Fly wheel

I use the PVL wheel, mainly because it comes with 28* timing, and because the weight of this wheel is right in the middle, so it works great on both short tight tracks and bigger momentum tracks as well, not having to change flywheels for different tracks is a plus to me, and the PVL only costed me $60 when i got it.

arc 6619 makes great power and arc customer service is the best their is.

Flywheels dont make power, the main reason for billet wheels is for safety and weight savings. The weight savings also allows them to rev faster, but they also deccelerate faster as well. They do not make power

Mr. Weddle Flywheels do produce power. The magnet design on many Billet flywheels are far superior to the stock or even the old steel BSP wheels. By changing how the magnets reads and charges the coil you can create and hotter, faster more accurate spark. Having a strong rare magnet only goes so far in producing power, I'm not going into detail on how we changed things but the new magnet design in the 6619 will produce more power than the older design. It is because of this design you can fine tune the engine by adding or subtracting the coil gap. This is something we developed over months of testing and redesigning with the 6619. True the less weight allows the engine to rev faster and decelerate faster but the way a flywheel is balanced will also free up top end HP by reducing power robbing harmonics. One thing most people over look when comparing flywheels is its recovery time, meaning when you slip, or bump someone on the track and loose forward momentum a slightly lighter weight flywheel will recover quicker than a heavier one. So unless you can run the exact same time every lap (and no human can) recovery time is very important. I understand that you have a personal preference on flywheels, why did you choose the one you run...?

Last edited:
The purpose of a flywheel is to store rotational energy produced by the function of what it is attached to.............Look it up

Last edited:
Yep, that is one purpose of a flywheel. However on a small engine it also serves as a ignition source (magnet), a cooling fan (fins), a balancer and a harmonic absorber. All of these things are what can make a small engine flywheel good or not so good. When developing a performance flywheel it makes a big difference when you focus on ALL the factors, not just one or two.

Yep, that is one purpose of a flywheel. However on a small engine it also serves as a ignition source (magnet), a cooling fan (fins), a balancer and a harmonic absorber. All of these things are what can make a small engine flywheel good or not so good. When developing a performance flywheel it makes a big difference when you focus on ALL the factors, not just one or two.
Jody; Totally agree,I just wanted to shoe the purpose of a Flywheel in general, as defined for all applications,But you are 100% correct on a small engine application as well as a place to hang the recoil starter cup.

Yes Sir, glad you mentioned the starter cup. Over the years I have seen some issues in regards to vibration with some of those. When I dyno an engine I use one of our 6618 adjustable flywheels to get the timing right where it needs to be for that engine. Since the cup will not fit on the 6618 (something we are looking into) I use a standard starter nut and set the timing accordingly with the 6619 afterwards. Anyway the engine goes out and when I get it back I rebuild and use the original set up (6619, starter cup and nut) while dynoing and I noticed some new vibrations that was not there before, nothing major but different than before. Upon investigating I noticed that some cups are not round, warped or don't fit right and this will cause mid and high RPM vibrations. I don't find them as often as I use to but I still find a few every now and then. Just a little free FYI...

Mr. Weddle Flywheels do produce power. The magnet design on many Billet flywheels are far superior to the stock or even the old steel BSP wheels. By changing how the magnets reads and charges the coil you can create and hotter, faster more accurate spark. Having a strong rare magnet only goes so far in producing power, I'm not going into detail on how we changed things but the new magnet design in the 6619 will produce more power than the older design. It is because of this design you can fine tune the engine by adding or subtracting the coil gap. This is something we developed over months of testing and redesigning with the 6619. True the less weight allows the engine to rev faster and decelerate faster but the way a flywheel is balanced will also free up top end HP by reducing power robbing harmonics. One thing most people over look when comparing flywheels is its recovery time, meaning when you slip, or bump someone on the track and loose forward momentum a slightly lighter weight flywheel will recover quicker than a heavier one. So unless you can run the exact same time every lap (and no human can) recovery time is very important. I understand that you have a personal preference on flywheels, why did you choose the one you run...?

Do you have any proof of this? That it was actually the flywheel producing the power? I am not a believer in that. I chose the one i run based on the price, and it has worked out pretty well for me. BTW, i have seen the shiny ARC billet wheels on some of the engines my competition runs, leading me to believe the PVL is just as good as any other, even when it is half or 1/3 of the price. Nothing against you or your flywheels at all, just dont believe the hype that it is actually the flywheel itself that is giving you more power, and not the lighter rotating mass you get with a lighter flywheel, any lighter flywheel. Id like to see some proof that it is in fact the flywheel itself.

This is what I have, my "house" AKRA legal engine has a PVL, My first Hemi Predator has a PVL (cut the taper on the crank), my RWYB has a ARC, my Mini bike has a Predator with a ARC, my dual engine kart has two ARC's, I have a 6618 and 2 new 6619 ARC's not installed, and I believe 4 other engine with ARC flywheels. I also have a Raceseng not installed. I believe you wont get outrun because of the differences in a flywheel from a PVL, ARC, or Raceseng. Set the timing with a degree wheel and a timing light, and race. JMO

Oh the poor misunderstood flywheel..It has more than one job . It not only gives N takes energy, it provides a source of electrons for the ignition, it provides a base to set ignition timing, its a balancing device , it creates a gyroscopic effect , it cools the motor, it can provide better braking or lack of braking, it can provide better acceleration or lack of acceleration, It can Kill a motors performance or enhance it. Put a gear on it and you can even have an electric starter...AHhh, poor little flywheel...soooo misunderstood.

Do you have any proof of this? That it was actually the flywheel producing the power? I am not a believer in that. I chose the one i run based on the price, and it has worked out pretty well for me. BTW, i have seen the shiny ARC billet wheels on some of the engines my competition runs, leading me to believe the PVL is just as good as any other, even when it is half or 1/3 of the price. Nothing against you or your flywheels at all, just dont believe the hype that it is actually the flywheel itself that is giving you more power, and not the lighter rotating mass you get with a lighter flywheel, any lighter flywheel. Id like to see some proof that it is in fact the flywheel itself.

So you are giving advice based on its cheaper, I've seen them around and the butt dyno. I am glad that the flywheel you are running is serving you well and I hope you get many years of service from it. My friend hype may get you started in a business but it will not keep you in business. I just posted a couple of dyno sheets on our facebook page (ARC Racing), cause for the life of me can never make a link work on here. Please be sure to go by and check it out.

So you are giving advice based on its cheaper, I've seen them around and the butt dyno. I am glad that the flywheel you are running is serving you well and I hope you get many years of service from it. My friend hype may get you started in a business but it will not keep you in business. I just posted a couple of dyno sheets on our facebook page (ARC Racing), cause for the life of me can never make a link work on here. Please be sure to go by and check it out.

No offense to you, but you are one of the manufacturers of flywheels, i would prefer to see dyno sheets from someone whos information would not be biased toward their own product, to be honest. You can make a dyno read anything you want, this is a known fact.

Sneaks, do you have dyno sheets of various flywheels used on the same engine, same day? Or you Barry?

Back