E85??

Ducar 212

Just had a buddy tell me alot of his friends that drag race run E85 as a race fuel and make good power with it. Never heard of that, but I was wondering if it would work as a decent race fuel in this 236 tillotson I'm building?? It will have around 13 to 1 compression, .370 valve lift and I'm wanting to run in small block open or stock appearing next year with it. I was hoping someone had some Info on it.

It's cheap high octane (104-109 approx.) depending on location. However, E85 is very corrosive. On all of our GM vehicles, the Flex Fuel/E85 models have different injectors, stainless fuel lines, etc. Just something to consider!

It's cheap high octane (104-109 approx.) depending on location. However, E85 is very corrosive. On all of our GM vehicles, the Flex Fuel/E85 models have different injectors, stainless fuel lines, etc. Just something to consider!
couldn't be any worse than methanol and we run that all the time

I do have stainless valves, but I'm sure the corrosive effect is hard on many other things. I'm sure it can dilute the oil???
If it's a decent power making alternative to straight methanol, I will try it

I suppose only if you can't get methanol. Or it consumes too much for the budget as in big car.
Not over that , its still gasoline .
Try 50/50 ina test engine .

E85 is transported in the same tankers with the same equipment as Gasoline. It "can" be more corrosive if left sitting for a while, but only because it's Hygroscopic. Ethanol of it's self unlike Methanol, isn't corrosive at all. It's the water that it easily absorbs that makes it more corrosive. Methanol is considered a weak acid, but so is water. Since Methanol is also hygroscopic, with water it's not a pretty picture. Ethanol is not an acid or base, but when combined with water becomes acidic. Which tends to happen when it sits because it's hygroscopic. Hopefully that clarifies it a little better.

The benefits are almost identical to Methanol, slightly less downsides. Nascar uses like 15% Ethanol in their fuel, Indy I think is now fully E85. So if it's available easily, and cheap.... Why not? Jetting will not be the same as either, so you'll have to account for that. But, if you flush it like we do methanol just to be safe you'll be more than fine. But, the benefits are there.

Back