Clone vs Predator

Whoa whoa whoa! Slow it up here fellas! Lol. Ok Ive been wanting to try a HF engine. Never knew enough about them to do so so your going to have to enlighten me.

1) How do I pick which engine has the bigger valves? If I cant on box a 14cc will bolt right up right?

2) Will the max stroke crank fit in a predator? What about cam and billet sidecover?

3) What else is different on these that will not use clone parts? Carb?

4) What do I look for for the Hemi engine? It has a flat top already?

5) Would the F-275 cam be better than BM?

Why don't you just use the predator crank? It has .032 more stroke then the clone crank. Every little bit counts.

What flat top fits in these? Seems most aftermarket parts say they dont fit the hemi motor.

Cant even find a flat top anywhere.... never had this problem with clones.

What flat top fits in these? Seems most aftermarket parts say they dont fit the hemi motor.

Cant even find a flat top anywhere.... never had this problem with clones.
ARC now has 'Hemi" replacement pistons (lighter than stock) w/ rod too fit and affordable price. They have 3 or 4 rod/piston combo's too fit your desire.

I bought a hemi not long ago and I was under the impression it comes with a flat top piston already. Is this correct? (Haven't disassembled yet). That being said I've been looking at the long rod/wiseco setup for when I do my build. Thinking of milling out my own domed piston rather then machining the piston flat.

Can you imagine the cost to get a machine shop to replicate a piston?

Yes i can imagine. Some of these racers have unlimited budget, and if they want something bad enough, you can bet your sweet ass it can be done ;)

Whoa whoa whoa! Slow it up here fellas! Lol. Ok Ive been wanting to try a HF engine. Never knew enough about them to do so so your going to have to enlighten me.

1) How do I pick which engine has the bigger valves? If I cant on box a 14cc will bolt right up right? The 14cc honda or clone 14cc heads are a direct fit on the predators, you may or may not have to do some work to rearrange the dowel pins that align the head and block, i believe the predator uses bigger dowel pins but the holes in the clone and honda heads can be drilled out to accept the predator dowel pins. You cant tell which one has the bigger valves by the part number or by looking on the box, you just have to buy several 69730 predators and hope one of them has the RTC-6 head casting, which is the one with bigger valves. Renegade made a post a month or so back about this head, with pictures.

2) Will the max stroke crank fit in a predator? What about cam and billet sidecover? The max stroke clone crank will fit, you may or may not need a longer rod to get the piston level with the deck. If you buy a hemi predator, you can use the clone max stroke crank and longer rod, and the predator flat top that comes with the hemi will fit on the clone rod, they use the same wrist pin. Clone cams fit the hemi predator but not the other style predators, side covers are different and will not swap out between clones and older style predators, the hemi predator may use same side cover as the clones, i do not know.

3) What else is different on these that will not use clone parts? Carb? Some predators came with a .575 venturi bore carb, while some came with a .615 bore carb like the clones do. 2 of the 3 69730 predators i bought had the small bore carb, only the one which had the big valve head came with the .615 carb.

4) What do I look for for the Hemi engine? It has a flat top already? Hemi engine will have part # 60363 on the box, and yes it comes with a very nice flat top, similar to the honda flattop. I would prefer the Honda flattop but the predator flattop seems to be just as good quality.

5) Would the F-275 cam be better than BM?
I cannot comment on the F-275 cam, but the black mamba is very hard to beat as far as cam choice. It pulls like a freight train on top end.

I bought a hemi not long ago and I was under the impression it comes with a flat top piston already. Is this correct? (Haven't disassembled yet). That being said I've been looking at the long rod/wiseco setup for when I do my build. Thinking of milling out my own domed piston rather then machining the piston flat.

Make sure you leave the piston in the hole enough to compensate for piston to head clearance if you are gonna go with a dome piston, and to be safe i would use one of the .040" fire ring headgaskets also just to be safe

For those who dont know, you can go to harbor freights website and choose which model # predator you want without having to go to a store and dig thru the boxes trying to find a Hemi. Just buy the 60363 item number predator on harbor freights website, and they will ship it to your door. You can look around online and find coupons or discount codes, some people have used these discount codes and bought hemi predators shipped to their door for less than $100, others have paid $120 or less for them shipped. Just depends if you are lucky enough to find the discount code or coupon. You guys seriously need to start doing some research lol. I need to start a paypal account just for donations so you guys can kindly contribute to my racing budget for all this nice info im giving out here ;)

yes it comes with a flat top

I have four of the hemi hf engines. They all came with flat top piston and
615 crabs. One of them has the f-275 in it and it pulls like a *****. Never had a momba to play with but would love to get one to compare. All of the engines where 20-24 in the hole new

I have four of the hemi hf engines. They all came with flat top piston and
615 crabs. One of them has the f-275 in it and it pulls like a *****. Never had a momba to play with but would love to get one to compare. All of the engines where 20-24 in the hole new

NR racing has a stroker crank for the predators, which if you were to buy and install in your hemi, then mill some of the flattop down, your piston would be level with the deck

NR racing has a stroker crank for the predators, which if you were to buy and install in your hemi, then mill some of the flattop down, your piston would be level with the deck

Since NR does the .060+ stroker on the clone/Honda cranks always thought of having them do one with a predator crank, should come out around 2.225 stroke. Just worried about strength.

Since NR does the .060+ stroker on the clone/Honda cranks always thought of having them do one with a predator crank, should come out around 2.225 stroke. Just worried about strength.
'Strength' is not a word synonymous w/ 'Clone'. If ur going too 'worry' about 'strength'....don't do it! (They WILL break sooner, or later)

Back