cost Vs pay..

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
everyone likes a pay out.. and the cost of getting on the track seems like it ranges from $30 to $50 for a regular night. those regular nights don't pay... is anyone aware of a track that keeps the nightly cost down and get's the end of year points fund and awards up? would you rather race for a fat check at the end of the year say $500 to a grand, for a points champion with the top 10 getting good money? or weekly money??

when building a race program which would you rather see at a track... big end of year or weekly $$ and prizes?

Race a 500 to win race or race all year for 500.
Most wont be at your track for the year.

If they do come to your track when they see they are not in the $$$ for the end of year they stop coming.

All tracks should pay each racer a fixed dollar rate for each lap completed........for each race night.

Then pay awards for accomplishments.

Racers support tracks..........so tracks should support racers.

Seems only fair.

All tracks should pay each racer a fixed dollar rate for each lap completed........for each race night.

Seems only fair.

yep my thoughts exactly,.. you too "angry" if they do come to your track when they see they are not in the $$$ for the end of the year they stop coming.. I can see that as being real issue....
$$ per lap... there's a novel idea... wonder how you could make that work for the track and the drivers

Seems only fair.
That does sound reasonable. But I wonder what the effects on entry fees would be with a program like that? Currently our track has a entry fee of $25 per class and offer one $200 payout for a different adult class each week. I would bet the entry fee would increase to support a program as this. I personally just enjoy racing karts and dont do it for the money. I also feel fortunate their is a track somewhat local to me and that the owner does a pretty good job of maintaining it. I see that as supporting the racers too.

Gentlemen,
Kart racing, in it's present form, IS dollars per lap.
How much do you spend over an entire season of racing.
How many laps do you run in an entire season.
Dollars, divided by laps, equals cost per lap.

If the track pays out, cost per lap, then that amount of money has to be added to track expenses,
which must be paid by somebody. If no outside $$$ sponsorship, then you can guess who pays the cost per lap.
Ergo, the promoter is the most important position in kart racing.

How do you feel about kids classes? Should all Jrs get paid ? We race at a track that doesn't pay any of the classes. The adults run for the same trophy as the jrs.

We also have a local 3/8 dirt track that offers a FWD 4 cylinder class. Which is what many consider entry level class for beginners and young aspiring racers looking to cut their teeth in stock car racing. This FWD class also requires the same $25 pit pass/car entry as the other divisions. The other stock car classes have guaranteed start money and a payout. The FWD top three 3 receive trophies. That totals a $100 bill for my family to get in and son to race for a $2 trophy. That being said, the FWD has the largest car count. Point is not everyone races to make money back.

Personally our local track is a non profit group, 100% volunteer, and even without payouts we don't really come out ahead at the end of the year. We don't pull big numbers, but nobody really does here in the NW except for a couple big events per year. By the time we pay for using the track, having an on site EMT, insurance, and announcer w/ equipment we are lucky to make a couple hundred bucks to put back into improving the facility/show.

I'd rather have a great fun atmosphere over winning a few bucks anyhow.

How do you feel about kids classes? Should all Jrs get paid ? We race at a track that doesn't pay any of the classes. The adults run for the same trophy as the jrs.
That is the way a kart track should be run, IMHO.
It's ridiculous to charge astro prices to enter, sign in, and pay out which is recieved by the same guys, over and over...because they can afford the cost v reward.
Trophy, max reward per sat.night winners. Jacket, for season winner. Then everyone becomes a winner in effect, because the individuals do not pay out, so much. A penny saved is a penny earned.......and we aren't talking pennies here.

IMO===The problem I see with doing a payout is that it's just going to take your average Joe out of the picture. That means less and less karts every week. That's how a sport dies real quick. People get greedy, counts drop and you have no track to race at. Cost have already gotten out of hand from karts, motors etc. etc.. Of course you are going to have your rich ppl to keep the prices up; because the will pay anything to have that extra edge and the supplier lives on that. Karting needs to go back to the way it was meant to be.

it sounds like from a track owner/ promoter stand point, we should charge a reasonable fee ($25,) cover cost of insurance and safety crew, get sponsors for end of season banquet give away... leave the payouts alone.
from a drivers point of view... if I can spend $25 and have a good time with my kids racing,... it's all worth it.

thanks ALL for your points of view.. looking forward to a lot of years of karting

The only way to make every karter happy is to do cheap entry fees along with big payouts deep into the field. The only problem is this business model will not last very long...

Our track tried money races turned into wreck fest so they started something new to help locals running and supporting track if kart count hit certain number they had money race that nite pulled class out of hat and told everyone at drivers meeting . that was nice suprise and supported those that support the track .most just race for fun anyway .

Back