Engine hp

Ill throw in my 2c on downforce. Downforce does indeed apply weight (force) but does so without adding matter (mass). In real simple terms, downforce allows you to push the tires harder into the ground (download) without increasing the load that they are carrying at a given speed/angle. So, with the added download the grip level is increased and you can corner faster. Downforce of course, adds drag.

Downforce does NOT have the same effect as adding ballast. With ballast, or simply running a heavier kart you increase BOTH the download on the tires AND the load that they have carry through the turn at x speed. Some download is needed of course, but there is a point of diminishing returns where load capability of the tire is not increased with the added download. You are also changing the inertia of the vehicle which makes it harder to convince to change direction.

Extreme example of downforce, in the 90's and F1 car could theoretically drive upside down at about 70MPH with Monaco downforce settings. They were generating 600KG of downforce and the car weighed 550Kg. Obviously adding 600KG of ballast would not have the same effect!

On balancing tires, my experience ties up with what mike grady said. when you get above 60, its crucial. I road race shifters and we often average 90MPH on some tracks, if your tires are out of balance, especially on the front it destroys the handling like you wouldn't believe. But, you'd barely notice it (handling wise) below 50. How that factors on the banking you folks run I have no idea.

Last edited:
Just an FYI.....the Holiday Classic was a multi main event. 2 x 1/4 point races. The first day with 23 entries was won by a CRF450 after a BRC 150 earned POLE position. 1st day finish was CRF450, BRC and PK250 1,2,3 , The 2nd day after altercations on the initial start the 1st and 2nd place kart from the first day had to tag the field for the restart...The finish that day was PK250, CRF450, CRF450..........Its still all about the right setup, tires and racing luck.........At the BK race in Oregon a CRF450 set fast time and another CRF450 won the race after a rough event where several drivers had unfortunate incidents and mechanical issues that ended their events just a little early. The PK250 was rolling very very well and looked like he was going to get the win, but that racing luck deal bit him. Again it was more about set-up and tires than engine. Many different engine combinations could have won either event. Don't for get the Jawa power which also won heat races at both events or the Dual Tater Diggers as they have grown to be called that also were rocket fast in Salem....I'm liking the rules package...it seems to be working out like it was designed.

True true rules seem fine. There is no dominant engine so far. The best teams got the best looking engines. You have to put your time and money in your tires set up and engine to run on national level

Back