Engine Prices WOW !!!!!

Weddle, so your saying you don't think builders should be able to charge for the labor they put into an engine? You spend way more time than most builders I know of. Most spend 8-10 hours start to finish. If you charged even $25 per hour, that adds up pretty quick. And considering "most" machine shops get $75-$150 per hour depending on the shop, kart engine builders are not charging enough. Motorcycle, Small Engine, Automotive, and diesel mechanics ALL charge more per hour than kart engine builders.

Just because you are loaded with money, doesn't mean these guys shouldn't make a living also.

And most people forget "real engine builders" have to pay workmans comp, liability insurance, and taxes.

Easy to build an engine for less dollars when you are not subject to, or care to worry about, all of the "little things" a brick and mortar shopowner does ;)

Weddle, so your saying you don't think builders should be able to charge for the labor they put into an engine? You spend way more time than most builders I know of. Most spend 8-10 hours start to finish. If you charged even $25 per hour, that adds up pretty quick. And considering "most" machine shops get $75-$150 per hour depending on the shop, kart engine builders are not charging enough. Motorcycle, Small Engine, Automotive, and diesel mechanics ALL charge more per hour than kart engine builders.
BUT....that's the very thing that adds too the 'ludicy' (spell error) in this whole 'Box-Stock' deal! "Most" can build a S/A 'engine' for less money and have far-less 'tech' involved/required, as well have more $$$ distributed too the aftermarket parts houses! All that is needed is for 'Promoter's' too shift into a higher gear. Also...the 'committee' probably needs to diversify a bit more!! JMO

And most people forget "real engine builders" have to pay workmans comp, liability insurance, and taxes.

Easy to build an engine for less dollars when you are not subject to, or care to worry about, all of the "little things" a brick and mortar shopowner does ;)
Words of advise (been-there, done that)...."One should never attempt too make a 'living' out of a 'hobby'...REALLY!" Unless...you have/had a fat bank roll. :)

I spend anywhere from a day to 3 days on each engine i build myself, about 8 hours or so each of those days. So i guess you can say i have around 24 hours of time on an engine, and thats not counting the time spent tuning it after its all assembled and done, which is usually another 4 or 5 hours. Details details details, the closer attention you pay to the details, the more you learn and the better your build will turn out is something that was pounded into my head when i was first starting to learn about building my own engines. Iv had help and advice from 2 really great builders who both have spent years building engines, one who has been into racing and building engines since the 60's.
You seem to admire yourself very much. Do you feel others should admire you as well?

Ok everyone has an idea on this issue engine prices help pay over head for the real kart shop you know the ones there on the street bringing new karters in to the sport so heres the deal many of you have your back yard /garage operations and feed off the new karters that show up at the track the rest of you racers whine about the prices while taking advantage of the kart shops knowledge at the track for free all at the same time whining about the price of parts because there a buck cheaper on the net or in this case the price of and engine, quit whining and man up and support the shops that support the the sport of karting with there time and money . .

i have a question concerning a comment on here.....what do you consider to be a "real engine builder"? i am an engine builder....and i'm just as real as the guy doing this for a living. my engines may or may not outrun a snail, but they are mine and they are real....sometimes really fast and then sometimes really slow....but real none the less.

comments like this hurt.....not only the sport, but they hurt feelings too....whether you give a hoot or not....i am NOT an imitation engine builder....I AM, AS WELL AS OTHERS ON HERE, A REAL ENGINE BUILDER. my engines may not ever touch a dyno, i may not flow the head or do a thousand things that another buidler might....but i AM a real engine builder...don't ever kid yourself......just because i don't do it for a living, don't ever underestimate the backyared builder...

like one other posted on here.....make a mistake of underestimating me....and you might just be suprized while i pass you by....

and elmer...you are so right....support the shops, the suppliers and karting in general.....i am currently supporting a rookie and another friend who is wanting to get into karting....the rookie is a friends son who bought one of my older chassis so that his son could race and we are building his motor....the other friend is getting his motor together and using my back-up chassis.......and everything i have is sponsored and supported out of my back pocket.......and i am for real....

nuff said...lets move on...

MR WADDEL
maybe we need some one to get into the farm gate and equipment business in your area cut prices and do it cheaper then the business your daddy built might need to deal with issues many kart shops deal with every day its called survival your views might be diffrerent when and or if the income changes justn saying

Please this is not a "LOOK AT ME - LOOK AT ME" thread or a thread about how much or how little you work . or that you can make more money in one day than others here on Bobs can make in a month . these guys are not trying to hear this . this is a thread about the cost of clone engines . not your income . we have ALOT of B4C members that are young and working minimum wage jobs , do their best by their families and still manage to race . they dont want to read about your financial status..........

