in track prep, but not locked in 110 % relieve him of some of that responsibility so he could actually Race on Saturday crawl in a seat and have some FUN as he deserves it he's worked his tail off all season to give us the Racers a solid racing surface all while struggling through some health issues himself , Unfortunately his work schedule is just nuts and he's irreplaceable there , he couldn't make the trip , but because of my surgery I'm here rolled in to the track at 10:45 pm to get a look at what we're in for and come up with a plan tonight and hit the road running in the morning as Mr Joey will be here bright and early. I'd like to Thank him for allowing me a chance to be a small part of it , I did not know Jerry nor never meet him but Mr Jamie Twigg had some words awhile back that made me think it would have been an honor to meet him atleast one time , just like Mr Jamie Wheeler I'm pretty sure we would have made a connection, anyhow I'm here to assist Mr Joey with this CRAWLDAD DIRT with 20 yrs of experience playing in it I'm pretty sure in working together we can show Mr Joey some tricks along with passing on some knowledge I've learned over those 20 yrs that will net little better racing , because of little more grip and wider racing groove , if fact I'll predict right now at 2:04 am that it will be enough difference that even Mr Mike Dickerson can keep his kart on track.
Anyway Mr Joey is going to have this surface Right for you guys Check it out and come join us this Saturday I think it's gates open around 8 am , drivers meeting 11 am Practice at noon , We'll get a post of it's own up here by tonight , any questions feel free to ask I'll get back to you !!
Wow now that I've typed a book maybe this should be posted in a different forum, if so perhaps Mr flattop1 could take care of that.
THANKS EVERYONE and Come join in, it's going to be a hoot.
717 712 3437 Ken Just in case
God Bless 🙌

The big motor grader was not operable yet today so could not finish trim it super smooth, bladed it up and down, drug fence just testing, then on a second 10 ft piece of fencing with a round tube frame drilled holes in tubing and ran self tapping screws through with the pointed tip sticking out 1 " four inches apart threw 2 truck tires on it for weight and used it to break scafire the existing extremely hard surface so the powdered fluff we drug up across and back down would knit together and not slip while racing on it Saturday which without doing that is a big part reason why a track starts coming apart , then watered it good and left it soak in and did a test pack in to figure out the Timing of the initial first run in , this farm dirt , crawl dad dirt is VERY , VERY , VERY, DID I SAY VERY moisture sensitive for the first packing if you get on it while to moist it picks up chunks a lot of them and like 1/4 " Deep, Causing the surface to get lumpy , Eventhough it will smooth back out some if you keep packing it when it lifts out the bottom of that divit is smooth and hard and will not knit when filled back in while grading , End results being track starts coming apart later while racing , and the only way to stop that progress immediately when you see this happening you have to have a calcium slurry liquidfied in a pump sprayer and spray those holes and IF that's done immediately usually it will hold for the entire race, if the hole surface drys out to much the only fix is go out and re water the entire surface , if you can get the initial first Roll in TIGHT WITH OUT PICKING OUT , then you drag fence while misting it and it will pack tight no lifting out so you just keep repeating that sealing and layering in moisture which eventually gets tight enough it won't come apart , and in turn that tight moist top layer turns into grip. The pictures Joey posted is only testing what he's dealing with and showing were making progress , so today if the equipment decides to run and we follow the process listed above, the rest is effort , timing of it and proper volumes, in the end we'll all end up with a racing surface that will hold together and make for some great racing.
So lots of work left to do back at it and pray for wisdom.
Yes it's a book but it's so racers understand better what it takes , and Ines that choose to pay attention can improve track prep at their events.
God Bless. !!

Mr Joey just watered it really good Done for the night as far as getting on track.
Hopefully we can get on it by 8 am mist it start dragging the truck tire to help smooth it up and slurry it up good that it fills in most of all the digits, do that till 10 : 30 Am mist
It and spray liquid calcium in bottom of all holes divits , spread Calcium at 10:45 am
Re - Run calcium back in with one vehicle probably mine dragging big tire. HOT laps
12 noon SHARP .
All Predators be here early enough to be ready for 11:30 am , if tracks ready at 11:30
Am we'll get you out there , based on tonight's turn out that's already here and set up there will be 300 plus entries, Load up those BURRIS 33s and come get ya some.

God Bless !!

Track prep pics.

Attachments

• 26349.jpeg
    26349.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 26348.jpeg
    26348.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 26347.jpeg
    26347.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 26