Copper wheel Nuts

Brianf60

1634684298823.png
like this?

sundog

Those nuts are for electrical connections. If you can't find a steel nyloc flange nut get a regular steel nyloc with a flat washer.

Ted Hamilton

Design Drafter / Racer
https://www.amazon.com/M8-1-25-Flange-Insert-Stainless-Quantity/dp/B08J9S56VW?th=1
NOTE: These have SMOOTH flanges that don't chew up your wheels, unlike most from Grainger, etc. I still prefer the barrel style because of the distributed load on the threads over the whole stud, but these work where you don't want ANY extra weight, and they're admittedly less "real estate" in a tight area. I may get some as backups.

Last edited:

Rock

that is a copper 8mm lug nut, standard for some metric karts. if you have 8mm studs, fastech sells a titainum 8mm lug nut. been using them for years, last along time, never stripped one.
Thanks. I checked them out and noticed they are non-locking, do you thread lock the studs first or use a lock washer? I’m running magnesium wheels too so not sure if that soft metal requires a locking nut.

Flash765

Throw those copper nuts in the trash for sure. They eat studs.

Use the barrel nuts mentioned above.

You don't need any locking of the wheel nuts. Tighten them properly and you'll never have an issue. Those are what we use on shifters, KAs, and 206s.

Rock

Throw those copper nuts in the trash for sure. They eat studs.

Use the barrel nuts mentioned above.

You don't need any locking of the wheel nuts. Tighten them properly and you'll never have an issue. Those are what we use on shifters, KAs, and 206s.
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Ted Hamilton

Design Drafter / Racer
WHEN TIGHTENED... The nylock adds just a little factor of safety for when you've snugged them but forgot to go back and tighten them completely. I normally run my barrels which have no such insert, but some may prefer the extra margin.

sundog

You can use a tiny bit of blue loctite on the barrel nuts but they stay on ok without it. They do have a small foot print and, if you have room for a flat washer, it will help keep your mag wheel from deteriorating. Mag alloy is better but true mag wheels can chip out around the bolt hole.