Flywheel rubbing block

boomer216

My aluminum flywheel is rubbing my Predator block on the boss of where the governor gear pin goes through. It doesn't rub all the way around just in one spot of the flywheel. Should I grind the boss on the block down or just let it eat the aluminum away when running and not worry about it? It kinda concerns me. I never had this issue before

Id lightly grind the block for some clearance....make sure you check it again with the sidecover on the engine, sometimes with sidecover off, the crank will slide over enough for the flywheel to get into the block a little

Does not sound right I would be doing a triple check. Never heard of anyone else having issues, don't be so quick to do hack fix.

It's correct flywheel and yes Jody it is the same flywheel I have been having issues out of. It has only been lapped after it slipped so 3 times. I had it torqued ready to go but took back off to check for a ridge on flywheel from lapping. Was no ridge and was going back to install it and that's when I noticed it rubs. Only rubs in one spot of flywheel though not all the way around.

No I am not using a key Bennie its same flywheel I been having trouble with slipping. It didn't rub before but now it does after checking for the ridge you told me to look for

When installed and you turn the crankshaft is there any visual runout, does the flywheel appear to run true and straight? This flywheel has been on this engine before without rubbing, what have you changed?

I have not changed nothing but trying to lap in to stay and not slip. Maybe I had it on a little crooked and no I see no runout

You have ran this flywheel before without rubbing issues, yes? You are doing something seriously wrong if a tapered connection is installed crooked. What are you now using to torque tight?

Did the flywheel just slip or did it spin on the crankshaft? if it spun any then it may have opened up the taper in the flywheel causing it to set further up the taper of the crank allowing it to rub the block

You say you have had problems with this flywheel before
you have taken it off a few times.now you lap it to remove
a ridge not being smart but how did you pull it off ?
sounds like the flywheel is now bent a little on one side
and that's why it only hits in one spot.

As far as I know there been no rubbing I haven't really paid it much attention. I have a 1/2" drive ft/lb torque wrench to torque flywheel down now. And it has slipped as much as 50* but I don't think it has spun. I did not lap to remove a ridge I removed to check for a ridge that Bennie mentioned to me that may have caused it not to seat properly. But I noticed it rubbed when I was snugging up to get ready to torque down

Can only be a couple of things if it hits only in one place. Either the crank is bent or you lapped it crooked.

The lapping process remove very little material, it would be a painful task to lap one enough to cause contact. I do remember a long time ago on this forum a similar thread, after many posts and conversations the OP finally came back and fessed up. He had installed the side cover without the bearing in place and the crank was riding on the seal only. Boomer check out that possibility.

How do you install a side cover without a bearing in it....common sense should tell you that the crank flopping up and down with the side cover on is not a good thing lol. I guess not everyone checks endplay when they put a side cover on?

Who mentioned 'Common Sense'....is he here also? Kart43 has a point...as long as the engine is Not running, the seal will support the Crank and one would never know the bearing isn't in place unless they check for 'thrust'.

Back