Neither do they need to read about you pointing that out, or making that post just to complain about what i said. I rarely say anything to try and offend someone, but your post was just uncalled for. The only reason i said anything was because Kart43 had asked a question and i wanted to give him a little background about myself. It has nothing to do with being some "Look at Me" person like you said, if you knew anything about me, you would know that couldnt be farther from how i am. I suggest taking the time to get to know someone before saying something like that towards them.

I also did not say anything about builders shouldnt be able to charge for their labor, where did that come from? What i said was basically that there is no reason that someone cant take the time to learn how to build an engine themself instead of complaining about the prices that a builder charges to build an engine for them. If someone has a complaint about what they are paying for an engine to be built, then they should do something about it and try building their own instead of complaining about the cost. I know builders have overhead and costs associated with their buisness and thats where alot of their price comes from, and i completely respect that. I just am not going to go out and spend $700+ on an engine that i can take the time to build myself, thats why you dont see me making threads complaining about the cost of an engine like some people do on here. Sorry if you find a post iv made to be offensive, i tend to be blunt and to the point sometimes.

Neither do they need to read about you pointing that out, or making that post just to complain about what i said. I rarely say anything to try and offend someone, but your post was just uncalled for. The only reason i said anything was because Kart43 had asked a question and i wanted to give him a little background about myself. It has nothing to do with being some "Look at Me" person like you said, if you knew anything about me, you would know that couldnt be farther from how i am. I suggest taking the time to get to know someone before saying something like that towards them.

this is a Open Forum . you put that information out there for anyone to read . and interpret how they want . so it was typed , so it shall be read and commented on .

I also did not say anything about builders shouldnt be able to charge for their labor, where did that come from? What i said was basically that there is no reason that someone cant take the time to learn how to build an engine themself instead of complaining about the prices that a builder charges to build an engine for them. If someone has a complaint about what they are paying for an engine to be built, then they should do something about it and try building their own instead of complaining about the cost. I know builders have overhead and costs associated with their buisness and thats where alot of their price comes from, and i completely respect that. I just am not going to go out and spend $700+ on an engine that i can take the time to build myself, thats why you dont see me making threads complaining about the cost of an engine like some people do on here. Sorry if you find a post iv made to be offensive, i tend to be blunt and to the point sometimes.
i like this post , well said......

MR WADDEL
maybe we need some one to get into the farm gate and equipment business in your area cut prices and do it cheaper then the business your daddy built might need to deal with issues many kart shops deal with every day its called survival your views might be diffrerent when and or if the income changes justn saying

For your information, there are plenty in the same buisness i am in where im from, in fact theres more in my area than anywhere else in the country, but does that mean i should just give up and find another buisness? No it doesnt, it means i either can step up and find new ways to sell equipment, or keep doing the best i can. There are alot of comments on here directed at me for what seems like no other reason than to try and put me down or get under my skin. Whats the reason for all of this? I have never said this before on here, but if you dont like something iv said, use that little mouse of yours and scroll on down past my comment, nobody is forcing you to agree with or like anything i said. Its getting annoying in this thread when all i do is try to help people and from time to time ill offer my opinion on something or say something about myself, and people just twist that any way they can. You guys should really get to know someone before being an ass to them or tryiing to put someone down.

And Mr Patterson, how dumb can you be to misspell someones name, when its clearly spelled on the page in front of you? I can be a smartass too, ya know

this is a Open Forum . you put that information out there for anyone to read . and interpret how they want . so it was typed , so it shall be read and commented on .

I understand what your saying, and i agree with you, however, some of the harsh comments coming from people are unneccesary, especially when they try to twist things to make it seem like i put myself above everyone else and act like im just better than anyone or something when im nothing like that.

i have a question concerning a comment on here.....what do you consider to be a "real engine builder"? i am an engine builder....and i'm just as real as the guy doing this for a living. my engines may or may not outrun a snail, but they are mine and they are real....sometimes really fast and then sometimes really slow....but real none the less.

comments like this hurt.....not only the sport, but they hurt feelings too....whether you give a hoot or not....i am NOT an imitation engine builder....I AM, AS WELL AS OTHERS ON HERE, A REAL ENGINE BUILDER. my engines may not ever touch a dyno, i may not flow the head or do a thousand things that another buidler might....but i AM a real engine builder...don't ever kid yourself......just because i don't do it for a living, don't ever underestimate the backyared builder...

like one other posted on here.....make a mistake of underestimating me....and you might just be suprized while i pass you by....

and elmer...you are so right....support the shops, the suppliers and karting in general.....i am currently supporting a rookie and another friend who is wanting to get into karting....the rookie is a friends son who bought one of my older chassis so that his son could race and we are building his motor....the other friend is getting his motor together and using my back-up chassis.......and everything i have is sponsored and supported out of my back pocket.......and i am for real....

nuff said...lets move on...

Hold on now. You, yourself have a few opinionated rants within the archives here. Very seldom do you see folks making such harsh comments about doing bodily harm to individuals the way you have. Lets not forget we have influential people of the younger generation who may perceive this as acceptable behavior.

Back