freight train clones

crandaas

Ive built a chassis to run 2 clones freight train style. Im looking for options on how to link the 2 motors together and then link them to the axle. Whats the best way. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to Bob's . crandass if you can post pic of your frame so us racer can see what type of frame you made . Someone will chime in.

Shoe clutch on front engine with a chain to a gear on the second engine. A second gear on the outside of the crank of the rear engine with a chain to an axle clutch. Seen it done that way a few times with animals and flatheads. If you need a freight train mount, I know someone that has one.

Well it is basic kart fram that has the engine mount tubes just continued forward and ties back in to the frame tube going to the rf caster plate. As far as mounts I had in mind of using 2 mounts like a mega mount or somthing similarity where im able to slide the motor one way or the other... I dont have pictures yet because it is not back from being painted. As far as the linking of 2 motors, ive read somewhere that someone used a shoe clutch on front going to a clutch on the 2nd motor that had 2 sets of gears. Used one set to link the motors and the other set went to the rear axle gear hub. Ive even thought of running a clutch outboard on the front motor straight back to a gear hub and the 2nd motor inboard like normal back to another gear hub. Just not sure if it would work well that way. Anyone seen this done what would be pros and cons

Nothing wrong at that H.P. but I'd consider using pullys and a timing belt, Smooth power transmission and they don't hurt 1/2 as much as a chain would.

Havent seen anything on pullys, got any info where I could find pulleys to fit a 3/4 shaft? Chains seem to hold up on one open motor just fine, so if run a separate chain from each motor to there own gear hub, wouldn't that hold up?

Havent seen anything on pullys, got any info where I could find pulleys to fit a 3/4 shaft? Chains seem to hold up on one open motor just fine, so if run a separate chain from each motor to there own gear hub, wouldn't that hold up?
Probably not.
This is not a new issue.

I have some pics of what I think is his set up on my phone, regardless if it is his or not I have pics of a set up with frieght train clones with belt drive and tensioner. Someone put a lot of effort into it. If you want me to send them to you I can.

Yeh ive seen pictures, his kart looks awesome, wish I had the money for the innovative parts that used to hook them together

Cheapest way to connect them is going to be as follows Use the 15 degree mounts as planned if you already have enough frame rail to accommodate them both inline. I did not and just fabbed up a 3/4" x 4 1/2" alum plate to mount them too not using the butterflies. They will need to be offset slightly for the drive system. Then use beefed up butterflies to mount the alum mount to normal frame rails....one of the 15 degree mounts stationary(rear mount)the front slot for chain adjustment. Connecting the engines together and to the axle.....front engine run noram shoe clutch inboard to a sprocket inboard on rear motor, then sprocket outboard of rear motor to a jackshaft (burris sells a nice one that goes right on the 15 degree mount) Or rear motor direct to an axle clutch/ both options will work. problem is going to be keeping the chains and sprockets cool on any decent size track. We literally melted sprockets due to the short chains and extreme chain speed and heat developed. Duals are not for the faint of heart. They are nice and can be very fast, but they require ALOT of attention...that's been my experience anyway. The belt drive stuff is the way to go, but its not cheap and its a lot of work just finding stuff that will fit your application. If your into innovation and love to tinker and build things yourself your definitely on the right track. If your looking for a turn key twin set-up that is just a bolt on deal...not likely to find anything out there. If you do I can assure you someone spent a TON of time on it if its a good working system, and probably wont let it go cheap.

Contact Robert Berlin, AKA (Big Dog) about the one he did for GDAC, we spent a good 2years working out all the bugs with Bob and have a beautiful working piece for freight train F200's that would work for clones or animals....

Pulleys with a Taper-Lock insert are commercially available. Or you could get with a nominal size hole like 1/2" and bore, ream plus broach a key way to fit.

Back