Clone Racing Size and Future Growth?

InventorKart

Hello,

My name is Dave and I've spent the past couple months working on a prototype for a product that I believe will greatly improve a key safety aspect for clone racing karts. I am an automotive engineer and I came up with the idea after watching my nephew race a few times at the local track, and once my patent is processed I will work to bring this product to the market.

I am still early in the planning phase for manufacturing and I'd like to get a better understanding of the actual size of sanctioned clone racing in the US. I understand that the AKRA and the WKA are the two largest leagues for clone racing but does anyone have an estimate for the actual size of these leagues in terms of active members? Any numbers will help at this point, I figured I would ask you guys the experts for a better understanding of the potential market. Also, what about international clone racing...has it caught on yet?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It would not surprise me one bit if you knew the true numbers of all clone racers out there, that only 10% are either AKRA or WKA members.

Ok thanks guys I guess I should rephrase...I'm looking for a rough estimate for the number of active racers in the US that compete in the clone class of go kart racing, regardless of league membership or affiliation.

Also the product is a part that would be specific to only the GX200/clone engines. That being said, if the product does well it could be adapted to other engine types in the future and would have the same benefits.

Thanks again guys,
Dave

I would start by contacting the AKRA, WKA, IKF, USKRA , Burris and SPG and so on to get their numbers on their membership. Its unlikely anybody could give you an accurate number per state. They also race these engines in Australia andCanada.

Ok thanks guys I guess I should rephrase...I'm looking for a rough estimate for the number of active racers in the US that compete in the clone class of go kart racing, regardless of league membership or affiliation.

Also the product is a part that would be specific to only the GX200/clone engines. That being said, if the product does well it could be adapted to other engine types in the future and would have the same benefits.

Thanks again guys,
Dave

If it applies to the Gx200 and clone engines, chances are it would apply to the Predator engines made by Loncin also, since most of the parts are compatible with the clones. I'm not sure anyone really could tell you how many clone racers there are in the country, but a decent estimate I'd think would be between 5000-10,000 to be realistic, but id guess there are that many just in the southeastern reigon of the country alone to be honest, so there could be twice as many as that estimate. I'm not sure who would know for a fact.

What is your product, if you don't mind saying?

Outside of fees associated with trying to get a Patent for your product.......any good, well designed product, that has a need by the average racer, would be well worth manufacturing.

The company I work for sells several items specific to the clone market, and we have no qualms about the immediate future and continued use of the Clone platform.

Tell us more about said product. Is it a chain/clutch guard?

Be prepared for any good product to be immediately copied. Patents don't get in the way very much. If you don't believe me, just pay attention to the source of the "clone" engine.

At one time we had some reasonable demographics for 4 cycle karting, for a lot of reasons those numbers have become less reliable in the last few years. I feel that Zach had a fair assessment of what's out there along with Michael's thoughts on products. AKRA led the parade on formalizing a rules package for these engines and formally marketing the clone platform. Please feel free to contact the AKRA office at (704)764-8138 and we will gladly try and assist with your project, especially if it's promotes safety.

Thank You,

Bill McCutcheon
AKRA, Inc

Be prepared for any good product to be immediately copied. Patents don't get in the way very much. If you don't believe me, just pay attention to the source of the "clone" engine.

Excellent point! But I think Honda was somewhat complicit in the cloning by selling their worn out tooling to Chinese manufacturers.

it must be a very well padded ,,carbon fiber elbow pad to rest on your chainguard , and heat resistant. darn wish ide thought of that!

That would be nice, maybe one with adhesive backing that you can peel and stick on the chain guard, we could sure use those

Thanks to everyone that's replied the information has been very helpful. Does anyone have a feel for the type of growth (or perhaps decline) that the clone racing industry might experience in the near future. I was out in California over the holiday break and I had a discussion with a local go kart shop owner and his feeling was that the clone industry was dying and would be replaced by briggs and stratton race ready engines soon. Given that he operates in California where this type of racing isnt nearly as popular I am less inclined to believe him. Thoughts?

I was out in California over the holiday break and I had a discussion with a local go kart shop owner and his feeling was that the clone industry was dying and would be replaced by briggs and stratton race ready engines soon. Given that he operates in California where this type of racing isnt nearly as popular I am less inclined to believe him. Thoughts?
given karting's tendency in past years to move to more and more regulated specifications, he may be onto something. There was a time in the past, when fully two thirds of the classes allowed some sort of modification. From wide-open to stock appearing. Of 13 classes, when I started karting, only three classes required you to leave the motor stock. 100 cc Mac light, 100 cc Mac heavy, Mac Junior with the 49er. I don't really know what the CC's were on that engine. Maybe 80. The rules progressed to a point, at one time, where there were no modified engines. Now four cycle racing hasn't progressed to that point yet, "and I did say yet", but I can see the possibilities coming.

And I will be very surprised if "InventorKart", doesn't ask for money in a post. ... :)

I also will be surprised if "InventorKart", is located in the States. ... :)

Let's see, InventoryKart stated he was in California, at a local kart shop, pretty hard to imagine him not being in the United States.

Back