Diabetic control during races

Ryan Reed and Charlie Kimball are diabetic racers. I think both might be Type 1. Ryan won the Xfinity race at Daytona this weekend. Charlie has won an IndyCar race. I just wanted to share because these guys are examples of overcoming this .

Personal barriers are real or imagined hindrances between you and the success you want to achieve. The key to overcoming personal barriers is to identify what keeps you from reaching your goals, and then take steps to remove those barriers. Anyone can overcome any barrier at any time....all you need to do is put one foot in front of the other.......just because I have T-2 Diabetes, it doesn't stop me from racing, from having fun with my grandkids and enjoying life....

Personal barriers are real or imagined hindrances between you and the success you want to achieve. The key to overcoming personal barriers is to identify what keeps you from reaching your goals, and then take steps to remove those barriers. Anyone can overcome any barrier at any time....all you need to do is put one foot in front of the other.......just because I have T-2 Diabetes, it doesn't stop me from racing, from having fun with my grandkids and enjoying life....

Well put mikey.
It can be overwelming at first but like anything small steps forward will get you where you need to be. Could it be difficult , sure it can just keep working at it and eventually you will get there.
Look at it this way , diabetes can not be cured but certainly can be controlled. Many other things have no cure and can not be controlled , I don't want to say consider yourself lucky but things could be worse with no cure and no control.

My Pin Striper guy aways has hard candy in his pockets . I don't know if he is T-1-2. Me I have severe cramping issues during Summer. Has kepted me out of the seat for a while. I have/am working with my doctor about this problem .

My Pin Striper guy aways has hard candy in his pockets . I don't know if he is T-1-2. Me I have severe cramping issues during Summer. Has kepted me out of the seat for a while. I have/am working with my doctor about this problem .

Are you on a diuretic (fluid pill). Cramps wear me out and I'm on one. They strip electrolytes out of your body including potassium. Thats the main one that will get you. Stay hydrated and focus on foods high in potassium. Bananas is a good source.
I've nearly given my wife a heart attack several nights after the races by jumping out of the bed screaming with a bad cramp in one or both legs. Still ain't gonna stop.lol

Are you on a diuretic (fluid pill). Cramps wear me out and I'm on one. They strip electrolytes out of your body including potassium. Thats the main one that will get you. Stay hydrated and focus on foods high in potassium. Bananas is a good source.
I've nearly given my wife a heart attack several nights after the races by jumping out of the bed screaming with a bad cramp in one or both legs. Still ain't gonna stop.lol

I have similar issues and eat a banana every morning. I also take potassium/magnesium supplements and those have also helped.

John

metformin (500 mg), cloesterol and high blood pressure medicine...twice a day. blood sugar levels checked each morning before eating or drinking anything. watching what I eat and the amount I eat. hard to lose weight because of the medicine, but I've stabilized around 250. sometimes my blood sugar bottoms out in the 50's and I have some candy or other sugary stuff with me and I can bring it up. when I first got diagnosed it was over 350 (100 is considered to be good)....

if you are or suspect that you might be a diabetic, don't try and be a hero....get in and talk to your doctor. be around a long time for your family and friends....no, diabetes can't be cured right now, but I would much rather win the race by taking care of myself than finishing last and having friends carry me to that big hole in the ground....

just sayin......

Thanks for all the info everybody. Getting her a new monitor and a big supply of strips this weekend. Can't wait to get her on the track so she can enjoy what she has watched me do all these years. Thanks again everybody.

I am a little late getting in on this discussion...... I don't know if it has been said or not. PLEASE, if a person has a health issue such as mentioned above (diabetes) or seizures, allergic reactions to bee stings, peanuts, etc..., make a track official or the EMT on staff aware of the situation. That way, we, as track workers are better prepared if something does happen. I always have Benadryl, peanut butter and crackers at the track with me for these reasons. Also, one thing that a lot of people forget to mention is the fact that they are taking blood thinners. Just 2 minutes of time to tell someone about a medical condition could be the difference between life and death!!! Thank you for reading this!!

Cindy

Cindy made a GREAT point.

I wear a bracelet with "Insulin Dependent Diabetic" on it. If I were still racing, I'd have it stitched on my suit. Things like that can save valuable seconds.

EDIT: Years ago we had an SCCA corner worker die at my local track from a bee sting. All stuff that we need to make available to the EMT's and others.

John

while I have custom painted helmets, each one has my blood type, allergies and that i'm a diabetic on the back of the helmet. I also have it stitched on the front of my racing jacket....

better being safe than sorry....make sure the track AND the ambulance crew if your track uses ambulance services (mine does).....

good luck!!!

Back