Clone vs Predator

Is strength synonymous with Predator? Does this guy look strong?

predator.jpg

Sorry couldn't help myself but you're right, its what's kept me away from trying it. Thought of trying it in an S/A to keep the weight off the rotating assembly vs the ARC billet crank. One of many ideas I ponder.

So when ARC says "will not fit Hemi" on say flywheels will the clone ones fits instead? Or is there 3 different cranks sizes of taper out there? I assume the clutch side pto is all the same?

No clue but I haven't heard of people having much luck ordering specific model numbers from their website. They assume theyre all the same.

Is hemi block same as old model block? If so then I will just get a regular one and throw in billet rod + size if needed to get .010 in hole and use my flywheel I wanted to use. What a pita this is...lol.

Is hemi block same as old model block? If so then I will just get a regular one and throw in billet rod + size if needed to get .010 in hole and use my flywheel I wanted to use. What a pita this is...lol.

Are u wanting to use the billet flywheel? For the hemi?

'Strength' is not a word synonymous w/ 'Clone'. If ur going too 'worry' about 'strength'....don't do it! (They WILL break sooner, or later)

Agree 100% with screamer, except id like to add that it applies with any chinese made engine, not just clones lol

No, the hemi block will accept clone/honda cams, the other style predators do not, the cam journal on those predators is about .007-.008 bigger than the clones. i have thought about making some sort of brass bushing to fit in the older style predator cam bosses in the block and sidecover, so that clone/honda cams will fit them and work, but the only way i see this working is if it were like an oilite bushing, depending on the oil to keep it lubed. I would think that with the cam being in the crankcase and oil flinging around enough to lube the stock cam journals, that it would sufficiently lube a bushing if i were to make one. That said, i have taken a piece of aluminum pop can and cut it to size and slipped inside the cam boss on the block, installed a clone cam, then installed a clone sidecover on one of the 69730 predators, and surprisingly enough the engine ran very good, with no aluminum particles in the oil or anything.. The clone sidecover was not a 100% perfect fit near the top of the sidecover and block, but it did seal up and did not leak. I have not tried to race the engine that way though, just tried to see if it would run and work, and it did. Maybe im onto something here? Old style predator blocks with aluminum pop can as bushing, and 196 clone or maybe hemi predator sidecover?

The hemi acr flywheel is the same as the kohler the clone flywheels and older predator flywheels will not fit.

You can use the kohler flywheels on the hemi predators i believe, but am not sure. You can take any clone flywheel you want and take your predator crank to a machine shop and have them to machine the taper on the predator crank to the dimensions of the clone flywheels. Or better yet, take a predator crank and clone crank both to the shop and have them to make the predator crank an identical match to the clone. I do not know why the manufacturer decided to make the predators with several different flywheel tapers rather than using the same taper for all, or why they make so many variations and model numbers of the same dang engine. You have the 69730, 60363, 69720, and more. But only one or 2 real variations of the 196 clones since HF stopped making the greyhounds with 5 bolt valve covers, those 2 i believe would be the champion style 196cc engines, and the ducar, dupor, BSP, and others.

if your budget is tight and you have an "old" style Predator and want a flattop piston just get someones takeout from a "new" hemi Predator,

Just picked up a couple 730's today. Did a quick check with feeler gauge on in the hole and it seems alot. Over .032". Will have to use dial indicator to get actual reading though later on. Does this sound right?

Just picked up a couple 730's today. Did a quick check with feeler gauge on in the hole and it seems alot. Over .032". Will have to use dial indicator to get actual reading though later on. Does this sound right?

Yep, some are better and some are worse but that is right in the ballpark. Iv seen them anywhere from .006 to .052, just depends on the internals. A quick blueprint can bring that .032 up to .002 or .012 just by having a few different cranks and rods to go thru and mocking them up to see which gives you the best measurements. Be sure to check the piston on left and right sides, and top and bottom both, not just the center. Checking the center is ok, but you arent getting the 100% true piston depth that way.

I was checking the sides since I will be putting a flat top in there anyways. Have to check the other one.

Back