drain hot or cold?

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
Is it better to drain the motor oil when its hot. or after it sets and cools... or does not matter... what are the preferences.

Hot...everything is mixed in the oil and will come out with it....cold dirt and grit will settle and stay in the motor.

In everything I own I always drain the engine when hot. When I change oil in my cars I always at least run them 5 minutes before draining. Then let it sit with the plug out until it completely stops dripping. I usually let them sit for about 5 minutes after the oil has stopped dripping.
Like Mopdog said all impurities or contaminates in the engine will be mixed in with the oil when it is hot. Also, the oil will run out better, so you will have less of the old contaminated oil still inside of the engine case. In small engines, if you have even a spoonful of the old oil left in the engine it will contaminate the new oil. Typically it won't contaminate the new oil enough to cause an issue, but it is definitely better to get everything you can out of the engine.

Back