Flywheel explode

bhill

How many rpm have you guys seen engine turn with stock hemi flywheel stayin intact?
Also do you recommend cutting plastic fins?

Have had several fail on the dyno in the last 4 years. Everyone of them broke below 5,000 rpm and when the magnet comes off it's like a 9mm bullet.

The class we have been runing is a $150 claiming class. hard to invest in a $100 fly wheel and then give it away if you get claimed.

The class we have been runing is a $150 claiming class. hard to invest in a $100 fly wheel and then give it away if you get claimed.

An exploding flywheel can claim "you" or parts of you, and then your's or your family's costs are humongous.

Claiming doesn't usually include anything that doesn't touch oil (short block). I'd be checking that out and putting a billet wheel on. You aren't the only one on the track and exploding wheel can throw projectiles a pretty good way... Just saying.

DD

if you are worried or can't afford about spending a hundred bucks on safety you shouldn't be racing jmo

if you are worried or can't afford about spending a hundred bucks on safety you shouldn't be racing jmo

Explain that to tracks in Kentucky, none of them want to allow the billet flywheel and raise the claim price accordingly....which would be the smarter move

if this is a safety issue this should be brought to the tracks attention or find a new track that will listen

Rev Limiter Coils are on their way.. BUT not intended to save cast iron stock flywheels... The initial idea is 6000 rpms...

The tracks think they will lose racers if they go to a billet wheel, and they may very well lose some. But if a wheel breaks and hurts someone they will lose everything. Apparently a gamble they are willing to take.

if this is a safety issue this should be brought to the tracks attention or find a new track that will listen

When you only have a couple of tracks that race box stock as it is, you really don't have much choice other than either follow their rules or find something else to race. Last 3 engines of ours that got claimed had a billet flywheel that went with the engine for that ridiculous $160 claim. I chose to race opens instead lately, have only ran a few box stock races all season last year. It's not the track owners that are the problem it is the cheap racers who will throw a fit about spending $100 on a flywheel but wont hesitate to dump $300 into a $150 claim engine....makes no sense to me but go figure. I'd rather see tech and keep our engines myself

If the track rules are just ridiculous, you can always run a billet flywheel for saftey then refuse the claim and take the DQ.

Back