Engine timing

siraido

I’ve built a monster of a engine and I can’t seem to get the timing right on the engine. The ign timing on the cam says 34 and that’s where it’s at but I’m running a 1.6 pound flywheel and Briggs animal coil does that change the timing?

ARC 6600 uses the Briggs PVL coil and its straight key timing is 29 degrees
ARC 6602 uses the stock clone / Honda coil and its straight key timing is 32 degrees
they are both light weight flywheels.

should I advance or retard the timing to get it too run?
Pull the valve cover. Roll the engine (the way it will normally run) until both valves are open the exact same amount. The piston should be at TDC or real close. Adjust it to TDC. Mark the flywheel with a Sharpie. Make a second mark at 90 degrees from the first mark (this mark should be at a backward rotation). Now make another mark at 1/3rd that distance (from the TDC mark and towards the 90 degree mark). Set the coil at the firing position. It should start. It may not be at an exact degree, but it will be close.

I jumped to the conclusion that the keyway on either the crank or flywheel is in the wrong place. If they were correct it would have at least started. Maybe not run very well or ran very hot, but at least started. It sounds more like it is firing with no compression (a valve open). If he uses my procedure and it still does not fire, I would be checking compression and fuel flow next.

Not really , inadequate info
Some don't understand the degree's per inch concept .
360 inch circumference divided by 360* equals one degree per inch.
Circumference ÷360= degrees per inch or parts of an inch.

Last edited:
Can you please tell me if I understand correctly that a PVL coil must be used with a PVL flywheel?

I'm using a PVL flywheel with a standard clone coil, it works, but I can't tell exactly what angle. Is this use allowed?

What could be the consequences of using a clone coil and a PVL flywheel? I don't have the option to use a PVL coil, but I've been using a PVL flywheel with a clone coil for 2 seasons and haven't noticed any ignition problems.

Just to let me know.

Can you please tell me if I understand correctly that a PVL coil must be used with a PVL flywheel?

I'm using a PVL flywheel with a standard clone coil, it works, but I can't tell exactly what angle. Is this use allowed?
What could be the consequences of using a clone coil and a PVL flywheel? I don't have the option to use a PVL coil, but I've been using a PVL flywheel with a clone coil for 2 seasons and haven't noticed any ignition problems.

Just to let me know.
i don't mean to be rude but start another thread. You are going to confuse people with the original guy talking about using an arc

the best way to use parts that don't really belong together.. if thats my understanding.. is to start from scratch... dial inicator on the piston to confirm TDC. Roll back to the point of 29 or 30 (for this application) so you are in advance. line up the right side of the 2nd leg of you coil with the trailing edge of the 2nd magnet then tighten the crap out of it....(54 # for my application) re check all your numbers. !!!! be sure to have done all your lapping and cleaning first !!! set the coil to 40-60 and run it. JUST MY .02 this has always worked for me...

Just to let me know.
There are 2 different pvl's being discussed here. one is a pvl digital animal coil three legs .
the pvl clone flywheel is an sfi rated flywheel .
if you have the pvl flywheel and clone coil they are compatible.
the pvl animal coil is not compatible with a standard 2 magnet flywheel..

Back