***** Dirt Oval vs Pavement*****

I have run both. Prefer asphalt. Steve, the answer to your question is plain and simple. The dirt promoters have flat outrun the asphalt promoters. You can race for some nice cash on dirt pretty much every weekend year round. You can barely find an asphalt race because asphalt has NO HYPE !!!!! At least in the southeast anyway. I don't think the real racers care if it's dirt or pavement, they go where the competition is, and the competition is where they can get paid. JMO

Local, it looks your plain and simple hit the nail on the head.

when I was speaking about dirt being around longer, I was speaking in general terms of all racing. now...your right about asphalt not being as hyped as some dirt tracks are (take Volusia county or five flags where the snowball derby is held)....those are premier facilities! if you've never been to Volusia County, you are missing out! one side of the road is the paved track, the other side is the dirt oval and both are unbelievable!!

ok....dirt or asphalt? asphalt or dirt? same question either way you look at it, but both will yield different answers depending on who you ask.

..................as far as dirt and asphalt tracks....historically, dirt tracks have been around a lot longer....most were created to fill the need for racers to have a place to go....so farmers cut tracks in the back 40...paving a track didn't come along until years later. most of it was cost to lay the foundation and paved the dang thing....and instead of this expense, tracks elected to stay dirt.......

Historically........concrete and asphalt tracks came first.

Dirt tracks came later.........usually on city or town unimproved vacant lots.

Dirt is softer and you don't have to look so pretty as you do racin asphalt. Racers like soft and not havin to worry bout pretty, just results and go home.

We raced both and had a driving suit for each. It was no use and a waste of time washing the dirt suit and the asphalt one never got dirty. So it didn't never need washin either. Dirt racin is racin without having to deal with all the feel good stuff. More like that then not and so there's more dirt racers.

.racing on pavement can be said to be a precise, calculated and straightforward style of racing....whereas dirt? there is a lot to be said for slinging dirt, hitting a corner and slamming the kart sideway, drifting through the corners with the rears throwing dirt everywhere and watching the driver work the kart......

I don't know where you race, but around here dirt racing is like single grove asphalt racing, only the track outside of the groove is so slick you're almost guaranteed to spin once you're punted out of position into the marbles. It sure isn't the throw it sideways, 4 kart wide action kinda' stuff you mentioned. Wish it was.

There's a big disparity in the number of asphalt/dirt ovals alright. 231 dirt ovals vs 16 paved when I checked today.
I think it's mostly because dirt racing is deeply engrained in the culture of grassroots racing in the US whereas pavement is not.

There's a big disparity in the number of asphalt/dirt ovals alright. 231 dirt ovals vs 16 paved when I checked today.
I think it's mostly because dirt racing is deeply engrained in the culture of grassroots racing in the US whereas pavement is not.

2X with RadialFin.............couldn't have said it better

Back